Old 10-14-2013, 17:34   #1
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Body Language

I thought this would be a nice topic.

I remember being on my first ODA I was given a book on body Language. Great things to know.

Watch "History Channel Secrets of body language 720p" on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW9z...e_gdata_player

I know there is one given to police officers which if anyone knows or it post.

You also have the courses ran by Reid Institute, like their interview and interrogation training.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 21:53   #2
Surf n Turf
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
I thought this would be a nice topic.
I remember being on my first ODA I was given a book on body Language. Great things to know.
Watch "History Channel Secrets of body language 720p" on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW9z...e_gdata_player
I know there is one given to police officers which if anyone knows or it post.
You also have the courses ran by Reid Institute, like their interview and interrogation training.
MtnGoat,
Another great area of study on body language is from the world of poker, and the poker "tells". That's covered in the school of lost wages
SnT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LPHvJNv72o

Democrats would burn down this country as long as they get to rule over the ashes

The FBI’s credibility was murdered by a sniper on Ruby Ridge; its corpse was burned to ashes outside Waco; soiled in a Delaware PC repair shop;. and buried in the basement of Mar-a-Lago..
Surf n Turf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 13:17   #3
Toaster
Guerrilla

Interrogator Correspondence Course

I've been told by a QP that the Army's Interrogator Correspondence Course is excellent for reading body language. Half of sales is interrogation.

It could be that the course no longer exists when they revamped everything, or that I am simply not able to locate it on ATRRS or SkillSoft.

"Nothing is more dangerous than an NCO or Officer who has been taught a technique or method, but doesn't understand the underlying principles or the "why" behind it." -MtnGoat

"How can someone improve their ability to lead? Die to self.

The most rewarding thing a leader will receive is having someone place their life in your hands and say, I will follow you." -SGT Gary Beikirch
Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 19:39   #4
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster View Post
I've been told by a QP that the Army's Interrogator Correspondence Course is excellent for reading body language. Half of sales is interrogation.

It could be that the course no longer exists when they revamped everything, or that I am simply not able to locate it on ATRRS or SkillSoft.
Nice information. .Naw just the PC training this course was removed from ATTRS and c skill soft.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
Old 10-31-2013, 08:35   #5
Toaster
Guerrilla

Does anyone have any training materials from the course?

The manual is on ebay here.

http://www.amazon.com/U-S-Army-Intel...ogation+manual

"Nothing is more dangerous than an NCO or Officer who has been taught a technique or method, but doesn't understand the underlying principles or the "why" behind it." -MtnGoat

The most rewarding thing a leader will receive is having someone place their life in your hands and say, I will follow you." -SGT Gary Beikirch

Last edited by Toaster; 11-05-2013 at 11:45.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:42   #6
Toaster
Guerrilla

Additional resources

Another possible resource for someone to look into body language would be any Law Enforcement personnel that you know and have the rapport to talk about the subject with. This may not be the best approach, but it is a starting point.

Old 11-05-2013, 13:26   #7
mugwump
Area Commander

I was at a business conference where Susan Constantine gave a presentation on body language. She was brilliant. I see she authored a "Dummy" book that's well-reviewed on Amazon. I haven't seen it but if it's anything like her presentation it'd be a good place to start your studies.

Something she focused on that I hadn't seen before was challenging someone with your own calculated body language to elicit a 'tell' from the 'target'. Pretty interesting.

“Klaatu barada nikto”
mugwump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 21:08   #8
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugwump View Post
I was at a business conference where Susan Constantine gave a presentation on body language. She was brilliant. I see she authored a "Dummy" book that's well-reviewed on Amazon. I haven't seen it but if it's anything like her presentation it'd be a good place to start your studies.

Something she focused on that I hadn't seen before was challenging someone with your own calculated body language to elicit a 'tell' from the 'target'. Pretty interesting.
Susan Constantine has some great topics on nonverbal communication and has videos on YouTube also.

Nonverbal Communication:

http://psychology.about.com/od/nonve...erbaltypes.htm

Eye Reading:

http://www.psychologistworld.com/bodylanguage/eyes.php

http://www.2knowmyself.com/how_can_y..._by_their_eyes

I use to have a great Ppt show covering what this article has.

http://www.viewzone.com/liar.html

http://www.blifaloo.com/info/lies_eyes.php

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 11-16-2013, 12:08   #9
Toaster
Guerrilla

legal realm

I was eating with a judge and a prosecutor and they told me that they are trained in body language. It's apparently pretty important in the courtroom with everyone involved.

Another side note is that neither of them would ever allow a member of the Special Forces on a jury again, because they can lie convincingly. Interrogation techniques, understanding tells and being able to repeat the same body language under questioning is something that people would rather others not be able to do.

Last edited by Toaster; 11-16-2013 at 12:10. Reason: Clarification
Old 11-16-2013, 16:03   #10
GratefulCitizen
Area Commander

People who are trained/experienced in reading body language often have "tells" which reveal the fact that they're trained/experienced.

There are many, but one of the most obvious is "mirroring".
They'll mimic your posture, particularly how open or closed it is (this is often literally mirror image, left vs right).

Such people frequently have a difficult time relaxing and interacting genuinely with new acquaintances.
It's nothing personal, their apprehension is probably rooted in the same reason they acquired the training/experience.

It's possible to put them at ease.

After some interaction, demonstrate some "submissive" body language and wait for them to demonstrate something which indicates feelings of superiority.
Another alternative is to ask them to talk about something in which they have expertise.

Then they'll relax and the interaction will be more genuine.
"Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap." -Ecclesiastes 11:4 (NIV)
GratefulCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 20:15   #11
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Neuro-linguistic programming (NLP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GratefulCitizen View Post
People who are trained/experienced in reading body language often have "tells" which reveal the fact that they're trained/experienced.

There are many, but one of the most obvious is "mirroring".
They'll mimic your posture, particularly how open or closed it is (this is often literally mirror image, left vs right).

Such people frequently have a difficult time relaxing and interacting genuinely with new acquaintances.
It's nothing personal, their apprehension is probably rooted in the same reason they acquired the training/experience.

It's possible to put them at ease.

After some interaction, demonstrate some "submissive" body language and wait for them to demonstrate something which indicates feelings of superiority.
Another alternative is to ask them to talk about something in which they have expertise.

Then they'll relax and the interaction will be more genuine.
Some of what your saying GratefulCitizen is what some would call Neuro-Linguistic Programming, which is something else to think about as far as body language.

Google Neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) and you will see it is an approach to communication, personal development, and psychotherapy created by Richard Bandler and John Grinder in the 1970s. Both believed there is a connection between the neurological processes ("neuro"), language both spoken and non-spoken ("linguistic") and behavioral patterns learned through experience ("programming"). This is what a lot of social engineering people use within their methodology for "working" people, groups, and organizations. There general two types Social engineering. One is in political & social science engineering, influencing society on a large scale as in the Arab Spring up rises, insurgencies movements, and political campaigning. There is also social engineering for information security, for obtaining confidential information or obtaining access and placement by manipulating and/or deceiving people for industrial espionage and/or hackers. As with both sects of social engineering, you look at influence including establishing rapport, gleaning information about a problem mental state and desired goals, using specific tools and techniques to make interventions, elicitation, and integrating proposed changes into the person, people, groups, and organizations trying to obtain whatever from them.

Some sites:

http://www.nlpu.com/NewDesign/NLPU_WhatIsNLP.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYU7dkG6DtA

http://www.social-engineer.org/newsl...rVol02Is10.htm

Look up Neuro-Linguistic Programming for dummies PDF

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 11-20-2013, 23:05   #12
GratefulCitizen
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
Some of what your saying GratefulCitizen is what some would call Neuro-Linguistic Programming, which is something else to think about as far as body language.

Google Neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) and you will see it is an approach to communication, personal development, and psychotherapy created by Richard Bandler and John Grinder in the 1970s. Both believed there is a connection between the neurological processes ("neuro"), language both spoken and non-spoken ("linguistic") and behavioral patterns learned through experience ("programming"). This is what a lot of social engineering people use within their methodology for "working" people, groups, and organizations. There general two types Social engineering. One is in political & social science engineering, influencing society on a large scale as in the Arab Spring up rises, insurgencies movements, and political campaigning. There is also social engineering for information security, for obtaining confidential information or obtaining access and placement by manipulating and/or deceiving people for industrial espionage and/or hackers. As with both sects of social engineering, you look at influence including establishing rapport, gleaning information about a problem mental state and desired goals, using specific tools and techniques to make interventions, elicitation, and integrating proposed changes into the person, people, groups, and organizations trying to obtain whatever from them.

Some sites:

http://www.nlpu.com/NewDesign/NLPU_WhatIsNLP.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYU7dkG6DtA

http://www.social-engineer.org/newsl...rVol02Is10.htm

Look up Neuro-Linguistic Programming for dummies PDF
Spent many of my younger years working as a bellman and as a bouncer.
Had to assess people quickly and act quickly.

Emphasis on "act" not "react".
Teaching the new guys how to assess was easy, teaching them to act rather than react was a bit more difficult.
"Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap." -Ecclesiastes 11:4 (NIV)
GratefulCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:54   #13
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

"Eye reading," this typically is what most think of along with the the different links I posted.

Does it change for different handed people?

What about cultures?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eye movement.jpg (16.9 KB, 73 views)

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 11-21-2013, 11:59   #14
FlagDayNCO
Guerrilla

Eye Fun

Always fun to play the mirror game. It gets freaky when it seams you are in a house of mirrors.

The Cold War didn't end, communism still lives and has come to America.

The Insurgency is going well, especially with the enemy at the table of every branch of our Federal, State, and Local Government.
FlagDayNCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 21:17   #15
Toaster
Guerrilla

I don't believe it changes with different hand dominances. I'm a lefty and I have had eye reading used on me. Should be universal.