Old 07-29-2005, 07:54   #1
tsweeney
Asset

Project Sigma

My father was SGT Russell W. Sweeney, B-56, 66'-68.

I was wondering if anyone knew him and if so, please contact me. I am GREATLY interested in knowing about his experiences in Vietnam. Was he part of the Phoenix Program?

He passed away a few years ago before I had a chance to talk to him about this...now I would like to know.

Thank you.

Tim Sweeney
flexonline@hotmail.com
tsweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 07:57   #2
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsweeney

I was wondering if anyone knew him and if so, please contact me. I am GREATLY interested in knowing about his experiences in Vietnam. Was he part of the Phoenix Program?

He passed away a few years ago before I had a chance to talk to him about this...now I would like to know.

Thank you.

Tim Sweeney
flexonline@hotmail.com
Tim go here and ask. We do not have access to any data bases.

www.SFAHQ.org

Team Sergeant
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 08:13   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

You might also read the stickies, fill out your profile, and introduce yourself before barging in asking questions.

Good luck.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 06:54   #4
tsweeney
Asset

Thank you, guys. I appreciate your help.

Since posting, I have received a great deal of info on project sigma.

I found out that my father was an "RTT Operator." Can someone clarify this? Exactly what did an RTT Operator do? I believe he was a commo sgt. Is this right?

Again, very appreciated.

Tim Sweeney
Old 08-04-2005, 08:03   #5
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
You might also read the stickies, fill out your profile, and introduce yourself before barging in asking questions.

Good luck.

TR
tsweeney:

You were asked nicely to comply with our rules.

Terry
Old 08-04-2005, 11:56   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Thank you, guys. I appreciate your help.

Since posting, I have received a great deal of info on project sigma.

I found out that my father was an "RTT Operator." Can someone clarify this? Exactly what did an RTT Operator do? I believe he was a commo sgt. Is this right?

Again, very appreciated.

Tim Sweeney
Tim:

Did you understand my instructions?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 08-05-2005, 06:21   #7
tsweeney
Asset

TR,

I'm sorry...I don't understand. What stickies are you referring to. I certainly don't want to cause any trouble as I have the utmost respect for the people on this site. I would like to comply in any way. Thank you for understanding.

--tim
Old 08-05-2005, 06:29   #8
Kyobanim

Tim,

Go to the first topic in every category and you will find required reading for all who visit this board.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 07:21   #9
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
TR,

I'm sorry...I don't understand. What stickies are you referring to. I certainly don't want to cause any trouble as I have the utmost respect for the people on this site. I would like to comply in any way. Thank you for understanding.

--tim
The notes stuck at the top of the forums with the thumbtack icons and the clever names such as "Please Read", "Welcome to Professional Soldiers!", "Professional Soldiers Bulletin Board Rules", "Read And Heed!!", "Welcome! Please Read", "The SFQC Bulletin Board - Please Read".

TR

Old 11-25-2007, 15:17   #10
Ranger50
Quiet Professional

Sigma

Tim,
COL Dick Carvell was the XO of B-56 when your father was a member. He might be able to help you with some information. His e-mail is RFCarvell@aol.com. Good Luck
Al Buckelew
Ranger50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 15:51   #11
LongWire
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger50 View Post
Tim,
COL Dick Carvell was the XO of B-56 when your father was a member. He might be able to help you with some information. His e-mail is RFCarvell@aol.com. Good Luck
Al Buckelew

Hey Brother......not sure that Tim's still around, this thread is over 2 years old!!!!!!!!

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"A Government that is losing to an insurgency is not being outfought, it is being out governed." Bernard B. Fall
LongWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 17:30   #12
miller0331
Asset

Sigma

You're right, this thread is a little old. Anyway, my dad, Walter Miller, was radio operator and team leader with Sigma when it first became operational in 1966. They operated out of a camp they built, Ho Ngoc Tau.

Just had a throw a little piece in there. I usually just lurk around and read other's post and spot names and places to pass on to the old man.

- If you cheat, may you cheat death
- If you steal, may you steal a woman's heart
- If you fight, may you fight for a brother
- And if you drink, may you drink with me!"
miller0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:01   #13
RT AXE 10
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsweeney View Post

Thank you.

Tim Sweeney
flexonline@hotmail.com

Hello Tim, (Salute)

I served in 5th SFG,B-56, SIGMA from 66-68 and remember Sgt Sweeney well. He worked in the commo bunker at Camp Ho Ngoc Tau... We were the younger guys back then and a group of us kinda hung out during stand down times.
Your dad was an excellent soldier and a great communicator. He did volunteer more then a few times to accompany the commando companies on combat missions and even flew covey for the recon teams when there was trouble.
I was assigned to the Recon section and depended on the commo guys constantly for the best radios and commo stuff.

My condolences on your dads passing and my Salute to him.

Warmest Regards,
Axe
RT AXE 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:51   #14
glebo
Quiet Professional

Anyone now a James Farley?? He talks about Carvell quite a bit. If I'm not mistaken, Carvell was around fayetteville for awhile, if not still.

I'll ask Farley if he remembers Sweeny also to let him know.