Old 07-01-2004, 12:49   #1
RyanRC187
Asset

ROTC to Warrant?

I'll go ahead and introduce myself before I begin... I'm an Army ROTC Cadet at Florida State University. I actually just joined in April (I originally had plans to enlist under the 18X after I graduated). I'm a Russian major and will likely start taking Arabic in the fall.

While recently attending Leadership Training Camp in Ft. Knox I was able to speak with a few people about different possibilities about serving in a Team.

The one that interested me the most was that I could turn decline my commission as an Army officer after graduation and recieve a Warrant Officer slot. I heard this from several different sources.

To me however, it doesn't sound quite right, I very well may be wrong but I thought Warrant Officers were previously Enlisted personel who got slots to go through Warrant Officer School. Not to mention it doesn't seem right that a person with only ROTC experience and no actual military experience could get a slot.

If any of you have any information about this whatsoever it would be greatly appreciated. I've looked online for the past 2 days and have come up empty handed.

Thank you.
RyanRC187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 13:26   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Re: ROTC to Warrant?

Quote:
Originally posted by RyanRC187
I'll go ahead and introduce myself before I begin... I'm an Army ROTC Cadet at Florida State University. I actually just joined in April (I originally had plans to enlist under the 18X after I graduated). I'm a Russian major and will likely start taking Arabic in the fall.

While recently attending Leadership Training Camp in Ft. Knox I was able to speak with a few people about different possibilities about serving in a Team.

The one that interested me the most was that I could turn decline my commission as an Army officer after graduation and recieve a Warrant Officer slot. I heard this from several different sources.

To me however, it doesn't sound quite right, I very well may be wrong but I thought Warrant Officers were previously Enlisted personel who got slots to go through Warrant Officer School. Not to mention it doesn't seem right that a person with only ROTC experience and no actual military experience could get a slot.

If any of you have any information about this whatsoever it would be greatly appreciated. I've looked online for the past 2 days and have come up empty handed.

Thank you.
Your information is wrong.

You cannot "become" a 180A (SF Warrant Officer) without holding an SF Enlisted MOS, and several other requirements that are easily discovered by doing a Google search, or speaking with an SF Recruiter.

You may be able to do this with some other warrant branches, but not in SF.

It is pretty arrogant to assume that you can just elect to "become" SF qualified.

Odds are against you becoming an SF Officer either, since you have to serve credibly as an officer in another basic branch, then pass SFAS, the Infantry Captain's Career Course, Airborne School, the SFQC, BMLC, and SERE before getting to an ODA.

Haven't you asked this same question/stated this same desire elsewhere?

Good luck regardless.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 13:29   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

FYI, I found 381 Google hits pertaining to this and answering your question in the last 90 seconds.

What have you been doing for 2 days?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 07-01-2004, 18:16   #4
RyanRC187
Asset

I didn't mean to offend you by asking a question that seemed arrogant. I could not find anything online to support the "information" that the number of other people gave to me. More precisely which was being able to recieve a slot to Airborne, SFAS, SFQC, and so on after being commissioned and once completing them becoming a 180A.

I realize that to you this seemed like a foolish question to ask due to your experience and knowledge on the subject, but I (clearly) don't have that. However, I apologize for wasting your time.

Yes, I do know that odds are against me and anyone else to become an 18A, but thats not what I aspire to and me contracting with my ROTC Battalion was resting on that arrogant question I asked earlier.

I do sincerely thank you for helping me with a decision I've been thinking about for the past month.
RyanRC187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 18:33   #5
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I am not sure what the majority of your comments meant, unless they were some weak form of sarcasm, but following a Google search for "180A Special Forces Warrant Officer" lead immediately to this site and info:

http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warran...qu/wo180A.html

Duties: Special Forces Warrant Officers are Combat Leaders and manage all aspects of Special Forces Operations in all operational environments. Supports Joint and Army strategic, operational, and tactical requirements at all levels of execution as concerns mission planning, development, and execution of special operations worldwide. Is responsible for the conduct of unconventional warfare, intelligence collection and strategic reconnaissance, collective security, strike operations, and counter terrorism operations; supports psychological, civil affairs, and deception requirements; and the conduct of other missions, relative to special forces capabilities, as directed.

Minimum prerequisites:

Must be serving as a SSG(E6) or above in CMF 18 MOS and not older than 36 years of age upon application.

Graduate from the Special Forces Intelligence Sergeant Course (18F) or a graduate from the Special Forces (SF) Operations and Intelligence phase of the Special Forces Advance Noncommissioned Officers Course, or the Special Forces Advanced Noncommissioned Officers Course (ANCOC) after October 1994. Note: SSGs may apply for accession into MOS 180A. If all other prerequisites are met with the exception of 18F training, the proponent will notify the applicant's commander. The applicant will be placed on an OML by the proponent and scheduled into the next available 18F course by USASFC(A) G3.

Minimum of 3 years experience at the SF Operational Detachment Alpha (SF-ODA) level.

A minimum Defense Language Aptitude Battery (DLAB) score of 85 or a current DA Form 330 (within one year) with at least a 1+/1+ language proficiency.

Meet the medical fitness standards for SF duty and the SERE level "C" course according to AR 40-501 and include an SF Warrant Officer Candidate medical screening memorandum completed by the applicant's surgeon.

Pass the Army Physical Readiness Test (APRT) by achieving 80% of the maximum standard on each event: pushups, situps, and the two-mile run.

Letters of recommendation are required from the company, battalion, and group commanders and a senior warrant officer from within the applicants unit. Individuals applying from units other than a SF group must receive letters of recommendation from their current chain of command and at least two letters from their previous group chain of command to include a senior warrant officer.

NOTE: WOMEN ARE NOT ALLOWED TO APPLY FOR THIS FIELD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure where you got the bad info that you had, but the right answer was easy enough to find quickly if you looked.

If upon graduation from your ROTC program, you have an SF enlisted MOS, are in the grade of E-6 or above, are a grad of SF O&I or ANCOC, have three years of Team time, a 1+/1+ or better rating in a foreign language, a current SF physical, a minimum of 80% or better in each event on the APFT, and letters of recommendation from your SF company, battalion, and group commanders and a senior warrant officer from within your SF unit, or letters of recommendation from your current chain of command and at least two letters from your previous SF group chain of command to include a senior warrant officer, you might have a shot at a career as a 180A.

And I would add, one hell of an ROTC program to get you to that level.

Have a very SF day.

TR

Old 02-28-2007, 09:12   #6
Prior11b
Asset

Pardom my ignorance

But the 36 year old can be waive? can you be older than 36?
Prior11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:40   #7
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prior11b
But the 36 year old can be waive? can you be older than 36?
Are you an 18 anything? Read the requirements.

TR

Old 02-28-2007, 09:59   #8
Prior11b
Asset

I have

But thanks
Prior11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:08   #9
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prior11b
But thanks
I am missing your point.

Are you an 11B over 36 years old and want to become a 180A?

TR