Old 08-03-2013, 08:39   #1
Bechorg
Quiet Professional

Workout regimen suggestion

Here is some stuff I put together for my mentorees. I personally do the workout regimen and have a 360 pt score, 1300+ UBRR, and meet all of the suggested goals. It has worked well to keep me strong and injury free. It works for me, and it isn't perfect. It's not for beginners or low performers. I believe if you meet this standard, there is no possible way you will not get selected due to fitness.

 Establish your physical GOALS, here are some examples of what I would expect a selection candidate to have prior to selection:

PT Test: 290+ (Candidates with 290+ have an incredibly higher chance at getting selected)
2 mile run: 13:00
4 mile run: 30:00
5 mile run: 37:00
6 mile ruck: <1:18
12 mile ruck: 2:30
Pushups 2min :85
Situps max: 80
Pullups max:15-20
Deadlift 5rep:275
Squat 5rep max:225
Bench: bodyweight x 5

The first step is establishing a baseline for all those events, and know that when you target certain exercises like squat that your ruck times will get better, so don’t worry about constantly testing yourself. The goal is to get to a point where you know that you will have no problem meeting a standard. 5 mile run? No problem, I know my pace and how to hold it. Knowing a 8 min, 7 min, 6 min paces is essential for running, and a 15, 14, and 13 min pace for rucking. It is really important. Work all the exercises above into your workout regimen.

 Develop your own workout plan with crossfit, SOFWODS, and make sure to focus mostly on running, rucking, and bodyweight exercises. Do not ruck run until you have been rucking for 3-4 months. Ruck running should not be faster than a 10 minute mile. Do not increase your distances or speed on your runs more than 10% per week. Make a schedule for three months and stick to your goal paces.

Generally, your workout regimen should resemble the following:

LIFTING days are two a days and should be between 45 minutes and one hour for the lifting, and 30-45 minutes for the runs. Your lifting sessions should be based off of SOFWODS or crossfit and you need access to Olympic bumper weights because the core of your lifting is Olympic lifts and bodyweight exercise. Power endurance is the goal of these lifting sessions and lifting is secondary to rucking and running. All of your sets should be around 3-5 and your repetitions per set should be 10-15. It is good to gear the workouts towards body parts (upper or lower body, back, chest, arms, shoulders). I generally do Mondays and Fridays chest and Wednesdays back and shoulders. All lifting days should include pushups, dips, and pull-ups with a premium placed on high sets with high repetitions. That is the best way to get better at pushups, situps, pullups, and dips. For instance, on a Monday lifting day I will do 30 pushups every hour for 6-7 hours. Or after the lift session I will do 10 sets of 15 pushups, or 5 sets of 15 pushups, 10 pullups, and 10 dips. Scale the number of repetitions but keep the sets near the same. Also throw in core exercises like planking, bridges, and other ab exercises.

RUCKING is the single most important part of your success. You must be able to ruck with 65 pounds quickly for around 200 miles in selection. The trek at the end is around 30-40 miles and you need to be in the front. If you have not started rucking get on it! Start with a 2 mile ruck, 4 mile ruck, and 6 mile ruck per week. Keep doing that until you can maintain a sub 15 minute pace. I would not increase distance too much, only the pace. Try to get near a 13:30 pace.

RUNNING should be progressive in nature. Do not increase more than 10% per week in distance or pace. I generally do not run more than 35 miles per week. Running gets you hurt over time and pay attention to your shins, knees, and ankles especially. When in doubt REST!

INTERVALS are the best way to lower a two mile and five mile time. I do around two miles total intervals breaking it down to 2x800M, 4x400m and 4x200m. Establish a goal two mile pace and make sure that you meet that pace every single 400m. It will train you to keep a pace for an entire race and ensure you get a consistent time. This is the best way to be faster as well.8-10 iterations of 30 second sprinting 60 second resting can also be used, as well as 30 minutes of stair work.

Monday: LIFT (INCLUDE SQUAT, BENCH) INTERVALS

Tuesday: SHORT RUCK( 2 MILES AT 14:00 PACE)

Wednesday: LIFT( INCLUDE SQUAT, DEADLIFT, PUSH PRESS) INTERVALS

Thursday: MEDIUM RUCK (4 MILES AT 15:00 PACE)

Friday: LIFT (INCLUDE SQUAT, POWER CLEAN )

Saturday: LONG RUN (6-8 MILES AT 8:00 PACE) OR LONG RUCK (6-10 MILES AT 15MIN PACE)

Sunday- Rest

 If you can invest in some gear, do so. I would look at a GPS watch to measure pace and distance. You won’t be able to have this at selection but it will help you in knowing your pace and distance. Look at some good running shoes that have support like Asics GT 1000, as well as a lighter 6oz pair for PT tests. Nike SFB boots are the best boots to ruck in.

Last edited by Bechorg; 08-03-2013 at 08:42.
Bechorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:26   #2
craigepo
Quiet Professional

That looks like a great workout plan. I have a couple of questions:

1) Do you have any sort of special stretching workout, or do you just stretch after each workout?

2) Do you work any swims in?

3) Do you use a heartrate monitor, and if so, how?

Again, sounds like a heck of a workout regimen.

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:59   #3
Quaker
Asset

I'm going to use this once I get back to the states. Will be interested to hear the answer to the above questions. Thanks for posting; I have been searching for a good workout plan.
Quaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:20   #4
Bechorg
Quiet Professional

1) Do you have any sort of special stretching workout, or do you just stretch after each workout?

I am all bout lower body flexibility, so I do alot of leg swings and lunges to warm up. This will help in your stride with running and rucking. I would do 2 sets of lunges and squats before stepping off with a ruck.

For any lifting or cardio a dynamic warmup is essential, not a static stretching routine. That is for after workouts. Dynamic warmup is anything that gets your whole body warmed up, it can be anything really.Personally before every lifting session I do 4-8 minutes of machine rowing for a dynamic warmup. Also using a foam roller to work the lactic acid is really important if you are doing alot of legs.

For events like a two mile run I would do one lap of warmup, with 3 or 4x100m warmups at a good speed. The problem with most people's two milers is they start WAY too fast (for example they go 1:20 for the first 400m when their target goal is 1:30 per lap) so it is ESSENTIAL to understand what a 1:30 lap feels like. You get that by repeating over and over.

2.) Do you do any swimming?
I do swimming as sort of a cardio exercise twice a week. I think the low impact and core building qualities of it is a really good thing to have. I usually do 500m and 100mx3. Nothing serious, but that is just my personal preference. If you aspire to be on a scuba team then do more because it also helps with rucking and running.

3) Do you use a heartrate monitor, and if so, how?
I have never had experience with it because I believe that if you work hard you don't need it. Push yourself to your limits and beyond, what does it really matter? As long as you get to the level you need to be and know how to maintain it, I don't see a need.

Last edited by Bechorg; 08-03-2013 at 11:22.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:24   #5
Bechorg
Quiet Professional

Just make sure if you are doing what I am doing you have REALISTIC, PROGRESSIVE goals. My regimen is all about mixing it up with the workouts and exercise, but still giving the same amount of effort in the areas that you need. You have to know your own body and know your weaknesses. I completely avoid abs and legs because I run so much and know my situp score is always 100+ su. Just get to know yourself and if you have any questions as to what a decent lifting day looks like let me know.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:31   #6
MR2
Quiet Professional

I give this Thread 5 Advils!

Edit: 2,000th post!

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil

Last edited by MR2; 08-03-2013 at 12:09.
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:43   #7
Quaker
Asset

Sadly, I have problems in the upper body department. I'm Just over 6' 155lb and never benched or lifted weights (regularly) in my life. That's where I really need to focus.
Quaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 13:51   #8
Bechorg
Quiet Professional

It's only sad if you continue allowing it to be an excuse. Look at YouTube videos on form and hit the gym. Make a calorie goal, a protein and carb grams goal per day and meet it until you bulk up to 190. Lift your butt off and eat like a spartan.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:15   #9
Apple Jacks
Asset

Great post, much appreciated!
Apple Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 17:09   #10
adal
Quiet Professional

Started it. Thanks for the post. I can update if you like, but I'm just driving on.
Old 12-06-2013, 23:04   #11
JWil
Asset

Ruck Up

Awesome post, I'm looking forward to selection in the next few months. Investing in a Garmin or some sort of device to figure out my true pace is essential, funny how it was brought up in this thread. Instead of spending over $100 for a GPS watch I am using an app a friend told me about, it can be downloaded on your phone. It's called Charity Miles. Every mile walked, ran, or biked is a donation to a organization of your choice. I chose wounded warriors to donate to. Just food for thought. I was wondering in all honestly, the best boot for rucking????? I know you have suggested the "Nike SFB" however just by looking at them they seem to not have to much ankle support. I have some buddies who have had good/bad to say about nike boots. I currently have some broken in Rockies that have 2/3 life in them. I like the way they support my feet during long rucks. However I am considering investing in some new boots to break into, best for rucking, pre sfas. Any other boot suggestions?

PS.. I am tracking this thread was focused on giving advice on workouts pre sfas. Sorry if I have got off topic, however you seemed knowledgable being so confident with nike boots being best for rucking. Looking forward to some guidance from the best QP's. -James
JWil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 23:43   #12
Jersey Dirtbag
SF Candidate

Location: Spring Lake, NC. Returning to the NYC area after this odyssey.
Boots...

I wouldn't sweat the boot issue so much. Just get a set that you find comfortable and go with it. I assure you, any reasonably healthy adult male can meet the standards at SFAS with sufficient training, regardless of equipment.

For example, despite many people swearing by the Nikes, I personally cannot stand them. I own one pair and began training with them prior to selection but I quickly tired of them. I took three pairs of Oakleys to SFAS and never got a single blister. That has a lot more to do with the amount/type of training I did prior to the course than the boots I chose.
Jersey Dirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 00:16   #13
JWil
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Dirtbag View Post
I wouldn't sweat the boot issue so much. Just get a set that you find comfortable and go with it. I assure you, any reasonably healthy adult male can meet the standards at SFAS with sufficient training, regardless of equipment.

For example, despite many people swearing by the Nikes, I personally cannot stand them. I own one pair and began training with them prior to selection but I quickly tired of them. I took three pairs of Oakleys to SFAS and never got a single blister. That has a lot more to do with the amount/type of training I did prior to the course than the boots I chose.
Ok, sounds good. What type of distances were you doing for rucks prior sfas?
JWil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:12   #14
Jersey Dirtbag
SF Candidate

Location: Spring Lake, NC. Returning to the NYC area after this odyssey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWil View Post
Ok, sounds good. What type of distances were you doing for rucks prior sfas?
Usually 4-8 miles. During the week, I'd do one ruck in the city where I was living (much to the perplexity of my fellow city-dwellers, who are not used to seeing someone walking/running with a heavy pack) for time with a 13-14 min/mile target. On weekends, I would drive up to the mountains northwest of NYC and go for a 6-12 mile hike with no speed target at all. However, with the huge elevation changes (an 8 mile hike would typically include a couple thousand feet up/down total) and rugged trails, this is still an excellent way to burn calories (I'm a fat kid by nature), toughen feet, and strengthen those muscles which don't get much work on a flat, paved surface. It's also a good way to get some land navigation training on your own (and it's actually enjoyable, as opposed to the misery of a timed ruck march, at least in my opinion).

It might not be a bad idea to do at least one "full dress rehearsal" 12-mile timed ruck just so that the first time you do it won't be the time when it counts. Also, take a look at the topography in the Fort Bragg area so you'll have an idea of how hilly the routes can be (the hills aren't crazy, but they're significant). That can help you adjust your time standard depending on the topography in your area.
Jersey Dirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 17:11   #15
greyshade
Quiet Professional

Bechorg that's some good advice, those are good numbers to be able to achieve.

Just to caveat from my experience.

Recovery/flexibility
Foam rolling has really helped me recover faster and improve my flexibility. Before any workout, ruck, run, I'll always make 10min to roll out and do a quick dynamic warm-up. Really has helped me out. I used to see guys using the roller in the course after rucks or before and I thought it was some sort of snake oil. Looking back I think I could have avoided a lot of pain and recovered faster if I had follow suit.

Like Bechorg also said, dynamic warm-ups are the way to go. I never go into a workout cold.