Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Hunting & Fishing > Fur

Old 12-26-2017, 09:04   #1
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Thumbs up Former GB, now Chief of Police and "Urban Hunter"

Thought this was a pretty interesting story-
Former SF guy turns police chief of small town. Notices "pest problem" (skunks, trash pandas etc...) and starts a small business to eradicate same.

Fast forward -
Now hunting coyotes in urban areas for $100 a PELT! Not a bad side gig!

SF Guy turns "Urban Hunter"

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:13   #2
Sohei
Area Commander

Coyotes are seriously becoming a problem for a lot of places. A couple years ago, hey were so bad in our area that the local government began bidding out "urban hunters" for the job of killing them. The process took forever due to the locals fighting it and wanting to do the job themselves rather than use tax dollars. In the end, the locals won out and were allowed to do the job themselves. It took a little over a year to get the job done once they were authorized to do so. The coyotes were killing the dogs, cats, and destroyed the rabbit population. They were even going after farmer's calves and smaller cattle. They are out-of-control.

I remember a while back there was a show on the history channel or one like it about a group of men that were urban hunters who were hunting deer and elk that were roaming in neighborhoods and causing problems. It's interesting to see how "nature" is becoming urban now and the two are having problems.

By the way, I also liked his personalized license plate on his truck....
Sohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:10   #3
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5US View Post
Thought this was a pretty interesting story-
Former SF guy turns police chief of small town. Notices "pest problem" (skunks, trash pandas etc...) and starts a small business to eradicate same.

Fast forward -
Now hunting coyotes in urban areas for $100 a PELT! Not a bad side gig!

SF Guy turns "Urban Hunter"
I'll take coyotes over cats everyday. In the Phoenix area we have 250k feral cats and the coyotes are the only thing keeping them in check.......
Old 12-26-2017, 10:20   #4
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
I'll take coyotes over cats everyday. In the Phoenix area we have 250k feral cats and the coyotes are the only thing keeping them in check.......
Sounds like you need more old woman transplants from South Florida out your way to be crazy cat ladies

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:45   #5
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Sounds like you need more old woman transplants from South Florida out your way to be crazy cat ladies
The Valley of the Sun has more stupid old people than Florida, where do you think the feral cats are coming from? Trust me there are more feral cats being fed on a daily basis then homeless people.

And I like coyotes, they eat those little dogs too. Love hearing the old fart saying her little dog was eaten by a mean coyote. Even better when its “downtown”.

Poor sheep farmers........... what happened to guns and tending your herd? Oh Communist Calif...... you know where you can find my sympathy.
Old 12-26-2017, 20:35   #6
sfshooter
Quiet Professional

Up here where I live they have state hunters that will use helicopters and airplanes from time to time for coyotes. Most people around here shoot them anytime the opportunity presents itself. Seen five last Saturday when we were elk hunting....fortunately for them we were elk hunting. There are a bunch around this year. A local trapper has already got 9 of them. There are some smaller towns around that have coyote derbies. The hunter or team with the most coyotes wins the prize money.
Another problem, that affects the elk herds for sure, are wolves. They are getting quite numerous. You can buy a tag for them and hunt them but they are somewhat more cunning than a coyote. Think I will get a tag (over the counter purchase) for next year. We seen a wolf track on that same elk hunt Saturday. I've been told that there is a pack (6 or so) running about 15 miles west of my location and we've had them come through here spooking the hell out of cattle in the recent past.
I used to see feral cats but not so much anymore. Any that I've seen lately have been fairly close to peoples ranch houses.
A predator is a predator around here and not counting the wolf they are fair game with no special license or tag required and can be hunted year round. That includes red fox and badgers.

"I ask you sir, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people........" George Mason
sfshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:27   #7
rsdengler
Area Commander

Quote:
LOL...I'll send my sister out his way, she's not really old but she definitely is a "cat lady"....13 cats and counting (she brings in strays).....She can just open up a "Stray Cat Ranch".....

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
rsdengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 21:02   #8
mojaveman
Area Commander

Quote:
Coyotes are seriously becoming a problem for a lot of places.
Agree. The area where I grew up is hilly and contains a lot of brush, perfect coyote country. Now there are many homes there but the yodelers haven't gone away, in fact, they are thriving. There are a lot of rabbits, squirrels, garbage cans and small pets to feed on.

What has really become a problem though are mountain lion. There are some even larger hills only a few miles away and that is where they live and breed. At night they run through the neighborhoods and look for stuff to eat. A number of people here have caught them on camera and the big cats also like to eat small domestic animals.

Last edited by mojaveman; 12-27-2017 at 21:04.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:37   #9
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Whenever I am out hunting birds, pigs whatever, I always have my .22-250 in the truck for coyotes...
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:27   #10
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Agreed.

We don’t have coyotes in NZ.

But we’ve got a big feral cat problem.

I’ve shot a few in rough hilly country only easily accessible by helo.

They seem to require .223 to go down decisively, resilient little buggers.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:46   #11
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
Agreed.

We don’t have coyotes in NZ.

But we’ve got a big feral cat problem.

I’ve shot a few in rough hilly country only easily accessible by helo.

They seem to require .223 to go down decisively, resilient little buggers.

Just say the word and we will send you some two or four legged coyotes!