Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Library

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 19:39   #31
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
"Intermediate Financial Management", by Eugene Brigham & Philip Daves.
Is that with or without aspirin?
Old 09-21-2008, 19:41   #32
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Moroney View Post
Is that with or without aspirin?
D'oh! I was thinking Preparation-H.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
Old 09-21-2008, 20:18   #33
2 Block Secured
Quiet Professional

Books or Video games

I was always impressed that younger soldiers were actually reading, not what they were reading. Books are to the mind what weights are to the muscles.

TR has a point. I waited 21 years before I broadened my horizon to the classics and other material that had nothing to do with the military/politics.

Currently: Constitutional Law and the Criminal Justice System (text book)

Just finished: Scandalmongers by William Safire (you think MSM is bad now, they were brutal back in the Jefferson, Hamilton, Burr days)

On the lighter side, remember when a reading list was an appendix in the ODA SOP? It was about the same time when reading the newspaper in the team room was considered f---ing off. (you can read that current events stuff on your off time)
Old 09-21-2008, 20:34   #34
dinatius

The Warrior Elite: The Forging of SEAL Class 228
-Dick Couch

Old 09-21-2008, 21:51   #35
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Pissing contests here are normally short.

TR
TR, that wasn't a pissing contest. Think of it as my way of making sure my name is pronounced correctly . . . I've reviewed your many, many posts --nothing seems to get by you -- Vigilance. I am delighted to be in the home of one of the brotherhood who makes this forum possible.

Final bona fide . . . that "girl" having the snit with the Library of Congress He was my B Det CO at the same time the former LTG was my Bn CO. I am staggered by both! Now will someone change that "asset" to QP?!!!

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 09-22-2008 at 08:33. Reason: fixed quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:03   #36
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Finished "The Pentagon" by Steve Vogel - the story of the building of the Pentagon and its history since.

Working my way through David Halberstam's "The Coldest Winter" - about the Korean War - excellent so far.

Both were birthday gifts from my daughter.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:46   #37
Pete S
Guerrilla

We Were One: Shoulder to Shoulder with the Marines Who Took Fallujah by Patrick O'Donnel.
Just started reading it last night.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:19   #38
Sweetbriar
Guerrilla

News from Tartary by Peter Fleming, a travel classic from 1935. I'm four chapters in and, oh my golly, what an adventure this will be! Amazon has the first chapter on "look inside". That little amuse bouche should rouse your appetite and I really think many here would enjoy a trip thru that part of the world. Even in that era it has much to say about things today.

Also reading Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh. I remember the beauty and depth of the 80's series well, and thought I should at least read the book once in my life before I go to the upcoming movie version. Like any truly great novel, I'm identifying with more than I anticipated, so I have to read a chapter, then meditate for awhile. I've also got A Tale of Two Cities running in the same manner. I never could go this slow in my youth, but now that I have no goal whatsoever other than my own pleasure the rewards seem to be even greater.

I've got For Whom the Bell Tolls up next in honor of John McCain, and Love in the Time of Cholera just for the discipline of raking my soul over the coals - I fear my heart has grown cold.

Last edited by Sweetbriar; 09-22-2008 at 08:22.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:57   #39
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
TR, that wasn't a pissing contest. Think of it as my way of making sure my name is pronounced correctly . . .
Wasn't directed at you, it was underneath the quote by Black Dragon and was for him.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
Old 09-22-2008, 11:00   #40
msgec
Asset

Last edited by msgec; 02-13-2009 at 23:08.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:28   #41
-=Reign=-
Asset

For leisure:
Watchmen, and Generation Kill.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:54   #42
Go Devil
Guerrilla Chief

Alas Babylon, and Captured by the Indians/15 first hand accounts, 1750-1870.
Old 09-22-2008, 17:03   #43
Sigaba
Area Commander

James Holloway III, Aircraft Carriers at War: A Personal Retrospective of Korea, Vietnam, and the Soviet Confrontation

F. J. (Bing) West and Ray Smith, The March Up: Taking Baghdad with the United States Marines

John D. Sherwood, Black Sailor, White Navy: Racial Unrest in the Fleet during the Vietnam War Era

James Stavridis, Destroyer Captain: Lessons of a First Command
Old 09-22-2008, 18:57   #44
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Now that I am finished with the ENTIRE Harry Potter series, which my kids MADE me read, I can get back to serious stuff. LOL
Old 09-22-2008, 20:50   #45
Richard
Quiet Professional

"Easy Company Soldier" SGT Don Malarkey
"A Tale of Two Subs" Jonathan McCullough
"Stupid History" Leland Gregory
"How To Win A Fight With A Liberal" Daniel Kurtzman My SUV Can Beat Up Your Prius!

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Closed Thread