Old 10-19-2020, 11:28   #871
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacamuelas View Post
I haven't found Lithium 12v prices anywhere close to Lead acid. Please post your source/business you are using for parts. I am very interested.

Also, I know you won't need as many amp hours with lithium compared to lead acid.... Are those 12v /50amp hour lithiums?
I wasn't replacing 12v batts. We had 24 2v deep-discharge batts. The 2v batts were Rolls Surrette 1300+ Ah and each was roughly $400 and 130#.

And, since we put in 4 new Simpliphi batteries I figured that they were 12v but they are each 48v. (My solar guy rattles off numbers like I actually speak his language.) Each is 75 Ah for a total of 300 Ah. They each weigh about 78 pounds. They cost about $2500 each. (The total replacement price doesn't look the same at first, but the labor to install 24 batts is a lot more than to install 4. )

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:58   #872
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

24 lead acid batteries is a metric buttload of maintenance.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:06   #873
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
24 lead acid batteries is a metric buttload of maintenance.

TR
That's why I replaced them early. In the summer I had to add water every week. And, because they were so tall, I had to wear a headlamp and use a turkey baster and mirror so I didn't under or over fill them. In the winter I only had to do that once a month. Four times a year I had to equalize them and that was dependent on the cloud coverage. And twice a year we'd have to go to the backup gennie so we could clean the terminals. All-in-all, it wasn't too bad but now I don't have to do any of that.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
Old 11-09-2020, 00:38   #874
G2squared
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacamuelas View Post
I haven't found Lithium 12v prices anywhere close to Lead acid. Please post your source/business you are using for parts. I am very interested.

Also, I know you won't need as many amp hours with lithium compared to lead acid.... Are those 12v /50amp hour lithiums?
FWIW,
Lithium batteries will be more expensive, but it’s the trade off in maintenance and power cycles ( typically rated over 2000 full discharges, you kill lead acid batteries very quickly doing that) and draw capabilities that you’re paying for. I bought a few 108Ah batteries for replacing failed 6V 70Ah deep cycle batteries in my travel trailer. They were from Costco and cost about $700 each. They only weigh 28lbs so are easily removed for theft prevention. Also found a few smaller 20Ah units for running radios and the grill when outside away from an outlet so I don’t have to run a generator. The smaller ones can be found with little searching.

Solar is great but expensive initially. BEWARE (for those who don’t know) if going with the sales pitch from your local HD, many systems are being sold with no capability to generate power unless there is power on your incoming lines already. So if the power goes out, they are worthless as backup. The issue is around meeting code and protecting linemen doing repairs. Then installing the right power inverter that those companies don’t sell. It’s just stupid. But there’s a bunch of wall flowers out there feeling good about themselves for doing this type of install.
If you’ve got running water near by, then it’s the Gold Standard for self sufficient
power. Battery bank is still typically needed for surge loads, but a water wheel running continuously, even a small one, will make a lot of power over time.
G2
G2squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 15:15   #875
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2squared View Post
...power cycles ( typically rated over 2000 full discharges, you kill lead acid batteries very quickly doing that) and draw capabilities that you’re paying for.
G2
The SimpliPhi warranty is 10 years and 10,000 cycles if the Depth of Discharge (DoD) is limited to 80%. Five thousand cycles if the DoD is limited to 90% and 3500 cycles to 100%. So far, in the 3 weeks that we've been using them, we haven't gone below 95%.

Old 01-19-2021, 12:56   #876
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Just rummaging around the garage today...

The “instructions” paper came out of that brand new butt pack which is probably from the ‘70s or ‘80s...

And a few books and new knife still in package from the wayback machine.

ETA: Man, this day just keeps getting better and better - last picture!

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)

Last edited by Old Dog New Trick; 01-19-2021 at 13:07.
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 16:49   #877
Badger52
Area Commander

Thumbs up Christmas in January

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog New Trick View Post
ETA: Man, this day just keeps getting better and better - last picture!
Money shot.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 01:16   #878
Meryup
Asset

Smile

I took great knowledge from here,
Thanks, everyone for sharing your best experiance
Meryup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 05:51   #879
5thgrp"C"
Quiet Professional

Can't find crap anymore

Can anyone help me find what I am looking for?

It's a photo/poster showing an insurgent fighter and talking about their training mindset, lack of shoes/boots, all the latest gear?

Thanks for the help
Old 10-03-2021, 06:46   #880
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgrp"C" View Post
Can anyone help me find what I am looking for?

It's a photo/poster showing an insurgent fighter and talking about their training mindset, lack of shoes/boots, all the latest gear?

Thanks for the help
I can't find a photo to go with it in my library, but you remind me of this posted previously hereabouts (by NousDefionsDoc I think):

Quote:
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?"

NousDefionsDoc
I could see that in a caption at the bottom of the appropriate photo; can't find the dang pic (I miss my mind). With the right photo that could easily be made into one.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Old 10-03-2021, 09:44   #881
5thgrp"C"
Quiet Professional

Yup that's the one I was thinking of. Always enjoyed that training ideology, seems befitting in this age of interconnectedness and technology.
Old 10-03-2021, 10:36   #882
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgrp"C" View Post
Yup that's the one I was thinking of. Always enjoyed that training ideology, seems befitting in this age of interconnectedness and technology.
There are several pix/posters online. Just search "Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you," then click on images. Few, if any, credit NDD.

Old 10-03-2021, 11:20   #883
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
There are several pix/posters online. Just search "Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you," then click on images. Few, if any, credit NDD.
Yep. Last one on this. The deep-dive is in the Mindset sub-forum & the relevant 7-page thread is here (including discussion of Copyright to this site).

Now back to old guy making downed limbs smaller.

Old 10-03-2021, 16:10   #884
7624U
Quiet Professional

That was so 2006.

Changed it for 2021

Somewhere a True Believer is tweeting about killing you. He is training with none GMO food and water, in air conditioning, Posting day and night. The only thing clean on him is his IP Address and he made his own web page. He doesn't worry about what workouts to do - he/her/them, weighs what they weigh, The run ends when the Police stop chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows how to GoFund me. He doesn't go home or to work at 17:00, he is at home.
He knows only The Cause.

"Me"
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 17:34   #885
PSM
Area Commander

Using the old adage "One is none, two is one," I added a manual pump to our water well:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Manual pump.jpg (127.2 KB, 31 views)