Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 01-09-2023, 10:27   #1
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Smart Watches,,

Smart Watches,, for Geriatrics?

SO, In ten days, I will mark my 75th successful circumnavigational trip around the Sun.

Being a tad OCD,, I have thought I should look at a device that can warn me of impending medical emergencies that can potentially be terminal and a collection point for medical info. eg: heart rate, sleeping cycles, O2 levels, and heart irregularities (ECG/EKG).

Most of the current "Smart Watches" are geared toward fitness. For this reason, I have discounted the "FitBit" style. In my perception, I see them as collectors of athletic-type info and not medical warning devices.

Currently, I am focused on the Apple Series 8 and Ultra, although I have read a bit about the Garmin Epix 2 & Feniz 7X

My Notes:
1)Apple 8 and Ultra are feature equals
2)The Ultra is larger, heavier, and has twice the battery time,, also twice the price.

I am currently leaning toward the Apple 8 41mm.

Please opine.. g

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"

Last edited by JJ_BPK; 01-09-2023 at 11:48.
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 12:22   #2
sg1987
Guerrilla Chief

I have a Garmin Tactix Delta. The app provides loads of information. O2 saturation rates, respiration rates, etc..

And congratulations and happy birthday, sir!
Old 01-09-2023, 16:48   #3
Paslode
Area Commander

Several years ago I was having Afib and bouts of Atrial Tachycardia so I purchased an Apple Watch. With the Apple Watch I could get HR, EKG and send it to my doc, plus I could track the duration of the episodes and start/stop times. That DATA was recorded in my iPhone Health App.

I always knew when I was having an episode, but the data the Apple Watch provided help in finding triggers and that my episodes generally began around 6pm and averaged 12 hours in duration. Anything with caffeine in it was a trigger, as was heat and humidity.

If you're a hypochondriac, a smart watch might not be a good idea
Old 01-10-2023, 06:27   #4
milkman
Auxiliary

I have Apple special edition.

Lots of fitness tracking.

Also calls 911 if I don't respond to a fall.

Also constant tracking my BP with alarms if BP gets high or low

Also alarms if sounds are to high

Also answers my iPhone when there is a scam and i can talk on my watch to someone, that's good while driving or exercising.

Must be dozens of watch faces to satisfy your interes

more features that i haven't used
milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 09:25   #5
pyreaux
Guerrilla

My wife uses oura ring, seems less obtrusive and I think also longer battery life than Apple watches at least. Maybe dependant on your personal style. The ring if I recall correctly tracks pulse, sleep, and body temp, to the point of sending her a notification that she may be ill, it has correctly predicted the onset of a round of covid and another virus or two for her. Might be worth checking to see if it has all the capabilities you're looking for.
pyreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 20:08   #6
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
SO, In ten days, I will mark my 75th successful circumnavigational trip around the Sun.
OUT-standing! I'm sure it's coincidence that's the day I'm supposed to go pickup some gear from the clinic to take home & do some overnight Pulse/Oximetry collection. Harrumph! I'll bet it weighs more than whatever you buy. Birthday threads are better. Screw this poking & prodding stuff.

Good luck with the search. Tagged.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 07:31   #7
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paslode View Post
Several years ago I was having Afib and bouts of Atrial Tachycardia so I purchased an Apple Watch. With the Apple Watch I could get HR, EKG and send it to my doc, plus I could track the duration of the episodes and start/stop times. That DATA was recorded in my iPhone Health App.

I always knew when I was having an episode, but the data the Apple Watch provided help in finding triggers and that my episodes generally began around 6pm and averaged 12 hours in duration. Anything with caffeine in it was a trigger, as was heat and humidity.

If you're a hypochondriac, a smart watch might not be a good idea

I post a similar thread to FB, and one of the replies was from Marjorie M,, Marjie was my 1st crush in Kindergarten, she lived several houses up the street from me, and we walked to school daily, ANYWHO..

She purchased an Apple a couple of yrs ago, and shortly thereafter, the ECG/EKG "alarmed", she went to the ER, and it was verified she had an AFIB occurrence.

Now she's a believer, she doesn't Monkey around..

Others commented they also have one for AFIB.

Thanks for the comments

Old 01-12-2023, 20:03   #8
18e.wannabe
Asset

Samsung Watch 4 Classic

If you have a Samsung phone the Samsung Watch 4 has worked great for myself and offers allot of what you're looking for. Workouts, Steps, Heart Rate, Perceived Stress, O2, Snoring, Sleep quality, ECG/EKG, and even body composition for BMI (although it doesn't appear to be very consistent for BMI measuring).

It isn't an extremely rugged smartwatch like a Garmin but it is more economical as you can get them for around 300 USD.
Old 01-12-2023, 22:26   #9
Paslode
Area Commander

I should add that a major influence for getting the watch was that one of my customers had Afib but did not get diagnosed until after they had 2 strokes and lost much of the movement of their right side.

I had an ablation and haven't had any issues since, even on hot and humid days.

Another feature of the Apple Watch that some find useful is the fall detection. You can set it up to call 911 and family members should watch detect a fall.
Old 01-13-2023, 10:03   #10
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paslode View Post

Another feature of the Apple Watch that some find useful is the fall detection. You can set it up to call 911 and family members should watch detect a fall.
Can it tell the difference between the type of falls?

Like you know,, down the stairs,, off the roof,, off a bar stool??
Inquiring minds want to know

Thank you all for the input.

I settled on the Series 8 and pulled the trigger last nite.

An Aside: I watched several YT vids on ECG/EKG and one that reviewed the Apple by a cardiologist. For those that are curious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HxOWCw4hEU

I lost the link, but I watched one vid that suggested that you can emulate I, II, II, aVF, aVL, and aVR by moving the watch to different areas of the body. I don't see that as very useful to a non-medical job description, but if you get lost in the jungle, it may be helpful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91PuQjKjIeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (130.3 KB, 9 views)

Old 01-13-2023, 10:09   #11
MR2
Quiet Professional

"but if you get lost in the jungle"

Supervisor: Are you sure it's him!

NSA Tech: Yep, I'd know that ventricular notch anywhere...

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 16:16   #12
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2 View Post
"but if you get lost in the jungle"

Supervisor: Are you sure it's him!

NSA Tech: Yep, I'd know that ventricular notch anywhere...

L M CW-speaking A O
dit dit

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Old 01-13-2023, 16:18   #13
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
So this thing can be had with a dial face? Or does it have multiple & you select?

Old 01-13-2023, 16:44   #14
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Ad infinitum...

Quote:
Apple claims there are "over two million ways to see time" on the Apple Watch.

There will be 11 digital faces to choose from at launch, and adding specialized functions to each face gives you a "virtually endless" number of choices to personalize your device.
Here is a 5-minute explanation of how to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQMfoKaAZMw

PS: Additionally, There are aftermarket "change clock face" apps

Old 01-13-2023, 17:38   #15
Paslode
Area Commander

Quote:
Can it tell the difference between the type of falls?

Like you know,, down the stairs,, off the roof,, off a bar stool??
Inquiring minds want to know

Thank you all for the input.

An Aside: I watched several YT vids on ECG/EKG and one that reviewed the Apple by a cardiologist. For those that are curious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HxOWCw4hEU

I lost the link, but I watched one vid that suggested that you can emulate I, II, II, aVF, aVL, and aVR by moving the watch to different areas of the body. I don't see that as very useful to a non-medical job description, but if you get lost in the jungle, it may be helpful.
I thought it might be handy if I fell off a ladder, fortunately I have never had the opportunity. But I have activated the fall alert when slapping my hands down on a surface and when trying to knock a piece of drywall loose with my hand, I guess you could those false positives.