Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18F

Old 09-02-2009, 20:51   #1
exsquid
Quiet Professional

When did O&I go away?

When did O&I get split in to seperate ANCOC and 18F courses?

x/S
Old 09-03-2009, 05:39   #2
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

I went to the second to last regular O&I Class. They were pumping all of us guys thru. The ones who already had ANOC. I want to say 1997. After that ANOC and O&I were combined into one long course
Old 09-03-2009, 07:48   #3
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoerz View Post
I went to the second to last regular O&I Class. They were pumping all of us guys thru. The ones who already had ANOC. I want to say 1997. After that ANOC and O&I were combined into one long course
Emphasis on Looong.....

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 19:02   #4
exsquid
Quiet Professional

Let me get this straight, O&I and ANCOC started out as seperate, then they were combined for a while, then (now) they are seperate again with O&I being morphed in to 18F. Man this is as confusing as verifying a VN era guy's QP status.

x/S
Old 09-03-2009, 19:16   #5
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoerz View Post
Cherry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exsquid View Post
Let me get this straight, O&I and ANCOC started out as seperate, then they were combined for a while, then (now) they are seperate again with O&I being morphed in to 18F. Man this is as confusing as verifying a VN era guy's QP status.

x/S
Yes they were seperate, then they combined. And yes it's confusing.I'm sure someone will come along and offer some SF O&I "history".
Old 09-07-2009, 17:53   #6
rltipton

I don't remember exactly when they combined into the long ass course, but it was not too long before my class started in fall 1995 because we started in the old buildings on Son Tay and finished in the SOAF. We were not awarded the MOS 18F, we were just given an ASI "F" which later hosed a lot of guys and made us have to go back through the new SFISC to stay an 18F. I went through (I think) the 3rd class of SFISC in...hmm 2004? The fall after the Iraq invasion whichever year that was. A lot of the stuff was the same old shit (OB, OPORDS, Photography) but some of the computer stuff they have now is truly incredible in the hands of a good 18F.
Old 04-21-2010, 17:21   #7
Green Light
Quiet Professional

I hope this thread isn't too "aged" to put something on it.

In 91 - 95 I was the Ops/Intel Development Officer at the DOTD, SWC. O&I School had traditionally been the "SF NCO Advanced Course" for the guys ever since I'd been on a team. But in the 94/95 era, the SF NCO Academy wanted to own everything that was SF NCO.

I was tasked to do a study on the pros/cons of combining them at the NCO academy. These were the major points that I brought up:

1. Combining the two courses would make an incredibly long course. These two schools together would span possibly two deployment cycles and these guys were needed on teams.

2. O&I was able to keep the standards high for the course. If an NCO flunked out, it wasn't a career killer. But if a guy went to the combined course and boloed, he would be an ANCOC no-go and his career would be over. We felt that the course would be watered down to keep people from being put out of the army.

3. O&I at that time had become an MOS producing school. There was no mechanism for ANCOC to produce an MOS qualification.

4. A good many of the tasks that were taught by O&I were "owned" by SWC. If these tasks were transfered over to ANCOC, the Sergeants Major Academy would be the proponent school for them. That meant that SWC would have to ask permission before upgrading or teaching a new task - a horrible bowl of spaghetti in army schools.

When it was time to pitch the brief to Gen Schacknow, the NCO Academy CSM. the SWC CSM, the SWTG CSM, and 2nd Bn CSM all showed up to pitch their side. Their pitch was "this is NCO business, the NCO Academy does NCO business and we want it!"

Gen Shacknow saw that the entire NCO chain was demanding it (along with a Son Tay raider and a former USAIMA CSM they brought along for good measure) and checked Course of Action 2 (NCO Academy). But to his credit, he wrote on the last page "If we've done something dumb here, let me know soonest."

We tried to keep it as two separate courses but the stars were aligned against us. I believe what we felt was going to happen, did. The course became too long, there were problems with 18F, and let's face it - not everyone is cut out for O&I School.

But that's the sorry history behind it. Bottom line: the guys who originally designed a separate course back in the day of the dinosaur knew what they were doing and a CSM who'd never been anywhere or done anything (came into SF as a senior E-7) tried to change what was a pretty good, if imperfect system.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.
Green Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:40   #8
Guy
Quiet Professional

LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Light View Post
But that's the sorry history behind it. Bottom line: the guys who originally designed a separate course back in the day of the dinosaur knew what they were doing and a CSM who'd never been anywhere or done anything (came into SF as a senior E-7) tried to change what was a pretty good, if imperfect system.
Back to your regularly scheduled thread.
You must be talking about Bone and his clones?!?!

Stay safe.

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:42   #9
Green Light
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
You must be talking about Bone and his clones?!?!

Stay safe.
It was one of his clones. The CSM was from 1st Group. He and I didn't see eye to eye. One day he addressed me as "chief" so I answered him as "Sarge". It was fun to watch him swallow his tongue.

Old "Henry D." was CSM of 2/7. I went in for a command and staff one day. He noticed that my beret didn't have a liner in it. He said "Sir, the regulation states that the beret will be worn as issued." I retorted "Sergeant Major, your S-4 didn't have any berets to issue me. That's mine, so mind your own business." I never liked senior NCOs who played chicken s*** games or, as he did, pick on sergeants just because he could. He made soldiers stand guard mount in combat in Panama at the SFOB. Holy cow, he had no idea what we were all about.

There were too many Bone Clones running around. They got in the way of doing real business.
Old 04-22-2010, 16:09   #10
MVP
Quiet Professional

Before Bone

Bone was not the first, my favorite was Ivan. Ivan once complained to the Tng Gp CSM that I as 1SG D/3/1 TNG was wearing square-toed boots, CSM told him I was from 10th, the boots were issued and he didn't have a problem with it.

MVP
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 16:41   #11
Green Light
Quiet Professional

Yeah, Ivan was one of the guys in the meeting. I don't think he could even spell O&I.

"If it neither breaks my leg nor picks my pocket, what difference does it make to me?"
TJ
Old 10-13-2010, 05:27   #12
Green Light
Quiet Professional

I knew Ben Peets pretty well. He used to live across the street from me and we had some long talks. He was a guy with vision - it was good to have some folks with connections getting involved with SF intel stuff. BTW, Ben is in the MI Hall of Fame.

"If it neither breaks my leg nor picks my pocket, what difference does it make to me?"
TJ
Old 10-13-2010, 10:30   #13
Combat Diver
Quiet Professional

I remember the long course starting in 94ish as I went thru a seperate O&I class since I already had ANCOC which was Jan-Mar 95.

CD
Combat Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:09   #14
rdret1
Quiet Professional

Mar - Jun '87. I stayed with my in-laws the whole time to save a little money. It about drove me and them crazy. I had a lot of fun in the course though and learned a lot.

~ Paul Brunton (1898-1981)

R.D. Winters
rdret1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 18:04   #15
18C4V
Quiet Professional

I think 2002/2003 was when they changed over. I went to ANCOC in 03 and it was by then separated even though they taught some O&I in our class. I was told that our class was the last class with the 35 mm camera.

Our old Fox went to ANCOC in 2002 and that's how he got the O&I portion and MOS.
18C4V is offline   Reply With Quote