Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18F

Old 02-20-2014, 21:13   #1
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Social Network Analysis for Startups (beginners)

Social Network Analysis for Startups: Finding connections on the social web
By Maksim Tsvetovat and Alexander Kouznetsov

http://books.google.com/books?id=Tn-...ed=0CBoQ6AEwBQ

https://github.com/maksim2042/SNABook

This book is well thought out and is useful both as an overview of network analysis and as a practical application of Social Networks' Analysis methodology. Great book covering introduction of Social Network Analysis in very simple language. Book not only talks methodology but also give hands on practice sessions on the concepts using Python code. Which I don't have a great understanding on and wished the Authors used NetworkX or some kind of AnB chart linkage chart or other diagram to show the code. But if you understand how to tweek Twitter API, then you will grasp the Python code. But the overall book is extremely detailed and nicely done in the principles for conducting social network analysis (SNA). The applications are tangible and well-explained for beginners. There is a learning involved in this analysis field, but it's worth the persistence in learning. The one "thing" I like about this book is it opens your thinking that SNA isn't just about Facebook or Twitter, it's about how people are a network and how they tie together. Book covers how to recognize online com- munities, and study the anatomy of those social communities and how they use a viral video or get a flashmob going or planned. If you see a need for looking at social media networks, then I say you should look at this book.

Okay so I liked this first book so will started reading the follow up book:

Mining the Social Web: Data Mining Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, GitHub, and More
Matthew A. Russell

http://ftp.newtek.com/pub/reads/Mini...atthew%20A.pdf

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 18:41   #2
Penn
Area Commander

Quote:
Required reading at WBS, worth every penny...
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 19:26   #3
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
Required reading at WBS, worth every penny...
Warwick Business School (WBS)??

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
Old 03-07-2014, 06:47   #4
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

I thought I would throw this in here. I guess you call this a blog about SNA. Has a lot of different links on Social Network Analysis and marketing.

http://www.scoop.it/t/influence-et-contagion

Got to put your out of the box thinking hat on. I know so many are use to your door kicking helmets of late. Article cover ways of looking at use of SNA, now think about the same in UW, IW, and AW and conducting analysis. You RFI/RFS for your IPB/IPOE analysis.

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 03-30-2014, 14:11   #5
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Mapping Twitter Topic Networks: From Polarized Crowds to Community Clusters

http://www.pewinternet.org/2014/02/2...nity-clusters/

A very In-depth read on SM analytical tool sets NodeXL on research methods and strategy of use by analysis. It's a long read, but when you're trying to analyze the environment, this gives you a really good outlook of looking at social media in the Twitter world.

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 03-31-2014, 11:07   #6
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
Warwick Business School (WBS)??
I think he probably means the Wharton School??? Just a guess...

Quote:
Thanks for that post, BTW. I will certainly be checking this out. The thread probably should be entitled "SNA/HUMINT for Dummys" though.

Last edited by Trapper John; 03-31-2014 at 11:10.
Trapper John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 18:59   #7
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

The Potential of Social Network Analysis in Intelligence

http://www.e-ir.info/2014/01/09/the-...-intelligence/

I know I have posted this before over SM and analyzing it. I was shocked how an SSG 35F and many others didn't see the need to analysis SM nor even have a "Profile."

The most obvious use of SNA is its ability to identify key actors and entities within a network. Yet just as with any database, like M3, you have to be able to reduce a network representing your, say Twitter network. You can turn out 3000+ nodes and 50,000+ links from just a small population with maybe 20+ influential individuals within that Twitter network. With so many wanting the Center of Gravities (COG), SNA can provide another picture for commanders and event play into the PMESII-PT and ASCOPE.

Now FYSA I NEVER, never, EVER use my own "Profiles" or pages to look into different places and the SM Environments. Just saying.

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 03-31-2014, 19:06   #8
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper John View Post
I think he probably means the Wharton School??? Just a guess...

Thanks for that post, BTW. I will certainly be checking this out. The thread probably should be entitled "SNA/HUMINT for Dummys" though.
JT,

If you only know.. That my friend is the other side. I'm happy that some people are seeing that is a realm of possibilities.

Also the MISC (PSYOPS) are starting up a "new" section/element call Social Media Analysis and Research Teams (SMART). If they do these up as regional "desk" they would be better focus because most countries have their own versions of Facebook or Twitter.

COLONEL BULL SIMONS