Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18D

Old 09-18-2004, 15:06   #16
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

The implication here is very clear:
Quote:
That's what I was thinking, I think it would be damn near impossible for me to send a baby that small back knowing I could have done something to save it.
It is that the medics and PA that treated that baby released the patient without doing everything they could.

I would hardly qualify that as a "valuable contribution". I would classify it as an undeserved criticism made without the knowledge or experience required to comment.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 15:07   #17
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMuther
Perhaps I did have a little sand in my pussy
couldn't just leave it at his could you? Had to think about it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmuther
...In hindsight though, I got slammed for basically agreeing with NDD's post.
Then the poor pitiful "I'm not SF so nobody likes me" crap

Quote:
Or another way to look at it is non-SF folks get slammed for voicing an opinion here

And THIS statement
Quote:
even if they have valuable input.
is a matter of opinion-currently yours

Quote:
You win, I'll go back to lurking and my other sites.
Jeez- you sound like you're 10

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04

Last edited by Eagle5US; 09-18-2004 at 15:08. Reason: mistype
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 15:17   #18
BadMuther
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc
The implication here is very clear:

It is that the medics and PA that treated that baby released the patient without doing everything they could.

I would hardly qualify that as a "valuable contribution". I would classify it as an undeserved criticism made without the knowledge or experience required to comment.

NDD, it wasn't meant as a criticism. It was an opinion of mine, of which you showed me a differing point of view.

Eagle, while you might not see it, it's a fact that people who aren't SF get slammed on here on a regular basis. Off the top of my head I can think of more then a few occasions. Your house, your rules.
Old 09-18-2004, 15:19   #19
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Or another way to look at it is non-SF folks get slammed for voicing an opinion here, even if they have valuable input.

You win, I'll go back to lurking and my other sites.
I have not noticed that here.

What I have noticed is people popping off with opinion and commentary without the subject matter expertise to back up their post.

"Valuable input"?? It sounded like criticism of the medical personnel on site to me as well, from someone who does not have all of the facts and has admittedly never walked a mile in their shoes.

I have seen other people here get corrected, suck it up, shake it off, and get back to business with a lesson learned and no whining about it.

I see SF guys getting into it with other SF guys in disagreements, then working it out or agreeing to disagree. There are no thought police here.

Have an SF Day, whatever you decide.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 15:28   #20
BadMuther
Guerrilla

TR,

Sir, I was attempting to suck it up and drive on, but Eagle's post struck a nerve.

I was not saying in this instance that I was giving valuable input. I was giving an opinion, albeit an uneducated one. NDD corrected me for it.

Some of what I was referring to Sir came from you. (non-SF point of view being looked down upon.)

I'm pretty much done with this thread as anything else will look like whining.
Old 09-18-2004, 15:29   #21
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
NDD, it wasn't meant as a criticism. It was an opinion of mine, of which you showed me a differing point of view.

Eagle, while you might not see it, it's a fact that people who aren't SF get slammed on here on a regular basis. Off the top of my head I can think of more then a few occasions. Your house, your rules.
In this matter your opinion carries no weight. You are not SF, you are not a medic and you were not there. And since you are neither SF nor a medic, you have never been in this type of situation.

The 2nd half of this is BS and you know it. Most of the members of this board are not SF and they are treated with the same respect and more tolerance than any one of us. And most of us know what would have happened to somebody that posted a remark criticizing either of the organizations you were affiliated with on any one of several other sites.

The last tidbit however is quite correct.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 09-18-2004, 15:34   #22
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Eagle, while you might not see it, it's a fact that people who aren't SF get slammed on here on a regular basis.
You are right, I don't see it

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 15:35   #23
BadMuther
Guerrilla

Quote:
In this matter your opinion carries no weight. You are not SF, you are not a medic and you were not there. And since you are neither SF nor a medic, you have never been in this type of situation.

The 2nd half of this is BS and you know it. Most of the members of this board are not SF and they are treated with the same respect and more tolerance than any one of us. And most of us know what would have happened to somebody that posted a remark criticizing either of the organizations you were affiliated with on any one of several other sites.

The last tidbit however is quite correct.
Agree with the first part.

2nd part. Yeah, a lot of non-SF guys get along great here because they choose to go along with whatever the QP's say. I still stand by the opinion that a non-SF vet's opinion hold little weight, and one does not have to look far to see examples of this.
Old 09-18-2004, 15:44   #24
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Agree with the first part.

2nd part. Yeah, a lot of non-SF guys get along great here because they choose to go along with whatever the QP's say. I still stand by the opinion that a non-SF vet's opinion hold little weight, and one does not have to look far to see examples of this.
Your personal opinions have no impact on this board. AL is not SF, his opinion is highly valued by everybody on this board. Same with RL, Jimbo, Smokin' Joe, the ladies, everybody. Solid is a Solid contributor. Air.177 is as well. FrontSight has made an impression in a very short time. The only problems I have seen is when somebody tries to drift away from their knowledge, which you have done today or doesn't follow the rules. This is not kumbaya.com If you look at the top of every page, it says in big letters - 'Home of the "Quiet Professionals"'. That's us.

However, simple problems have simple solutions. It is what it is. If you don't like it, don't come here.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 09-18-2004, 17:24   #25
Doc
Quiet Professional

I had a Haitian lady bring her baby in to me on sickcall. She told me of the problems her baby had. I took some blood and after doing a thick and thin blood smear figured out the baby had malaria. When we talked about treatment with the mom, she refused saying the local witch Doctor would not allow it.

I wouldn't expect a lot of people to understand some of the things I have seen.

You do the best you can.

Doc

De Oppresso Liber

Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 20:19   #26
BadMuther
Guerrilla

Quote:
Your personal opinions have no impact on this board. AL is not SF, his opinion is highly valued by everybody on this board. Same with RL, Jimbo, Smokin' Joe, the ladies, everybody. Solid is a Solid contributor. Air.177 is as well. FrontSight has made an impression in a very short time. The only problems I have seen is when somebody tries to drift away from their knowledge, which you have done today or doesn't follow the rules. This is not kumbaya.com If you look at the top of every page, it says in big letters - 'Home of the "Quiet Professionals"'. That's us.

However, simple problems have simple solutions. It is what it is. If you don't like it, don't come here.
NDD,

Never said I din't like it here. I enjoy reading, I don't enjoy discussing, for a couple of reasons.

As for non-SF people getting along here just fine-some of the people here don't have a military background and they worship everything that you guys say. A non-SF dissenting voice does not last long.

I do not see a lot of non-SF vets posting on this board. Maybe it's because, like you said, "Your personal opinions have no impact on this board." I can't really think of too many topics for discussion that don't involve someone's personal opinions. Tactics, meds, gear, most things involve different techniques and/or opinions/trains of thought. And then there are topics for discussion like this one.....Are you saying that non-SF individuals opinions just don't count?

All of this started because I stated an opinion about how I MORALLY felt. I was not pretending to be knowledgeable about SF or medicine. I was not criticizing the SF people involved. You assumed that. In fact I was basically agreeing with your post.

I'm sure the docs that had to send that baby back have spent more then a few moments worrying about it's fate. How can I criticize someone like that? I can't and I won't. But like you pointed out, there are reasons for taking certain actions, whether someone agrees or not.

Another part of the problem that I have witnessed on this board between QP's and non-QP's stems from a lack of reading/listening to what the other person wrote. I'm not sure if you guys look at a topic (and the non-SF author) and then make assumptions about it, but I have repeatedly seen instances of communication problems that could have been solved if folks just stepped back and read what was written.

Never had a problem with any SF guys when I was in. Good guys, very helpful. I do have a problem of people thinking that their views are "the only way and the word of God". There's an element here of non-SF people being afraid to speak up or voice an opinion for fear of pissing off a QP. Not very conducive to a good discussion.

But that's okay, like you said, there is a simple solution to that.

Good Day.

Last edited by BadMuther; 09-18-2004 at 20:24.
BadMuther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 04:38   #27
Martin

Quote:
NDD,

Never said I din't like it here. I enjoy reading, I don't enjoy discussing, for a couple of reasons.

As for non-SF people getting along here just fine-some of the people here don't have a military background and they worship everything that you guys say. A non-SF dissenting voice does not last long.

[...]

Never had a problem with any SF guys when I was in. Good guys, very helpful. I do have a problem of people thinking that their views are "the only way and the word of God". There's an element here of non-SF people being afraid to speak up or voice an opinion for fear of pissing off a QP. Not very conducive to a good discussion.

But that's okay, like you said, there is a simple solution to that.

Good Day.
I hesitate to write anything right here, because it looks like a deal the moderators and QPs should take care of. I'm not trying to police this board, but as I'm one of those you referred to I think it's valid. This has nothing to do with the initial remarks of the thread.

I agree with your claim that some here are afraid to voice an opinion for fear of pissing of a QP, worship, or whatever. It is natural that somebody off the street without any military experience who suddenly is faced with very knowledgeable people with experience in areas held in high esteem to him, or her, might have second thoughts of stirring the pot. I was at SOCNET for four years and am still wary before posting anything, anywhere.

What I do not at all agree with is that non-SF are not allowed to contribute. The message I've received in stickies, through posts and through PM from Kyobanim when I was afraid that I'd lowered the quality of the board with two posts (which I deleted right before his reply, which stated it wasn't necessary) is very simple:
Everybody here does not have the same brain and will think differently, and that is allright. What one shouldn't do is to say things which does not contribute and that which cannot be backed up.

We all have different ways of expressing this, and it seems that the respectful ones are all ok. I'm sure TR can defend himself, but here's a thought I had when NDD once said "Just be careful poking TR with a stick (rapid fire questions), he's been a bad mood for the last 20 years."
I'd just say he is serious.

Just a non-SF POV, I've got nothing more say.