Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18F

Old 12-31-2013, 18:49   #61
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
FLAGG,

I think many parts of the Tunisian, Egyptian and Syrian Revolutions/Movements could differently be labeled as "offensive" use of SM.

The biggest issue with it is "selling" it as a means of employment. I differently think you could be using it as a form of analyzing what is happen inside a country.

I have pick up the book, thanks for the review.
No worries!

And I agree(from my amateur perspective).

Along the lines of the potential offensive role of SM, I've been reading about SM communication/transmission options that SM depend on in order to work.

Here's an interesting development from the "internet in a suitcase" crowd:

https://commotionwireless.net/blog

Their mesh network wireless router Commotion V1.0 "grumpy Cat" was just released.

And the warning label:

https://commotionwireless.net/unders...-warning-label

So I'm guessing this or something like it might be a potential tool for offensive UW, due to lack of anonymity in this version sounds like it comes with some potentially significant risks. But if used in a future urban slum that is semi-to-non permissive for the regime itself, it could have its uses if conventional/sanctioned networks are shut or present too high a risk of social movement compromise.

But I think some of the greatest opportunities might be for humanitarian response.

What I'd be interested in learning is:

Do cellular/wireless networks(which the vast majority of the planet rely on for communication) maintain resilience in the aftermath of major natural disasters?

If an area is leveled by natural disaster(and having been personally involved with the Christchurch Earthquakes where commercial coms were impacted heavily in the short-term), first response is to conduct recce and establish communication networks as well as other concurrent activity.

Military and law enforcement run their own robust and encrypted communications networks. At FOBs, Retrans stations, patrol bases, vehicle patrols, and foot patrols.

While I'm certainly no 18E, I wonder how hard it would be to parallel a separate public use(but state managed) mesh network capability such as a cellular/wireless mesh router(the battery burn on foot patrols may not make any sense).

Again, I'm not an 18E, but I would think it would be within reason to use robust "off the shelf" systems(language localized) to allow quick and easy viral dissemination.

It could include tools to collect disaster recovery intelligence as well as push disaster response communication disseminated to all cellular/wireless devices with the mesh network.

And throw in some universal device chargers partnered with potable water stations as well maybe like what was seen ad-hoc in response to Hurricane Sandy.

So I wonder if the "role of social media" discussion encompasses the role/use/abuse of the underlying network?

Same? Different? Somewhere in between?
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 00:43   #62
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
So I wonder if the "role of social media" discussion encompasses the role/use/abuse of the underlying network?

Same? Different? Somewhere in between?
But In like this statement.

I have have a clear head. As far as the HA and natural Disaster side I'm hoping others will chime in. I can speak of what I saw during Katrina.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 14:43   #63
Flagg
Area Commander

New article in latest Special Warfare issue "UW in Cyberspace, The Cyber UW Pilot Team Concept" p68:

http://static.dvidshub.net/media/pubs/pdf_14790.pdf

I particularly like the references to "digital natives" and "digital immigrants".

It's an interesting twist on the difference between learning a language/culture and being raised in a language/culture.

It also leaves me wondering if in the social media space this problem has the potential to be compounded in some circumstances?

Language/culture native filter requirement followed or preceded by a "digital native" filter requirement, assuming no team based combination of the two.

It also looks like it's worth keeping an eye on the IDF's integrated social media activity.
Old 01-22-2014, 19:44   #64
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
New article in latest Special Warfare issue "UW in Cyberspace, The Cyber UW Pilot Team Concept" p68:

http://static.dvidshub.net/media/pubs/pdf_14790.pdf

I particularly like the references to "digital natives" and "digital immigrants".

It's an interesting twist on the difference between learning a language/culture and being raised in a language/culture.

It also leaves me wondering if in the social media space this problem has the potential to be compounded in some circumstances?

Language/culture native filter requirement followed or preceded by a "digital native" filter requirement, assuming no team based combination of the two.

It also looks like it's worth keeping an eye on the IDF's integrated social media activity.
Yes computer and SM is it own unique language, but being a language/culture. The physical is hard enough to grasp for most. No conceptual thinking going on here now.

Heck IDF, let's look who else is doing it. We are playing catch up and in the slow lane.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
Old 01-27-2014, 14:43   #65
Surf n Turf
Guerrilla Chief

Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance

Social Media ---- sounds sort of 1984 on Steroids. "Mass Disturbance" could be defined as anything --- TEA party meeting, NRA dinner, afternoon at the range, Meeting your local congress critter.

SnT

the situation on the streets of Kiev, Ukraine, is much calmer today. Protesters are still out in force but now it appears that the government is ready to negotiate after violent clashes this week left at least three people dead.

Well, in the midst of all the protests, a strange thing happened earlier this week when protesters got text messages on their phone that said: Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.

---were you surprised by this at all, that a text message like this could go out to all these people who were gathered in one place?

I was a little surprised that the government would advertise that it could do such a thing to try to quell a protest,

There is something called a tower dump where you can just ask the phone company to pull down records from nearby cell towers to find out what's going on and what, you know, what subscribers connected to a particular tower at a particular time. You can get a bunch of data on the people who are nearby just by asking for that information at times. --- The U.S. law enforcement agencies made more than 9,000 requests for tower dumps in 2012. ----

But you don't need to do that because you could also put up something called a stingray, a rogue cell tower yourself if you were a government who wanted to find out what's going on in a given area.

Short of turning off your phone or not using a phone at all, is there anything that you can do to protect yourself from something like this, from a government, wherever it may be, tracking where you are and then sending you a text message to tell you that it knows where you are? --- I can't think of anything offhand

http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2014/01/2...etadata-lesson

Democrats would burn down this country as long as they get to rule over the ashes

The FBI’s credibility was murdered by a sniper on Ruby Ridge; its corpse was burned to ashes outside Waco; soiled in a Delaware PC repair shop;. and buried in the basement of Mar-a-Lago..
Surf n Turf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 20:17   #66
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf n Turf View Post
Social Media ---- sounds sort of 1984 on Steroids. "Mass Disturbance" could be defined as anything --- TEA party meeting, NRA dinner, afternoon at the range, Meeting your local congress critter.

SnT

the situation on the streets of Kiev, Ukraine, is much calmer today. Protesters are still out in force but now it appears that the government is ready to negotiate after violent clashes this week left at least three people dead.

Well, in the midst of all the protests, a strange thing happened earlier this week when protesters got text messages on their phone that said: Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.

---were you surprised by this at all, that a text message like this could go out to all these people who were gathered in one place?

I was a little surprised that the government would advertise that it could do such a thing to try to quell a protest,

There is something called a tower dump where you can just ask the phone company to pull down records from nearby cell towers to find out what's going on and what, you know, what subscribers connected to a particular tower at a particular time. You can get a bunch of data on the people who are nearby just by asking for that information at times. --- The U.S. law enforcement agencies made more than 9,000 requests for tower dumps in 2012. ----

But you don't need to do that because you could also put up something called a stingray, a rogue cell tower yourself if you were a government who wanted to find out what's going on in a given area.

Short of turning off your phone or not using a phone at all, is there anything that you can do to protect yourself from something like this, from a government, wherever it may be, tracking where you are and then sending you a text message to tell you that it knows where you are? --- I can't think of anything offhand

Outside of using new phones. But that doesn't help. Two words... Voice recognition.

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 01-27-2014, 20:22   #67
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Angry Birds surveillance app

I wondered how long this would pop up. Just never thought Angry Birds.. Haha

Jay Carney ducks Angry Birds surveillance question

Victoria Jones of Talk News Radio Service framed her question around the avian app.

Quote:
The NSA is lurking in the background of your game of Angry Birds, waiting to scoop up all your personal data as you lob hapless creatures into the air,” she said. “This is the last bastion of American freedom has been breached. I mean, there seems to be something particularly egregious about going after leaky apps
http://www.politico.com/story/2014/0...#ixzz2regwFgmm

Heck here I thought my Angry Birds Star Wars was a time killer at the doctors office, dang it's a surveillance app pulling all my mobile bonner and contacts. Dang. Like to know what they think on my three SIM card cell phone. Guess that Mac and mini numbers are tag.

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 01-27-2014, 22:17   #68
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf n Turf View Post

SHIELDSAK, a product of the LOKSAK Corporation. Because just turning off your cellphone isn't enough. (Don't forget to turn your phone off before "bagging" it, otherwise it'll drain the battery as it searches fruitlessly for connectivity.)
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 22:30   #69
tonyz
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
SHIELDSAK, a product of the LOKSAK Corporation. Because just turning off your cellphone isn't enough. (Don't forget to turn your phone off before "bagging" it, otherwise it'll drain the battery as it searches fruitlessly for connectivity.)
Cool.

Does it come in a hat shape/sizes ?

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 20:33   #70
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
NSA has been logging you playing games on your cell phone at work and it WILL show up on your next NCOER. Now you know why your promotions are not coming as you expected.
I knew that years ago. Doesn't matter, I'm retiring this year.

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 02-11-2015, 12:30   #71
Flagg
Area Commander

Article on the social media TTPs and media manipulation of Leftist radical.

http://observer.com/2015/02/exclusiv...d-his-message/

Last edited by Flagg; 02-11-2015 at 21:13. Reason: Forgot to add link! Sorry :)
Old 02-11-2015, 13:54   #72
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Article on the social media TTPs and media manipulation of Leftist radical.
Link is Missing Flagg!!

Are you talking about the one covering Peter Young?

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 02-11-2015, 21:19   #73
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
Link is Missing Flagg!!

Are you talking about the one covering Peter Young?
That's the one!

Sorry for forgetting to add it to my post(edited now).

Good article.

On one hand, infuriating.

On the other, enlightening.

I couldn't help but think that it could represent a partial foundation for a digital generation's version of Alinsky's rules.
Old 11-07-2020, 21:22   #74
Penn
Area Commander

Seven years down the road, everything discussed in this thread was employed to undermine the Trump Administration. The assault harnessed the entire structure of SM and its communal relationship to the entire world. In my mind, it's the greatest domestic UW campaign ever undertaken. Even to the point, that blatant voter fraud as an accepted outcome is nothing less than a stunning achievement to goal.

Last edited by Penn; 11-07-2020 at 21:27.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 04:10   #75
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
Seven years down the road, everything discussed in this thread was employed to undermine the Trump Administration. The assault harnessed the entire structure of SM and its communal relationship to the entire world. In my mind, it's the greatest domestic UW campaign ever undertaken. Even to the point, that blatant voter fraud as an accepted outcome is nothing less than a stunning achievement to goal.
One of my favourite threads here.

Thanks for resurrecting it.

Sadly, it reads like an exact copy of strategy, doctrine, and operational execution for:

DNC
Antica
BLM
Black Bloc

1)Mixed with “Left-Tech” social media platform capacity and capability “mass” with relevant lessons learned and dusted off from the Arab Spring, particularly Libya/Egypt.

2)DNC portraying the role of Sinn Fein’s offset political wing to the above’s IRA.

3)Application of Saul Alinksy’s Rules for Radicals to portray assault groups as victims

4)Mimic the pre--ultra-violence Baader-Meinhoff Red Army Faction “Robin Hood/Honeymoon”phase of strong public support

It looks and feels like a plug-and-play Lego set of classic and contemporary best practices for a UW campaign.

What does a successful C-UW campaign look like here?