Old 04-22-2006, 15:32   #1
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

MOS Book

Hey this is a break down of a book I started while I was a 12B Combat Engineer Sd Ldr. It branched off from my leaders book. I took a lot of the info into it and just start to add to it.

Really every MOS can do the same thing for them. I had a 18E do up these Great "Radio" booklet in the aviator book for every radio that we used at the time and any we ran into. Sometimes you use other services radios. I still have that book today, and add it to.

I'll just break down what is inside of it. Its a 3" 3-ring binder, I have Diskette and CD/DVD holder selves. Its all tabbed out with sub-tabs too.

1. Copy of Current PBO hand receipt.

I'm glad I keep this, I used it to make a copy for a Logistical/Supply lesson that the 18C course teaches for the S-4 part. But I guess now the Committee got rid of that block (1-day) for other more needed training. Hey 18C's you/we don't need to know S-4 Stuff to Regs for getting supply items right. Its all OJT right.

I have this PBO HR here because you just need this book all the time. Its good to keep your updated HR on your all the time. I also I a CD for my Deploy program for make records of everything.

Just like every 18C, you have your TM Hand Reciept Book to track everything. Keep in mind I deploy with this book.

2. Demo information: I have this section broke in to these section.

a. Time fuse burn rate sheet for English and Metric.
b. Demo Shot "cards" Word Document for my last "100 ranges". About 15 packages here - The good ones.
c. Training concept documents for training that I wanted to get Command Approval on. High Risk training or Deploy For Training (DFT) memos. CD Copy too
d. Foreign Data Sheet of explosives I've found down range.
e. Copy of my Computer programs for Demo - CAL PLACE formulas to Shot Cards.

3. SOMRAD Booklet Print out in color - New updated in 2004 by EODTD (RSA).
a. Along with a CD copy with Advanced Explosive Ordnance Disposal Publication System
b. EOD Tactical Decision Aids (TDA) program for safe standoff.
c. INERT Training NSN list from a CTA.

4. TO Section
a. Excepts from the DOD 6055.9-STD on Construction for ASPs and separation distance of Maginzes.
b. Blue print from Pappy Base Camp booklet and FM.
c. Print out of the HESCO Constrainers sizes
d. Blue prints for basic buildings

5. DODIC list. Just about every DODIC I've used and may use.

6. 18C SF Mission planning booklet. Handout from the 18C course.

7. Handouts from just about every course I've been to.

8. Excepts from FM 5-34, the things I really use.

9. Air Resupply print out for bundles to 463L Pallets from various FM(57-220)/TM from many different services and countries.
a. Air Loader planner course information. Course examples,ETC.
b.HAZMAT information. -2 examples

10. Army NSN sheets.
a. General Equipment list (Eng., Office supply, Weapon stuff, Computer, GSA info.
b. Medical Supplies

11. POC and Business card section.

12. Internet Links sheet. This just has the Http Link "names"

Something for new 18C to think about. Along with other MOS.

I try to keep it Clean -OPSEC wise.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”

Last edited by MtnGoat; 05-04-2006 at 13:04.
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 19:22   #2
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat
Really every MOS can do the same thing for them. .
Yep. Still have all the ones I created. Of course my sections are a little different that those that you list, but the concept is the same.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:02   #3
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

BUMP

Wondering if any other MOS have a book that they started for their MOS?

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
Old 08-09-2011, 22:27   #4
LeapingGnome
Quiet Professional

Location: Roaming through the earth and going back and forth in it
18D MOS book

Yup. I have been compiling it since I was in SFMS. SurgicalCric and I actually spent many a night and weekend creating carved down disease smart cards to laminate and put into the SOF Medic handbook. From there I have been gathering an electronic horde of 18D related info including "cheat sheets", PDF versions of books(Where There is No Doctor/Dentist, War Surgery, etc) and other resources. Every once in a while when I am feeling like an uber-geek I will sit down and cull through them. I have been sorting them recently and moving a lot of it to the iPad. The GoodReader App makes it easy to have all that information in one place, including SF-600's, anatomy, reference, diagnostics, dermatology guides. In hard copy it would take up an entire tuff box.

I also have an evolving Excel spreadsheet with packing lists for various aid-bags(Mounted/Dismounted, DA, sick call, etc). That way, no matter what bag I am carrying a particular kit in I don't forget anything because it is in a different place in that particular bag and eases RFS and 1750 creation. I include notes to myself about why I included a particular item as well as items I carry to test out. The rationale behind the spreadsheet and notes is that I can answer the "why" questions from my junior and other medics with certainty(i.e. when I used X on a specific patient it did Y so I switched to product Z which performed much better). In the Stan when a trauma patient was brought into the FOB clinic I worked out of my mounted or dismounted aid bag so that I could try out various configurations and see what worked and what didn't. If I needed something that wasn't in the bag I could just go to the shelves and grab it and make a mental note to include it in the bag. It also let me side by side "test drive" different brands and styles of med stuff(I got that tip from reading some of SS's posts).

The master plan includes packing/set up lists to convert a few spare large pelican cases into purpose built kits. For example a surgery box with everything bolted in and secured including O2 bottle, IV pole, sterilizing reservoir, etc to pop open and be able to perform minor surgery. A dental box with a camp chair, tool tray, etc. I have never liked the multi-pocket screw in rolls that come with the TACSET and have been tweaking and tinkering for a while now. I know other 18D's have done similar tweaks, and if anyone has any tips or pics I would love to pick your brain about what worked and what didn't.

I also snagged all of your 18C info to pass along to our 18C. Great stuff.

An Army of sheep, led by a lion is more to be feared than an Army of lions led by a sheep
-Alexander the Great
LeapingGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 20:07   #5
Jgood
Quiet Professional

Currentlly working on one hope to do some refinements downrange soon for 18B.

Been spending alot of time developing a range book that would allow me to run any range on bragg with POIs and proper paper work and such.The goal is to make it so any body on the team can grab the book set upthe range order the right ammont of ammo and use the POIs round by round.

always looking for good POIs for ALL ranges PM me if you have any you would like to share

GP
There is only one tactical principal which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.
Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.
Jgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 21:18   #6
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgood View Post
Currentlly working on one hope to do some refinements downrange soon for 18B.

Been spending alot of time developing a range book that would allow me to run any range on bragg with POIs and proper paper work and such.The goal is to make it so any body on the team can grab the book set upthe range order the right ammont of ammo and use the POIs round by round.

always looking for good POIs for ALL ranges PM me if you have any you would like to share

GP
JP - Great idea.. post what you have in 18B section for other knuckle draggers. I like the range book idea for the ODA. Bragg and their OPORDs for Range suck!!

Section books helped me out when I was a 18C when I had MOS gone to schools when I was stationed at Carson. Bragg has it easy and screws guys over at times. "Hey when your done with class come to the TM Room and lay your section out. I don't know the Med Tac Set. Got to just love those Txt or VMs!!

I will say this - IMHO It is every SF guy JOB or ability to run a range. Not just the 18Bs on a Team. IMHO the whole team should look at the year Ammo/Demo request at all possible. The 18B does the 90 day with each section and the 30 day too. But simple up drill firing, zero & qual, Machine Guns, CMMS, APM style ranges. That is Every SF guy job to know them. For me if it's MTOE weapons, then as a SF Guy you should know them back to front ETC ETC. We are to teach others how to shoot. If you can't teach your own Team or American at Home station how in hell will you do it down range. What do you do down range when you have 300 to 500 LN or HN soldiers to train? Cell phone your 18B's on how to do it?? What do I need Dave for this range again? ETC

Demo is 18C range and Mortar and Heavy AT Wpns is 18B. But everyone can go to SFSC (SOTIC) and SFARTAETC. So why can't they run a range?

I think I just Hijacked my own thread??!!? LOL

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Last edited by MtnGoat; 08-10-2011 at 22:05.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:55   #7
Mike792
Quiet Professional

I agree 100%

There really is a GOD. Thank you for the Post MTN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
JP - Great idea.. post what you have in 18B section for other knuckle draggers. I like the range book idea for the ODA. Bragg and their OPORDs for Range suck!!

Section books helped me out when I was a 18C when I had MOS gone to schools when I was stationed at Carson. Bragg has it easy and screws guys over at times. "Hey when your done with class come to the TM Room and lay your section out. I don't know the Med Tac Set. Got to just love those Txt or VMs!!

I will say this - IMHO It is every SF guy JOB or ability to run a range. Not just the 18Bs on a Team. IMHO the whole team should look at the year Ammo/Demo request at all possible. The 18B does the 90 day with each section and the 30 day too. But simple up drill firing, zero & qual, Machine Guns, CMMS, APM style ranges. That is Every SF guy job to know them. For me if it's MTOE weapons, then as a SF Guy you should know them back to front ETC ETC. We are to teach others how to shoot. If you can't teach your own Team or American at Home station how in hell will you do it down range. What do you do down range when you have 300 to 500 LN or HN soldiers to train? Cell phone your 18B's on how to do it?? What do I need Dave for this range again? ETC

Demo is 18C range and Mortar and Heavy AT Wpns is 18B. But everyone can go to SFSC (SOTIC) and SFARTAETC. So why can't they run a range?

I think I just Hijacked my own thread??!!? LOL

Mike
Mike792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:33   #8
Mike792
Quiet Professional

Need A Favor

Does any 18 C's have a current list for their Basic Demo Tool Kit and Breaching Bag? They would be willing to share. My reference material is out dated. Tried the search button. Thanks

Mike
Mike792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:03   #9
cowboykpy
Quiet Professional

PM inbound

I've got the new demo kits on my property book, I'll see what I can find.

"We are now engaged in a great...War, testing whether this nation or any nation so conceived and so dedicated can long endure."

Abraham Lincoln at Gettysburg

"When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
scabbard."
- General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson
cowboykpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 23:19   #10
Mills
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
BUMP

Wondering if any other MOS have a book that they started for their MOS?

I have a pretty good 18C one that I have been adding to over the past two years. Still looking to add some more things, after reading what you have, I think I am going to steal some of your ideas for additional resources to go in my "go to" book. Honestly, some of the most useful things in the book include the DODIC's for demo/ammo, along with the nomenclature and a description of each item, and my breaching cheat sheet that give me basic calculations and MSD's. I haven't been using that sheet as much anymore, due to having a neato app on my droid phone that does all of that for me (and before you guys ask, yes I have QA/QC'd it through numerous 18C's.......haha)

That radio book would be great to have, as commo is a very perishable skill.
Mills is offline   Reply With Quote