Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18D

Old 06-03-2007, 18:33   #1
Dub
Guerrilla

Training at MCV... let me know

Hi 18Ds,
Just wanted to let you all know that I have been accepted at MCV and will be starting my M1 year there August 13th of this year. It was either 18D or med school for me, so I just want to extend an invitation to any of you training there that you have a med school friend there for the next 4 years. Not that any of us will have much time to do anything, but study and work. I will be living in the graduate student on campus housing for my first year at least, which is in walking distance of the hospital! I will obviously be a newbie myself there for a while, but once I learn my way around and get into my classes I will be happy to help any of you out if I can, whether by showing you Richmond, or medical stuff as I learn more. Just PM me.

If we ever get a weekend off my parents live down on the Chesapeake Bay and we love to go fishing, so if any of you like that Im always looking for new fishing buddies, or kayaking buddies.

- Don

Last edited by Dub; 06-03-2007 at 18:37.
Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 19:16   #2
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Don:

Congrats on being accepted into medical school. I am sure you made the right choice for you. Have fun and study hard.

As for Richmond, enjoy having the SOCM students around. Speaking from my own experiences, I think you might be surprised by how much teaching (the nursing as well as med students and resident staff) the SOCM students do while they are on rotation. It is definitely not a one sided learning experience, not insinuating you thought it would be.

Keep us informed and again, best of luck again.

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 06-04-2007 at 06:53.
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:17   #3
FXCOfire
Asset

Congradulations Don...
Just an FYI... I live in the downtown area..

FXCOfire
FXCOfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:44   #4
Dub
Guerrilla

Thanks guys.

Crip,
Trust me I definitely did not mean to seem like it would me one sided. I don't know much right now so I will definitely be doing the learning for many years
Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:52   #5
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub
Thanks guys.

Crip,
Trust me I definitely did not mean to seem like it would me one sided.
Don,

I wasn't insisting you did, and there's nothing to worry about there. I was just mentioning the SOCM guys enjoy teaching as much as they do learning. Sometimes it causes personality conflicts but for the most part everyone likes having them around if for nothing more than having real security in the ER...lol...as well as the extra hands.

Be careful when responding to Trauma callouts though; try not to get run over by the swarm of SOCM guys trying to get into the room.

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:59   #6
Kyobanim

Quote:
Be careful when responding to Trauma callouts though; try not to get run over by the swarm of SOCM guys trying to get into the room.
That sounds like the intro to some good stories.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:18   #7
swatsurgeon
Guerrilla Chief

Nah, trauma breeds trauma....if what comes in isn't exciting, we create some more!!

ss
'Revel in action, translate perceptions into instant judgements, and these into actions that are irrevocable, monumentous and dreadful - all this with lightning speed, in conditions of great stress and in an environment of high tension:what is expected of "us" is the impossible, yet we deliver just that.
(adapted from: Sherwin B. Nuland, MD, surgeon and author: The Wisdom of the Body, 1997 )

Education is the anti-ignorance we all need to better treat our patients. ss, 2008.

The blade is so sharp that the incision is perfect. They don't realize they've been cut until they're out of the fight: A Surgeon Warrior. I use a knife to defend life and to save it. ss (aka traumadoc)
swatsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:34   #8
Swamp
Asset

MCV

Dub, congrats...My wife grauduated MCV med school in 2000. It is a great school except for the parking....I also live in the Richmond area and have been known to tear up the James River canoing and smallmouth fishing...Regards, Swamp
Old 01-30-2008, 09:13   #9
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Dub

Congrats.. best of luck and, make it fun. I live just over the Blue Ridge if you like fresh water fishing.

RF 1
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote