Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > UWOA > Terrorism

Old 02-08-2004, 18:22   #16
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Seems to me (without thinking about it for very long -- take this all with a rock of salt) that your guy is looking for you to discuss the supposed hopelessness and despair of the oppressed muslim world. He wants you to buy in to what he says in his article -- that we shouldn't just kill all the terrorists, we should understand them, love them and stop doing the things that made them angry with us. That's why you look for "root causes" -- to treat the disease rather than the symptoms. So we stop oppressing these poor people and let them be. Ask questions about whether it is right for us to support Israel given its oppression of Palestinians. Ask about whether access to oil justifies our presence in the Middle East.

I would read his articles. Notice how he doesn't take firm positions on anything -- he has views, but he expresses them in a very wishy-washy, feminine way. Everything is in "how should we feel about this" format -- I'd try to mimic that a bit.

Oh, if it isn't already obvious, I'm just trying to help you get a good grade. I think all of the above is a load of &^$#.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 18:48   #17
Airbornelawyer

RL's last post gets to the point of something that is important. The "root cause fallacy" which many copnservatives and others speak of is not that there are no root causes, but that the root causes do not absolve one of responsibility for one's own actions.

The root cause fallacy manifests itself when one looks at a criminal and bemoans that he or she is a victim of his or her circumstances. Just today I was watching Ebert and whoever the otehr guy is, and Ebert started making excuses for this serial killer about whom a documentary had been made - about how abused she was as a child, how she was homeless and lived in the woods, etc. - which to him made executing her a travesty.

Those who don't understand this meaning of the root cause fallacy called the Bush Admistration hypocritical when it began talking about the importance of democracy and human rights in the Middle East. The critics said "see, here they are talking about addressing root causes!"

To get onto a soap box, this is about a larger issue, which is what the gift of reason means to human beings. We are products of our circumstances; we are not captives to them.
Airbornelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 18:54   #18
Jimbo
Guerrilla

Late to the party

Let me preface this by saying that this may be one of the worst assignments ever given out.

Quote:
Select two possible "root causes" of the terrorist attacks of 9-11. ... How do these "toot causes" influence what ought to be the response to terrorism? How plausible do you think these factors are as "root causes"? Why do you think we seek "root causes" of terrorism?
Here's a hint, if you can't write a question without relying on paranthetical phrases you need to find another line of work.

OK- with that out of the way: One cause of the attacks is that it was viewed by the terrorists as a military action in their declared war against the US

Click here if this is news to you

Another cause is, well...since we wrapped up what the real cause was with the first response, I choose to use the rest of the 5 pages of the paper to make a profound statement: Screw Flanders, Screw Flanders,Screw Flanders,Screw Flanders,Screw Flanders,Screw Flanders,Screw Flanders,Screw Flanders,Screw Flanders,Screw Flanders,Screw Flanders,Screw Flanders...
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 18:58   #19
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

What's the root cause of the declaration of war?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 19:13   #20
Jimbo
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
Was that the question? No. That is why it was a crappy question. I imagined Lawyer-boy would have done better with it.
Old 02-08-2004, 19:21   #21
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

So as Frog says, "We're going to pull the wings and legs off the fly one at a time."

Are you going to answer or just pick fights?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 02-08-2004, 19:31   #22
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Are you going to answer or just pick fights?
I took it as a compliment. I'm going to buy Jimbo a bunch of drinks one day and it will be all good.
Old 02-08-2004, 19:36   #23
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
I took it as a compliment. I'm going to buy Jimbo a bunch of drinks one day and it will be all good.
he probably intended it that way. But he didn't answer the question - maybe he doesn't know the answer?
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 02-08-2004, 19:50   #24
Jimbo
Guerrilla

Quote:
Depends on what theory you buy into:
1) Arab humiliation
2) A kind of Islamic Manifest Destiny
3) One man's desire to become the next caliph
4) A leader motivated by power needs to perpetuate his cult of personality
5) Bad men do bad things
6) Prior to having nuclear weapons, Iran needed a way to asymmetically counter American power.
7) They actually think that is the right thing to do.
8) The supreme being is actually on their side
9) Bush senior created thsi situation so that his son would get re-elected.

There's all kinds of theories out there. Without knowing the answer, it is mere mental masturbation to come up with some way to address the 'root cause'. So...
Old 02-08-2004, 19:53   #25
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Now we're getting somewhere. Did you list them in order of your preference?
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 02-08-2004, 20:05   #26
Jimbo
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
I'm going to buy Jimbo a bunch of drinks one day and it will be all good.
Rum and cokes.
Old 02-10-2004, 19:32   #27
berdan
Asset

The Empire

Would terrorists viewing the United States as an Emperial power be a logical reason for thier declaration of war? Looking at the United States in this viewpoint, could this explain the animosity and hate towards America?
berdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 19:41   #28
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Re: The Empire

Quote:
Originally posted by berdan
Would terrorists viewing the United States as an Emperial power be a logical reason for thier declaration of war? Looking at the United States in this viewpoint, could this explain the animosity and hate towards America?
What do you think?
Old 02-10-2004, 19:59   #29
berdan
Asset

If they viewed the United States as an Emperial Power, they would truly believe thier way of life is threatened. If they believe they don't need western influence to live, they would view anything western as a threat. If thier way of thinking is "the United States Empire, you will be assimilated" they would truly believe thier culture's existance at risk. To ensure the continual pure existance of thier culture they would force anything western out of the area and look on any western thoughts, ideas, products, and especially occupation as the oncoming doom to thier way of life.

Most Americans do not think of the U.S. as an Empire and truly believe that everyone is happy to get american stuff and american ideas, or to have the american dream. Western Ideas are being force fed to cultures that have thousands of years without new or revolutionary ways of thinking.

Maybe the terrorist actors truly believe they will be conquered one day and thier way of life is at risk.

Just my uneducated thoughts. I am truly interested in what all of you have to say.

Flame Away
berdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 01:54   #30
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

NDD:

Berdan would like someone to proceed. I have teed this up for you. Over.