Old 03-21-2018, 07:31   #1
TheBeatenPath
Asset

PDSS

First off, thank you for taking the time to read through this:

I'm a new 18C in 3rd with no prior experience, we're deploying to Africa this year, and I don't have a senior to guide me through things, i'm going through all the channels and resources I can. Our team is sending 2 guys on the PDSS, and i'm trying to figure out what I will need to know.

Obviously they'll be mission specific, but i'm hoping someone could at least point me in the right direction so i'll know what to think about. i.e. what is the latrine situation like. Road systems in AO, conditions, what to expect in the rainy season, Types of vehicles to avoid etc. Is there storage room for equipment? electricity available.

Generalized questions that can steer me.

Thank you all,
TBP
TheBeatenPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:56   #2
Box
Quiet Professional

Where are you in 3rd Group? If you are in the correct battalion, I'll be glad to help you out.
If you are from one of those "other" battalions, I'll still help you out, I'll just feel sad for you for being assigned to a lesser battalion.....
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:02   #3
UWOA (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Location: You can't get here from there; you have to go someplace else first.
Country study

Been out of the business for quite awhile, but based on the info you put out there ... I would first of all examine the latest country study which is published and updated on a regular basis. It will give you the background you seem to be asking for. After that you can run more specific questions up the chain to the S-2.

Don't know where I'm goin', but there's no use in bein' late.
I've never been lost. I've been a mite confused at times, but never lost.
I'm not lost! I know where I am; I just don't know where everybody else is.
UWOA (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:15   #4
cat in the hat
Quiet Professional

You do realize that there is a man on your team who has all of those answers or knows where to get them.
he is the one in charge and has the most stripes.

American on the inside, useful on the outside
cat in the hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:36   #5
SouthernDZ
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat in the hat View Post
You do realize that there is a man on your team who has all of those answers or knows where to get them.
he is the one in charge and has the most stripes.
Hooah.
SouthernDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:50   #6
7624U
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeatenPath View Post
First off, thank you for taking the time to read through this:

I'm a new 18C in 3rd with no prior experience, we're deploying to Africa this year, and I don't have a senior to guide me through things, i'm going through all the channels and resources I can. Our team is sending 2 guys on the PDSS, and i'm trying to figure out what I will need to know.

Obviously they'll be mission specific, but i'm hoping someone could at least point me in the right direction so i'll know what to think about. i.e. what is the latrine situation like. Road systems in AO, conditions, what to expect in the rainy season, Types of vehicles to avoid etc. Is there storage room for equipment? electricity available.

Generalized questions that can steer me.

Thank you all,
TBP
Not only your TM SGT knows and has been on a PDSS before. I 100% know your Officers have the PDSS check list because I give them the new one each class and we teach it here in the Q-Course. PM inbound don't say anymore on here I know what BN you are in.

"Me"
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 20:45   #7
exsquid
Quiet Professional

Why oh why did you not hunt down this information in person instead of looking for it online? All Groups are stuffed full of senior guys who usually love to talk about the stuff they know. If you don't have a senior, you knock on the Team Rm door next to yours and ask their 18C, then you walk up and down the hall to every other Tm Rm and the B Tm and ask those 18Cs. Still cannot find an answer, walk over to HSC or the Bn S3 shop and see if there is an 18C there to talk to. My friend, SF is about relationships, you need to be the social butterfly out there cultivating them in person! If you still are stumped, PM me and I will send you all the stuff I have.

x/S
Old 04-09-2018, 07:07   #8
WoodMoose
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by exsquid View Post
,,All Groups are stuffed full of senior guys who usually love to talk about the stuff they know.

nailed it,,,,and made me laugh thinking about that,,,it's so very try, especially over a cup of coffee
WoodMoose is offline   Reply With Quote