Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18D

Old 03-21-2008, 00:57   #1
Ak68w
Asset

Prior Ranger Medics?

It is my understanding that Ranger Medics go through SOCM and that SOCM is Phase I of 18D training. My question is this: if you are a Ranger Medic who can't take the batts anymore and are comming over to the SF side of the house, will you go through SOCM over again, or will they fastrack you as a way to produce more 18D's? Thanks in advance, gents.
It's simply being too lazy to give a damn what the weaker side of you thinks!" - A Drill Sergeant of mine.
Ak68w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:50   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Why are you asking this question?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 20:17   #3
Ak68w
Asset

I read your reply a few hours ago, Sir. But instead of writing a reply right then and there, I decided to get off the computer and go really think about it awhile. I wasnt really sure why I felt the need for some reason to do some time in the Regiment before coming to the SF. After thinking about it, I've come up w/ two reasons:

1) I once read that in order to be a good unconventional soldier you must first be a GREAT conventional soldier. In that spirit, I don't want to sell myself or my future team mates short by skipping part of the process. I'm a pretty damn good soldier now, but I feel that by maximizing my conventional self, I can become an even better unconventional soldier.

2) I guess to be honest I feel like I'd be cheating by not doing hard time in a hardcore "hooah" unit. To make a comparison, if MIT called me today and offered me a slot in Physics Graduate School, I'd say no, because I haven't even completed my bachelors yet. Even though I might be able to survive, I want to arrive ready to compete, and for that it doesn't matter how good of a student I am, it's a solid foundation that's key.

Of course, I know a lot about school, but nothing about SF (at least nothing compared to you QPs). Am I wrong or off base here, Sir? If so, please let me know (I'd hate to make a decision based on false premise).

Btw, thank you for asking me that. Honestly, Id never even asked myself that. Many thanks, Sir!
It's simply being too lazy to give a damn what the weaker side of you thinks!" - A Drill Sergeant of mine.
Old 03-22-2008, 20:13   #4
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Don't worry about SOCM vs ADSOCM...you have a whole lot of hurdles ahead of you before that comes into play.
If, by chance, it ever DOES come into play...then you will go to whatever course you are told to go through. The face of military (and most certainly Special Operations) medicine is constantly evolving. They didn't even HAVE SOCM when I attended and the ADSOCM course of today is a mere shadow of what I was taught...if and when you generate the opportunity to attend either of these courses, they may be unrecognizable to the curriculum that is taught today. The needs of today's Special Operations medical provider are drastically different then they were 20 years ago. 10 years distant, the speed of evolution may continue to radically change the course of independent medical practice.

If the answer were yes; that you would have to repeat a portion of the training, would it affect your decision? If not, then why pose the question...

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 20:48   #5
Ak68w
Asset

You make a good point, Sir. Who knows where I'll be or where Spec Ops Medicine will be in 3 years, 4 years, and so forth?

I'm just wondering how benneficial a few years in a tough conventional unit will help shape me as the best possible unconventional soldier I can be. Or is it the case that unless you ARE the best conventional soldier SFAS will weed you out, and you won't even get in the door? I'm just not wanting to cut myself or my future battle buddies short. Thats all I guess there is too it. Thanks for the reply, Sir.
Old 03-22-2008, 21:02   #6
Ghostracer11
SF Candidate

Repeat Question

If I'm not mistaken did you not already ask this question over on the Military.com boards and receive excellent advice from some of the QP's over there?

http://forums.military.com/eve/forum.../7560053471001
Old 03-23-2008, 02:58   #7
Ak68w
Asset

You're absolutely right on. Some great advice indeed. But I never found an actual definitive answer as to whether or not Ranger Medics fastrack in 18D training. I was simply wondering if anyone here had done it, or had ever heard of such a thing.

You're right on to call me on it though!
Old 03-23-2008, 09:40   #8
Ghostracer11
SF Candidate

To answer that part of the question, if you do decide to go Ranger medic and then later make it through SFAS to become a Delta, you would start the course right where you left it at the beginning of SFMS. But with changes always going you might have to go back and redo portions that have been updated or are just plain new. In my SFMS class we had 3 former SOCM medics start up with us who all had to redo portions of the SOCM course that were different from when they went through. I'll leave my opinion out as other have already given you the best answers. But that's how it's running now, whether it's like that in a year or three who knows.
Old 03-24-2008, 00:07   #9
Ak68w
Asset

Very true. From what I've heard/read no two days are alike over there; constanstly changing. Awesome reply; thank you!
Old 03-24-2008, 04:16   #10
Heretic
Quiet Professional

B]"From what I've heard/read no two days are alike over there; constantly changing."[/B]

You can read all you want about being a ranger or being SF. The little piece of cloth does not make you one. From my experience nothing was ever like I had heard or read about. It was different then my G2. You want to know why? Personal experience. Read and learn what you can but do not take what you read or hear as law or the bible. You are simply gaining SA which may lead you in the right direction or lead you astray. There comes a time when you simply need to man up and commit.

EDIT: Better Ideas.

You have obviously been asking questions on several boards trying to get information on furthering your medical career. As you know or should know you can not guarantee that you will be an 18D even if you are on orders to the Q course for 18D it is a long road that most likely you will not finish. You simply need to shut up. Lurk the boards for more information. Get your self in shape (speaking of which) and start focusing on a 25 meter target. Right now it seems to me that you are over run with ideas and ideals. Either stop dreaming and become or accept who you are.

Last edited by Heretic; 03-24-2008 at 14:28.
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote