Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 10-07-2015, 10:49   #16
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF18C View Post
I wanna be a SECRET Agent!
Two words = Wolfgang Hammersmith

(I think he's the new director of the CIA)
Old 10-07-2015, 11:11   #17
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver View Post
Be careful what you wish for ....

From what I understand, to become a SECRET Agent they give you a number and take away your name.
We're all just numbers anyway, and someday your number's up.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:40   #18
lindy
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire View Post
IIRC, there are several members and QP's here who are federal agencies: air marshal, US marshal, border patrol, etc. What are your take on these agencies?
Hypothetically speaking, if one makes it to the last hiring step and is asked which one one would choose (have to disclose other applications), how would you compare them. I have perused each jurisdiction, mission, history, etc. Perhaps you would share your experience from personally interacting with each. Thanks in advance.

- The Bureau Intel analyst
I don't know anything about the SA jobs but the FBI 0132-series that I've worked with aren't too satisfied and most are looking for greener pastures.

I've heard GREAT things about 0132's at DEA and USMS (especially within TOG). As far as the 3 letter agencies, it seems the bureaucracy and outside hiring of managers post-9/11 is taking its toll but DOE and DOT seem like good places to work.

Absolutely avoid intel within TSA: that place is a soup sandwich.

"There are times in your life you'll be required to perform an exceedingly difficult task to the best of your ability, regardless of your perceived capability. Mental toughness is what will carry the day during these times. In other words, you suck it up and do what you have to do." - Razor
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 22:40   #19
frostfire
Area Commander

city recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
In regards to being a SA in the above listed agencies. I would say FBI. If you want to travel and work at embassy's and baby sit diplomats DSS. Both have their good and bad sides as does everything in life.

The FBI really takes care of their SAs better than any other agency.

Intel is also a good gig and is a rewarding job. Out of all the above agencies FBI would be my recommendation.

Oh I am not FBI..... One of the others listed above. I love my work but it has it's ups and downs and for someone starting out I would recommend what I did.

Good luck if you are applying.

Well, it took me 7 years with 2 degrees and careers to get US citizenship, then another 3 years to finish branch obligation before being able to submit 4187 for selection, then only took seconds for a branch chief to make sure I would never attend selection, and by God's grace alone, after another degree and 2 careers and 8 years of failing forward I made it into FLEO.

For the BTDT, in which of the cities below would you work and live in today's hyper polarized American society? I know the choices are not ideal. I wished Idaho or Utah are in the list but no dice. Thus after researching cost of living, affirmative action, sales tax, and income tax, I figure I solicit some inputs here. Always appreciate ya'll perspectives

Chicago
New York City
Miami
Washington DC
Boston
Houston
Los Angeles
San Francisco

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 02:56   #20
glebo
Quiet Professional

I'd say Boston, just because I've not heard much about stupid crap happening there...unless it's not reported. Yes, it is the land of Massholes and expensive, but maybe the lesser of the evils...

You may as well throw a dart at a map, probably have better luck at selecting...

Good luck..
Old 07-12-2021, 07:36   #21
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire View Post
Well, it took me 7 years with 2 degrees and careers to get US citizenship, then another 3 years to finish branch obligation before being able to submit 4187 for selection, then only took seconds for a branch chief to make sure I would never attend selection, and by God's grace alone, after another degree and 2 careers and 8 years of failing forward I made it into FLEO.

For the BTDT, in which of the cities below would you work and live in today's hyper polarized American society? I know the choices are not ideal. I wished Idaho or Utah are in the list but no dice. Thus after researching cost of living, affirmative action, sales tax, and income tax, I figure I solicit some inputs here. Always appreciate ya'll perspectives

Chicago
New York City
Miami
Washington DC
Boston
Houston
Los Angeles
San Francisco
1st. This depends on which FLEO your in.

2nd for my choices I would put my top 3 in this order with the options you listed:
Miami
Houston
Boston

Under no way I would go to CA or NY.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 10:09   #22
mark46th
Quiet Professional

I have been to Boston. I could see where I wanted to get to 4 blocks away but still couldn't get there...
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote