Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18F

Old 12-03-2013, 01:15   #31
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
Well that maybe the reserve component, yet on the active side we don't have many native speakers. Yet even with native speakers how many do you have? Yes he can check his SM network feeds or pages, etc. But how many in a day. Just like with any kind of intelligence disciplines, Its about the differences in Tasking, Collection, Processing, Exploitation, and Dissemination.

SM is OSINT and Open Source is anything overtly, legally gathered that is published both traditional and electronic. So no matter how many of the collection tools, analytical processes and objectives there are. I feel you still have look the same way as other disciplines and vary for tactical, operational and strategic uses. Human factor or not. Critical elements in SM include the human terrain and contextual aspects of available information collected from online sources. Emerging technology has opened the aperture on what is knowable and enables planners for preparation of operations.

The SAS are IMO the master of how to properly execute a COIN operation. From the secret war to rhodesian SAS, they all get it and have the freedom to operate.
IIRC in a briefing, AWG and USASEID are doing some form of this already. I always wish there are more collaboration among folks belonging to the same side. This is old news, but DHS surely has much to share on this topic too! http://www.jihadwatch.org/2012/01/we...hs-agents.html

I concur with the native speaker challenges. There were much discussion some years back here about regional misalignment with the SF pipeline, changes to language at the end, etc. When you have an ethnic oriental with high DLAB assigned French, it makes one wonder. The mismanagement of plenty MAVNI personnel assigned to USASOC is another wonder. It seems those assigned to Lewis are handled more properly. In my limited observation, the same with active CA too. Hell, I did not get to go to where I could make most difference despite native language and cultural proficiency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper John View Post
Me too and I am learning here! I wonder if we could expand this a bit and hold a little practicum for those who want to participate. What I am thinking is a project could be assigned, the class participants could open a Twitter account (for example) under a pseudonym, engage a target audience, and let the game begin. Report back in 30 days with what is learned. Not only would that be fun, we might see a few surprises too. MtnGoat, Penn, and Brush Okie could be the mentors if willing.
That surely would be fun! I am still waiting for Demosthenes and Locke I've met a few "Valentine's" that I'm most certain could have pulled it off. Thank goodness for teenage distraction these days lol

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:05   #32
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
I think we are thinking the same way, just stating it different. Reserve CA/MISO is available to active units, all it takes is paperwork.

While CA is NOT Intel the fact is we tend to collect a LOT of HUMINT by the nature of what we do, ie we talk to alot of people including civilians but because we are not S2/G2 commanders many times do not want to listen to what we have to say and we are put off to the side for "more important" things. Well CA used to do that, now they go around and make pay offs to dirty contractors.

Do an area assessment. Have a couple of guys just walk around and BS with the locals at coffee shops etc for a while and see what they come up with. You can do this on your next time out of the country or your next vacation. Anyone here can do this exercise. Look up an area not familiar to you. Go there and just hang out and get to know the locals.
CA and the HUMINT side. I know what CA to be able to as far as "collecting," but today I don't see it. 4-5 years ago there was a cry from USACAPOC for CA soldiers to go to our collectors course. Good reason, but not the same. My argument for not allowing CA to attend is you have people that can tell your soldiers what they they need to be doing. Collection mainly for Force Protection or so kind of LLSO. Each Batt, like SF has the MID and within there you have a CI section. That's good enough IMO.

I'm bring this up, not to get off on a CA and SF COLLECTION topic. But you bring up a great point that SF have missed out on. I always said that every SFODA section; 18B,C,D, and E should have one of them go to the two course. This would allow both the Fox and Threes the ability to "tap" into them. Also Charlie's work with local labors, Bravos too. Medics, well clinics, easy one. Echo, I still don't know, but they are there and will mingle with locals. So like CA they can collect, but even if these sections go to the two course they still need to know what to collect. Atmospherics is Sanitation, Healthcare, Power, Food, Water… and measurable, yet what is collectible. This is why I feel a collection plan is so important. You do IPB say, find gaps and now develop a engagement plan, a collection plan on how your going to find these gaps. What is measurable!! Teams are not doing this, from what I have seen. A good Fox and Three can direct the different sections, CA people and others; telling them what to ask about or for. So as a fox and three, you're synced. Many are not and it's dart board engagements for operations or just going a hunts.

So with all that said, yes we do need the face to face time in the long run. But I'm also looking at this as a time where you CAN NOT go into that country and get boots on the ground. SM and employment of IPE with analysis and visualization of Social Networks maybe your only option. This was done with Syria and Iran to date.

For me I look at SNA and how SM help us build a template of the Threat Process Model? Can it? Where are we going gathering information to fill in gaps on? How does this (SNA) support a collection management plan? Going with the CA HUMINT thought, which is a right way, and if you roll it up into a LLSO FP that you have people, soldiers, CA, MISO, ETC providing (collecting) the "talk on the street". Yet on SM with, Social Network Platform, how do we find the streets? Where do we go looking? Why do we even care to go looking online? I am not sure when this morphed into sentiment analysis or capabilities. But I'm looking at SM with a country apart of a protest, movement, insurgency, revolution as OSINT. Like other disciplines, they must answer three questions typically: Who benefits from this event/information? Why now? and so what?

For a Intelligence side of the house, most should know TCEPD cycle - Tasking Collection Processing Exploitation and Dissemination. Most forget this acronym TCEPD, but it really doesn't differ from use with other disciplines. Many of the collection tools, analytical processes and objectives are the same and vary for tactical, operational and strategic uses.

So what role does Social Media have in mobilizing protest, movement, insurgency, revolutions in a country? Or does it play a role? Can you find a tangible matrix of measure from Social Network Analysis (SNA).

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 21:47   #33
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Okay try a new direction for this subject. Not much input now. So I'm going with the assumption that SM plays into protest, movements and/or revolutions in a country. So I'm going down a road most of us know, insurgency/asymmetric warfare.

No matter which Intel Disciplines is used it's still all about how one uses the differences in Tasking, Collection, Processing, Exploitation, and Dissemination. Most ArcGiS, AnB and Palantir. For me this is some ideas I have for using SM within Intel Cycle and doing some Social Network Analysis (SNA). Here is my assessment broken down for thought and digesting.

Planning and Direction. The first step in the cycle, planning and direction, involves the management of the entire intelligence effort, from the identification of a need for data to the final delivery of the intelligence product to the consumer. The process consists of identifying, prioritizing, and validating intelligence requirements, translating requirements into observables, preparing collection plans, issuing requests for information collection, production, and dissemination, and continuously monitoring the availability of collected data. In this step specific collection capabilities are tasked, based on the type of information required, the susceptibility of the targeted activity to various types of collection activity, and the availability of collection assets. (http://www.fas.org/irp/nsa/ioss/threat96/part02.htm)

Intelligence Preparations of the Battlefield (IPB) is noteworthy for its flexibility. IPB is still a sound method and has useful applications to today's contemporary operating environment. And yes it has been adapted by inter-agencies and law enforcement as well. However, it is not a comprehensive solution. IPB was developed to fight the Soviet bloc forces in the Fulda Gap of northern Europe. Its predictive/estimative value (most likely/most dangerous course of action) was derived from the Red Army's rigid adherence to published doctrine. The Gulf War destroyed adversarial faith in Soviet doctrine, leaving many adversary states and non-state actors to develop their own unpublished doctrine. We now use IPB to fit a newer need, yet fundamentally flawed in most settings. Because of this the IPB theme was changed by NGA to fit this insurgency/asymmetric in what is now Intelligence Preparation of the Environment (IPE or sometimes Intelligence Preparation of the Operational Environment -- IPOE). So now we have Social Network Analysis (SNA) which is about entities and the relationships between them online or cyber. SNA has a number of variations within the intelligence community ranging from techniques such as association matrices through link analysis charts for visualization, right up to the validated mathematical models of statistics and data. Most Intelligence analyst knows I2's Analyst Notebook and Palantir for visualization linkage charts yet many Analysts don’t know how we can look at SM to conduct a threat modeling process in SNA for operations. Does SNA answer the basic question of what the Information will be used for Intelligence?

We is something to think about, the normal way of doing things with standard software.

http://youtu.be/FXTxs2UqHY4

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
Old 12-05-2013, 16:59   #34
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Collection

Collection. The second step in the intel cycle is collection, includes both acquiring information and provisioning that information to processing and production elements. The collection process encompasses the management of various activities, including developing collection guidelines that ensure optimal use of available intelligence resources. Intelligence collection requirements are developed to meet the needs of potential consumers. Based upon identified intelligence, requirements collection activities are given specific taskings to collect information. These taskings are generally redundant and may use a number of different intelligence disciplines for collection activities. Tasking redundancy compensates for the potential loss or failure of a collection asset. It ensures that the failure of a collection asset is compensated for by duplicate or different assets capable of answering the collection need. The use of different types of collection systems contributes to redundancy. It also allows the collection of different types of information that can be used to confirm or disprove potential assessments. Collection operations depend on secure, rapid, redundant, and reliable communications to allow for data exchange and to provide opportunities for cross-cueing of assets and tip-off exchanges between assets. Once collected, information is correlated and forwarded for processing and production. (http://www.fas.org/irp/nsa/ioss/threat96/part02.htm)

So within SNA, how does the Intelligence collection requirement relates to mapping, understanding, analyzing and measuring interactions across a network of people? Social Networks, both formal and informal can foster a knowledge sharing among individual, groups, participants, and organizations. SNA collection of SM information lays emphasis on large scale distributed information of participants in SM networks over a period of time. Using SNA software ability to relate one message to another, one post on a SM platform to other posts, and capture data from identities, personalities, locations, content, DTG of postings and messages to chronology logs of all actions in a “community.” Yet we can’t just use one system like we have been doing with the fall back AnB or Palantir just because it is easy to use. We have to be able to use of different types of collection systems contributes to redundancy in analyzing what our specific taskings to collect information from SM. You should be asking, why do I need to be looking at SM for information? Just as with any collection process, for SNA you are encompasses the management of various activities in cyber, including developing the same things you would be looking for in different intelligence disciplines for collection activities. Just because we are cyber it doesn’t change the way we operate. Just as in HUMINT you would be doing the same things are you would on a street corner, now your café is online. SM is OSINT at the heart of it; but still must be balanced with other disciplines when possible.

Freely available Social Network Analysis (SNA) Software

(Keep in mind that most of these use and/or produce a EXCELL spread sheet, so it can be used in other software we have now)
Netdraw: http://www.analytictech.com/downloadnd.htm
NodeXL: http://www.connectedaction.net/nodexl/ (NodeXL at this time can collect data from your Facebook, Flickr, Twitter, or Youtube accounts and graph them.)
+++ YouTube Video: http://youtu.be/39yXz72qdow
Gephi: www.gephi.org (Can collect data from your Facebook, Flickr, and Twitter accounts and graph them.)
***Understanding Gephi: http://www.martingrandjean.ch/introd...ization-gephi/
+++ YouTube Video: http://youtu.be/bXCBh6QH5W0
ORA: http://www.casos.cs.cmu.edu/projects/ora/index.php (Go to the software tab to download)
UCINET: downloads | ucinetsoftware but you need NetDraw to network visualization.
Visible Path
FOCA 3.2: (great for Metadata obtaining/analysis) http://www.informatica64.com/foca.aspx. +++YouTube Videos: http://youtu.be/XVjZEijbekw

This is a good list breaking down of different softwares for your viewing pleasures. http://www.casos.cs.cmu.edu/tools/tools.php

Purchase available Social Network Analysis (SNA) Software. Just the better ones I've seem employed.

Maltego: http://www.paterva.com/web6/products/maltego.php. (I really like this software)
+++ YouTube Video: http://youtu.be/e33NSUkyEg0
NetMinwe4: http://www.netminer.com/index.php#! (Can collect data from your Facebook, Flickr, Twitter, or Youtube accounts and visualization them.)
+++ YouTube Video: http://youtu.be/9GZVhmZou_c

Examples of SNA Collection. http://s4rsa.wikispaces.com/Social+Network+Analysis

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 12-06-2013, 17:30   #35
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

If you look at the free SNA software, you see there is a lot you can do. FOCA is great at "looking" at and within file. Metadata if you don't know what that is, google it. Pictures too, I saw one where they went onto three dating sites, LinkedIn and FB; all free accounts and every picture got all kinds of user information. The Metadata. The other funny thing, was all the pictures that picture block faces, "painted" over rooms, backgrounds and other things. Well FOCA "unpainted" all the pictures. It opened my eyes bigger than $&!#.

Yes principles are the same, for me the process stays the same too. The Old Days of doing link analysis was 3x5 cards and photos taped to a wall, chalk boards, and white boards, just migrated to the computers and use of software. Like the old Cold War days of the five book set of the Soviet Union doctrine and tactics. We could go off indicators based off their doctrine and tactics. No THINK TANK has a full study, good white paper or anything studying the indicators of SM. Well I haven't read any.

It’s just like Intelligence Cycle, invented over 50 years ago, yet the basics of the principles are there, and the process still works.

I'm going with my basics of the linkage analysis and add them to a SNA process:

•Identifying the network of people to be analyzed (e.g. Individual, team, group, and organizations).
•Gathering background information – finding within/on SM network platforms the key players and individuals, understand the specific needs and actions.
•Clarifying objectives, defining the scope of the analysis and agreeing on the level of reporting required for Commanders.
•Formulating hypotheses and questions of what the defined problem or questions are.
•Developing the methodology and designing the Gaps questionnaire.
•”Surveying” the individuals in the network to identify the relationships and knowledge flows between them.
•Use a network visualization software mapping tools to visually map out the SM network.
•Reviewing the map and develop a library for the modeling, analysis, and visualization of SM network data.
•Designing and implementing actions to bring about desired changes within the “system.”
•Mapping the network and how the ability to extract "who", "what", "where", "when" and "why" facts and then drill down to understand people, places and events and how they are related.

This isn’t just about doing an IPB as in an IPE/IPOE. This could be used in many ways. Say how SOF uses SM when you have militants targeting passenger trains, gas pipelines, security forces, and kidnapping NGO workers in the area for more than a (X-Time) whereas incidents of kidnapping for ransom have also risen (Y-Time) recently. So if militant groups are using YouTube to spread their propaganda (ransom requests, videos of IED Explosions). Can we use SNA for a IO counter-campaign? Tracking, indicators of the militants? Looking at what they are doing on SM and how we can use for or against what they are doing. Within the IW, UW and Integrated Asymmetric Warfare Environment (IAWE) can we use SNA? I say yes, we have people looking at what the business world is doing for their business network analysis and just like the ODAA loop in business changed to Plan Do Check Act (PDCA) cycle. What can we do or change?

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Last edited by MtnGoat; 12-06-2013 at 17:34.
Old 12-06-2013, 22:36   #36
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
FOCA is great at "looking" at and within file. Metadata if you don't know what that is, google it. Pictures too, I saw one where they went onto three dating sites, LinkedIn and FB; all free accounts and every picture got all kinds of user information. The Metadata. The other funny thing, was all the pictures that picture block faces, "painted" over rooms, backgrounds and other things. Well FOCA "unpainted" all the pictures. It opened my eyes bigger than $&!#.
Thank you so very much for all these posts, MtnGoat. Yes, I was all wide-eyed too. Considering all the implications, that's scary *****.

When I perused those softwares, I didn't see much noise suppression though. Information is only as good as the knowledge one can extract from it.

I genuinely felt smarter going through and rereading this thread. As I delve further in the IC, I'd be grand to meet you and pick your brain barring OPSEC/PERSEC of course.

Ditto with Brush Okie on disinformation. Misdirection works well from the hand-to-hand level all the way to strategic.

INDNJC
Old 12-07-2013, 13:03   #37
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
A thought here. Besides the ideas you have above (all good) how about SM web for information support for resources etc. For instance on the CA side how to build a sand filter for water and videos of your success and or information with links to gather intel. An example is the FBI most wanted but have a website dedicated with links, videos etc. Even a tip line of sorts ie email address to send intel from anyone that might have some.

You could have plans for building basic community projects, how to videos, etc etc. and even a forum section for people to post etc. This would be a type of collection point, PR, CA, MISO cyber point. It would also be a great big target for the bad guys and that in its self can be an asset when you give them a "target" their attacks can be traced. Also if the anti American folks want to come on we can even have some dialogue with them in a safe manner much like my earlier example with the SAS on Oman did.

I am far from an electronics guy but the server etc would be independent from government servers etc so if it did go down it will not affect the rest of the govt web sites.

Just kicking around some ideas that may sound nuts or be impractical but sometimes kicking around crazy ideas brings out a good workable solution. This coud even be done at team, company or Bn. level for a specific region, country or population within a country.
Once again, BO, we are thinking alike. (This is getting scary weird, so stop it. )
I was thinking almost exactly the same thing, but more in reference to Twitter.

I signed up for a Twitter account several months ago as an experiment to pulse attitudes, etc. particularly the 20-30 yo age group. One of the things that I noticed (or think that I noticed) is that as you post and develop a posting history, select folks to follow, and accrue followers, that Twitter segregates you into groups of of like minded users and isolated from the rest of the Twitterverse.

I doubt that SM can be used to mobilize protests or revolutions as was the original question of this thread. However, it would appear that SM could be useful in mapping groups that are potential assets or potential targets.

Might be interesting to try this as a little experiment.
Old 12-07-2013, 17:44   #38
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Collection. The second step in the intel cycle is collection, includes both acquiring information and provisioning that information to processing and production elements. The collection process encompasses the management of various activities, including developing collection guidelines that ensure optimal use of available intelligence resources. Intelligence collection requirements are developed to meet the needs of potential consumers. Based upon identified intelligence, requirements collection activities are given specific taskings to collect information. These taskings are generally redundant and may use a number of different intelligence disciplines for collection activities. Tasking redundancy compensates for the potential loss or failure of a collection asset. It ensures that the failure of a collection asset is compensated for by duplicate or different assets capable of answering the collection need. The use of different types of collection systems contributes to redundancy. It also allows the collection of different types of information that can be used to confirm or disprove potential assessments. Collection operations depend on secure, rapid, redundant, and reliable communications to allow for data exchange and to provide opportunities for cross-cueing of assets and tip-off exchanges between assets. Once collected, information is correlated and forwarded for processing and production. (http://www.fas.org/irp/nsa/ioss/threat96/part02.htm)

So within SNA, how does the Intelligence collection requirement relates to mapping, understanding, analyzing and measuring interactions across a network of people? Social Networks, both formal and informal can foster a knowledge sharing among individual, groups, participants, and organizations. SNA collection of SM information lays emphasis on large scale distributed information of participants in SM networks over a period of time. Using SNA software ability to relate one message to another, one post on a SM platform to other posts, and capture data from identities, personalities, locations, content, DTG of postings and messages to chronology logs of all actions in a “community.” Yet we can’t just use one system like we have been doing with the fall back AnB or Palantir just because it is easy to use. We have to be able to use of different types of collection systems contributes to redundancy in analyzing what our specific taskings to collect information from SM. You should be asking, why do I need to be looking at SM for information? Just as with any collection process, for SNA you are encompasses the management of various activities in cyber, including developing the same things you would be looking for in different intelligence disciplines for collection activities. Just because we are cyber it doesn’t change the way we operate. Just as in HUMINT you would be doing the same things are you would on a street corner, now your café is online. SM is OSINT at the heart of it; but still must be balanced with other disciplines when possible.

Freely available Social Network Analysis (SNA) Software

(Keep in mind that most of these use and/or produce a EXCELL spread sheet, so it can be used in other software we have now)
Netdraw: http://www.analytictech.com/downloadnd.htm
NodeXL: http://www.connectedaction.net/nodexl/ (NodeXL at this time can collect data from your Facebook, Flickr, Twitter, or Youtube accounts and graph them.)
+++ YouTube Video: http://youtu.be/39yXz72qdow
Gephi: www.gephi.org (Can collect data from your Facebook, Flickr, and Twitter accounts and graph them.)
***Understanding Gephi: http://www.martingrandjean.ch/introd...ization-gephi/
+++ YouTube Video: http://youtu.be/bXCBh6QH5W0
ORA: http://www.casos.cs.cmu.edu/projects/ora/index.php (Go to the software tab to download)
UCINET: downloads | ucinetsoftware but you need NetDraw to network visualization.
Visible Path
FOCA 3.2: (great for Metadata obtaining/analysis) http://www.informatica64.com/foca.aspx. +++YouTube Videos: http://youtu.be/XVjZEijbekw

This is a good list breaking down of different softwares for your viewing pleasures. http://www.casos.cs.cmu.edu/tools/tools.php

Purchase available Social Network Analysis (SNA) Software. Just the better ones I've seem employed.

Maltego: http://www.paterva.com/web6/products/maltego.php. (I really like this software)
+++ YouTube Video: http://youtu.be/e33NSUkyEg0
NetMinwe4: http://www.netminer.com/index.php#! (Can collect data from your Facebook, Flickr, Twitter, or Youtube accounts and visualization them.)
+++ YouTube Video: http://youtu.be/9GZVhmZou_c

Examples of SNA Collection. http://s4rsa.wikispaces.com/Social+Network+Analysis
Okay this is going off something that a Trapper John posted.

Quote:
I signed up for a Twitter account several months ago as an experiment to pulse attitudes, etc. particularly the 20-30 yo age group. One of the things that I noticed (or think that I noticed) is that as you post and develop a posting history, select folks to follow, and accrue followers, that Twitter segregates you into groups of of like minded users and isolated from the rest of the Twitterverse.
Most of these software, websites and a lot of the other places you can go onto to play around use your account to log onto. IMHO do not use your real account and if you doing it from a mobile device make sure you have your GSP location turned off or go into your sets and change your location to another location manually.

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 12-07-2013, 18:32   #39
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Once again, BO, we are thinking alike. (This is getting scary weird, so stop it. )
I was thinking almost exactly the same thing, but more in reference to Twitter.

I doubt that SM can be used to mobilize protests or revolutions as was the original question of this thread. However, it would appear that SM could be useful in mapping groups that are potential assets or potential targets.

Might be interesting to try this as a little experiment.
As far as the Twitter, just go to BING.com and on the main page look for MAPS, then on the left side look for MAP APPS.. then scroll down and look for and click at TWITTER MAPS box. This typically will not work on mobile devices, not on my IPad. You can download the "app" but I wouldn't. Also, don't click this if your a daily twitter user unless you want everyone to see you. I say make a new account to look around in detail. You can just click on the bing twitter map, this will let you see every in your vicinity is tweeting about. If you are a FB person and leave yourself log on, didn't with BING (IMO) it will absorb your FB Account, so log out of FB before using BING IMO.

BING TWITTER MAP

Bing twitter map is more of a business "interface" app or feature. It is for business' to load it (link on their URL) onto their website for viewers to see what is being Talked about. I.E.: a resort loading into there web page you visit online.

So far as twitter there is a lot of business applications that can be used that will make you say wow!!

Look for a Imagery Metadata, people and posting photos. Got to love them. Especially people that do it from there work place. You just tweeted a pic of your computer desktop.. WTH?!?? There's more for this subject, Metadata later too.

[QUOTE=Trapper John;532651I doubt that SM can be used to mobilize protests or revolutions as was the original question of this thread. However, it would appear that SM could be useful in mapping groups that are potential assets or potential targets. [/QUOTE]

TRAPPER JOHN.. I'm think of doing a video to show somethings someone can do just with business apps or websites to see what people are "talking" about or posting there pictures. Which is nothing more that what many business are doing to drive up sales, bring in clients, or spread the word or to "hash tag" something they want pushed. If a business can get people talking about something, or get people following their "hash tags" or discussions. Do you think with your background and training think you could direct someone with the knowledge, and/or expertise in using trending "hash tags" for other means?

One thing to keep in mind, I guess this isn't just about the thread subject. But how you, IMNSHO, is/are being looked at by businesses in many ways. It's not all about your VIP Grocery key chain card, they can do it if you're big into SM platforms.

So with that, I'm a believer that we, SOF, and the military can use SNA in many ways.

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 12-08-2013, 06:57   #40
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Holy Snoop n' Poop Batman!
Quote:
Do you think with your background and training think you could direct someone with the knowledge, and/or expertise in using trending "hash tags" for other means?
You have just opened my eyes to a whole new world of possibilities.

I've got some homework to do - really, really good thread Bro
Old 12-08-2013, 09:10   #41
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Holy Snoop n' Poop Batman!

You have just opened my eyes to a whole new world of possibilities.

I've got some homework to do - really, really good thread Bro
Business does it why no others, is my thinking.

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Last edited by MtnGoat; 12-08-2013 at 09:50.
Old 12-08-2013, 13:51   #42
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire View Post
Thank you so very much for all these posts, MtnGoat. Yes, I was all wide-eyed too. Considering all the implications, that's scary *****.

When I perused those softwares, I didn't see much noise suppression though. Information is only as good as the knowledge one can extract from it.

I genuinely felt smarter going through and rereading this thread. As I delve further in the IC, I'd be grand to meet you and pick your brain barring OPSEC/PERSEC of course.

Ditto with Brush Okie on disinformation. Misdirection works well from the hand-to-hand level all the way to strategic.
As far as the noise of the information, are asking if anyone uses the software and that the data is pulled in is so much and then you visualize it, you will see so much that it will be a bunch of dots and lines? So much that you really wouldn't be able to find any information out there. Is this what your saying?

Yes, to a point, but most software user can set the parameters. Also just for anyone that uses AnB or Palantir, you can control where, what and how you "pull" the data. So for me it is learning the software you are using and the user knowledge of that system. 18Fs don't use the ASK Kits we have with AnB. Then you have Palantir, where many 18Fs and MID people don't really know it we'll enough to use it effectively. This plays into one of the biggest issues with a lot of this.. User knowledge. This is where many say other people can do all of this. For me the people saying this aren't down at the tactical level, on the ODAs, CATs or MIST. So sending up a RFS to come MACOM or Nation level Agency takes time, typically over a week. Think about those CIOC RFS you submit online. How long do they take? This goes back to my thinking of adding the new cyber MOSs at the Battalion MIDs and even at some Company levels. Remove a ASAP or HUMINT position and add a heckler or cyber MOS there. We don't have this capability currently. Remember most of what SM is and doing SMA is a big form of OSINT. So your not losing a ASAP, we are gaining another INTEL assist position and can also be very Operational in means. Goes back to the BCT / FSC methodology, keep it internal for better and fast support.

Or you say that is data is bad you get bad visualization? Shit in equals shit out thinking?

If this is your thinking? This has always been an issue with all disciplines of INTEL. You get what others put into the system. Analysis job is to shift through the data to find what you have and can use. Visualization software don't always make is easier, but IMO it really helps. This is where a good Commanders Intent plays in with a solid collection plans come in too.

If these are not what your looking at please fill in. Expand on what your thinking too. THANKs

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 12-08-2013, 22:07   #43
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Going along with a specific target audience I was thinking of this.

As most of you know AQ has schools they call madrases that they "sponsor" poor kids and put them in their boarding school then brain wash them into their belief and strapping on a suicide vest.

As a counter to this we could set up web pages, twitter accounts etc etc specifically targeting this age group in Muslim countries countering this belief system, spreading what really happens there ie man on boy rape etc. and general intrest to this generation. Part of the problem is we are not looking past the next election and they are looking and the next generation and beyond for their recruitment and spreading their revolution.

Part of the problem will be these kids will not have access to the internet, so we set up an internet cafe type thing for kids in those countries. When I was a kid long long ago we didn't have home video games so we went to the Arcade. Set something like that up in local villages with internet access and even sell cheap computers or notebooks so that the kids can access the SM sights we set up. It is better to sell them for next to noting than for free because if AQ confiscates it or destroys it they are making an enemy of that person by destroying something of theirs instead of something that was free. It might take a few free ones to get started or occasionally. The site we set up would of course have free internet access and computers to access the internet.
IMPO this would be VERY hard to do. You can make people use the internet when they never have used it before. Most countries where AQ set up madrases, the kids are already uneducated and never even seen a book let alone a computer or laptop. Even with mobile cell phones, you have to have 3/4G coverage.

A lot of factors in what you're talking about here. I see this more as you are looking for a sect of population that is currently engaged on some kind of SM platform. From those people you can study, analysis and social engineer them through your SM post, Tweets, etc.

Did anyone go to the CTTSO/TSWG end of the year Conference? Lt. Gen. Michael T. Flynn, director of the Defense Intelligence Agency, spoke during the conference over the impact SM has today.

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 12-09-2013, 06:20   #44
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Okay keeping with the INTEL CYCLE and the Collection Phase of the cycle. I had to go back and look through my history and search YouTube, got to love YouTube, but I think these explain a lot of what I'm saying.

YouTube. OSINT - SM Footprinting

So looking at what is going on within Twitter Tweets, you can start seeing what individuals, people and groups are interested in. Can they be apart of some kind of movement within the community or country? From this to can start building how you want to "market" these individuals, people and groups based off what they are interested in. Most people call this Social Engineering.

Looking at 9:99 to 10:00 and how Ray talks about username and the ID is very interesting. For everyone thinking you change your username on SM platforms is enough, need to go here and listen closely.

Elisatation, can it be done via SM? Can you motivate people based off their interests from what they are Tweeting, posting or talking about? Something to think about.

The "Echo Chamber" part at 13:00-15:00 is interesting bit of informations. The WORDLE.NET is just in example of . Resume machines have this feature for looking at text and seeming which word are used more. But goes back to trending and what one person is "talking" about. Then how Ray ties it into a kind of linkage analysis software. He used CaseFile, but you can really use any analysis software that imports Excel files then visualize the Excel data.

One thing to take away from this is the fact that at 38:00+ He talks about some interesting tools. All of these are tools that someone made, most are free and online. Yes this is something that is outside of SOF, for now. Yet, can be made for a propose. Only left up to your mind. It's like the AOL client (app) BRIZZLY being used and was developed for end users needs, yet dropped by AOL a year or so later. Can someone build a client based off users trending and operating systems or devices? Needs to user to results? Just like the Bing Twitter Map, if you click on a Tweet location, you get the username, tweet information or text and what the are using (device) along with operating system. You have many different information here to use for many different means.

If you look at the statistics and how many are there, this is where I was talking about Lean 6 Sigma for people that know how that works for business. Taking that model for fixing a "problem" and turning it into an another.. Hummmm format?!?? Possibilities??

Now this second video is about 50 mins long.

Using Social Networks To Profile, Find and 0wn Your Victims

It discussions basically different of free software, but mainly websites that someone can use to find someone or how a businesses uses it to drive up foot traffic, sales, and reTweets. The speaker discussions how SM is used to target people and how you can use many different SM platforms for this.

After watching it, think about what he is talking about and how it can be used to "follow" people. Great on the different websites and use of social engineering techniques. Goes back to the question I posed, with our training can you influence people? All of what you do face to face is being done online right now by some many different people.

I'm not breaking down this video, I'll leave that up to the discussion. But after watching it, think about what your using; your wife, friends, etc. Do you change you user name for some reason? Do you have a linkage even if you change it? Now think about that and discuss it. Discuss how to "reverse engineer" that whole process and what you can do. Like I said, this is open to non- 18 series guys. I know there is likely people with a AI background.

I would ask that if you are making comments on one of the videos, please list the video in the comments subject box at the top. This would make it easier to know which one you're talking about. Hopefully you enjoy the videos.

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 12-09-2013, 23:06   #45
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
IMPO this would be VERY hard to do. You can make people use the internet when they never have used it before. Most countries where AQ set up madrases, the kids are already uneducated and never even seen a book let alone a computer or laptop. Even with mobile cell phones, you have to have 3/4G coverage.

A lot of factors in what you're talking about here. I see this more as you are looking for a sect of population that is currently engaged on some kind of SM platform. From those people you can study, analysis and social engineer them through your SM post, Tweets, etc.

Did anyone go to the CTTSO/TSWG end of the year Conference? Lt. Gen. Michael T. Flynn, director of the Defense Intelligence Agency, spoke during the conference over the impact SM has today.
This might be over-enthusiastic optimism, but is it not probable the tech-savvy population segment can be polarized (shaped) to trickle down the message to the non-tech one?

We just have to put a convincing non-western narrative, appealing with "be good" Koran verses, and throw a massive tweet/retweet along with it. It's like Greg Mortenson reasoning to educate girls when in the culture, the boy needs to get blessing from the mothers to wage jihad.

INDNJC