GrumpyMedic
Quiet Professional

Touchet Dusty. Message received.
GrumpyMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:47   #62
Buffalobob
Quiet Professional

Quote:
how is it possible that we have so many whiny men in SF, or society for that matter? I realize that this is a different era and a different generation but I have men who complain about the most inconsiquential stuff, incessently
Things haven't changed. You just weren't there to know the whiners first hand. We honor and remember those who rose above, not those who stood in the back and bitched.

SFA M-9545
Buffalobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:01   #63
THE_Onus
Asset

I'm at the USMA prep school in Alabama right now and we have the Alabama Military Hall of Honor located here on campus. COL Howard has a plaque in there and it turns out that he was my CO's great uncle. My jaw dropped when I figured both of those things out. Just something a little something I felt like sharing.

If you knew you would be in the fight of your life today, would you have trained harder yesterday?
THE_Onus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 14:40   #64
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_Onus View Post
I'm at the USMA prep school in Alabama right now and we have the Alabama Military Hall of Honor located here on campus. COL Howard has a plaque in there and it turns out that he was my CO's great uncle. My jaw dropped when I figured both of those things out. Just something a little something I felt like sharing.
I can tell you that COL Howard "shared" with many of us on this website! And most of what the Colonel Howard shared with us was "pain"........
Old 10-20-2011, 14:45   #65
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
I can tell you that COL Howard "shared" with many of us on this website! And most of what the Colonel Howard shared with us was "pain"...
...and aggressiveness of spirit...
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 15:12   #66
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

The man could thin a herd most ricky-tick.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:18   #67
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
For anyone who wants to know a bit about Bob Howard, leadership, and to watch and hear him tell his own story, here's a link to a program worth viewing.

Recon: Courage under Fire

http://player.theplatform.com/ps/pla...4yLZspt4Z5mpgc

Richard
Outstanding post.........

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 23:43   #68
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Howard did not know the word, “hopeless.” Many years later he explained his mindset during the Medal of Honor operation: “I had one choice: to lay and wait, or keep fighting for my men. If I waited, I gambled that things would get better while I did nothing. If I kept fighting, no matter how painful, I could stack the odds that recovery for my men and a safe exodus were achievable.”
If CPL Desmond T. Doss is the embodiment of undying faith, COL Howard is one for indomitable spirit. From time to time, I'd walk to the All American Medal of Honor hall, look at the profile of these legends and reflect. Always came out with renewed resolve...

Thanks for the inspirational posts, Richard

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 21:54   #69
stg
Asset

I'd like to echo those thanks.

COL Howard was my mentor's mentor. My gratitude to my mentor (and, indirectly, COL Howard) can never be fully expressed.
stg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 22:58   #70
hharke
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksteve View Post
but he was the chief of either tower or ground branch when i went through jump school....

dayum, that was a long time ago...seems like yesterday...,.

lksteve
If that was in late 72", He was Chief of the Tower committee.

Ran across him again in 74 at B Co 75th at Ft Lewis, Ranger School in 76 and worked for him in PH1 and 3 in 81-83,

He was truely amazing and harder than chicken lips.

Last edited by hharke; 12-22-2011 at 23:07.
hharke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:36   #71
thesushi1413
Asset

I was assigned to CCC a few months after this action took place. (May, 1969) When I arrived, Col. (then SFC) Bob Howard was the Recon Company First Sergeant. My first impression of this man was that he was someone you always paid attention to whenever he spoke. He had a presence that made him stand out in any room, no matter how large. I was an inexperienced new guy in an organization of exceptionally professional, and ,sometimes, legendary soldiers. The SOA/SOG mission demanded a constant and elevated attention to detail and a willingness to expose oneself to additional dangers when it came to planning and execution of missions, a fact that made my head spin and my heart beat ferociously in my chest as First Sergeant Howard explained the scope of the unit's mission and my role in it at my initial in-briefing. He pulled no punches when he described what I'd be doing and where I'd be doing it. He definitely made an impression me, one that I've never forgotten. He expected much of us and I think we delivered as a unit. He was Bob Howard - how could you ever think of disappointing him?! If anyone has read this, please know that I couldn't resist commenting when I saw the post containing his MOH Citation. I'm proud to say that I served with the man, no matter how briefly, and that I will never forget him

Jay Holland
RT South Caroline
RT Ohio
B Co, Hatchet Force
Old 02-09-2012, 23:20   #72
Sarski

Right on, thesushi (I have huge a sushi addiction/habbit by the way).

Thank you for your service. I am certain that the high standards and demands held by Robert L. Howard continue through men like yourself, and thus his expectations and life continue through men like you. This is the path of warriors; and following in the footsteps of or serving along side warriors who lead the way.

Thus the path never ends and insures a continious life.

Thanks for sharing part of yours.

EDIT: Excuse me: Colonel Robert L. Howard.

Last edited by Sarski; 02-09-2012 at 23:36.
Old 12-03-2013, 15:20   #73
mariley85
Asset

My uncle was a friend of the late Col. Howard, and approved of this piece I showed him.

Rest in peace, Colonel.

http://www.dmagazine.com/Home/D_Maga...ican_Hero.aspx
mariley85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 16:25   #74
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

From that piece:

"The name Robert Lewis Howard belongs beside George Washington, John Paul Jones, Chesty Puller, Alvin York, and Audie Murphy, to name a few of the greatest."

Shoulda read "The name Robert Lewis Howard belongs at the top of a list which includes George Washington, John Paul Jones, Chesty Puller, Alvin York, and Audie Murphy, to name a few of the greatest."

It's always amazed me that no authorized bio's been written for Bad Bob.

Number one greatest Warrior in history...
Old 12-03-2013, 18:22   #75
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Number one greatest Warrior in history...
I dunno, Audie Murphy and Alvin York and a few others are right up there too.
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote