Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 10-05-2015, 11:52   #1
frostfire
Area Commander

Employment at federal agencies

IIRC, there are several members and QP's here who are federal agencies: air marshal, US marshal, border patrol, etc. What are your take on these agencies?
Hypothetically speaking, if one makes it to the last hiring step and is asked which one one would choose (have to disclose other applications), how would you compare them. I have perused each jurisdiction, mission, history, etc. Perhaps you would share your experience from personally interacting with each. Thanks in advance.

- The Bureau Special Agent

- The Bureau Intel analyst

- Secret Service Special Agent

- Diplomatic Security Service Special Agent

- DEA Special Agent

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 14:50   #2
JSMosby
Quiet Professional

Total derailment, but I read your post and Charley Daniels jumped into my head...

"You may not know it, but this man's a spy! He's an undercover agent for the FBI, and he's been sent down here to infiltrate the ku klux klan."

Who is John Galt?

Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
JSMosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 18:28   #3
2018commo
Quiet Professional

Can't help you with the LE Agencies, but stay away from IMCOM, one big self licking popcicle.

Jump Street Never Ends

“There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go, no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone”

"Draw unto others as they have been drawn to you"
2018commo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 20:07   #4
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSMosby View Post
Total derailment, but I read your post and Charley Daniels jumped into my head...

"You may not know it, but this man's a spy! He's an undercover agent for the FBI, and he's been sent down here to infiltrate the ku klux klan."
I was thinking about Green Teeth just the other day
You know, he probably doesn't have a garage....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=952h-AJ3Bcg

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart

Last edited by Golf1echo; 10-05-2015 at 20:20.
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 21:47   #5
Bleed Green
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire View Post
Perhaps you would share your experience from personally interacting with each. Thanks in advance.
Feel free to ping me on e-mail Frost if I can answer any of your questions. I have 30 and a half years of BP time and have worked with a lot of other agencies as well as worked TDY for a couple of strange ones.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:20   #6
TFA303
Auxiliary

If you're working in a org that has special agents, analysts are very much second-class citizens. That's not to say that there aren't ever SA's that value the analysts' contributions, but it's structured that you're not the focus of the organization (which is appropriate). Some folks don't mind, for others, it's a big deterrent to job satisfaction, so it's important to know that going in.
TFA303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 13:06   #7
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

special agents (stop, you're cracking me up)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFA303 View Post
If you're working in a org that has special agents, analysts are very much second-class citizens. That's not to say that there aren't ever SA's that value the analysts' contributions, but it's structured that you're not the focus of the organization (which is appropriate). Some folks don't mind, for others, it's a big deterrent to job satisfaction, so it's important to know that going in.
And where are all the regular agents?

I'd probably choke to death laughing if someone referred to themselves as a "special agent".
Old 10-06-2015, 13:08   #8
Bleed Green
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post

I'd probably choke to death laughing if someone referred to themselves as a "special agent".
I usually think of Dana Carvey and the Church Lady skit, but that is just me being warped I imagine.
Old 10-06-2015, 17:30   #9
FlagDayNCO
Guerrilla

Agents

Just about all of them hire quotas no matter what they tell you.

As mentioned, Special Agents look down upon everyone, especially the less capable SA types.

Look at USSS Operations Support Technician. It is one of the few armed positions and they are issued CREDENTIALS the same as SA. Credential book is a BIG deal. Many agencies LEOs aren't at the same level. OST's are assigned to major field offices and special groups. They're the guys that control the weapons, training, you name it. You don't have to deal with the SA elitist mentality and crap work. Very high demand. Pay isn't as good as USSS S/A, but you have more freedom.

Deputy US Marshal is interesting, as long as you stay away from Witness Protection and court security (long term). Their offices have lever action rifles on the wall, Wyatt Earpe photos, etc.

The Cold War didn't end, communism still lives and has come to America.

The Insurgency is going well, especially with the enemy at the table of every branch of our Federal, State, and Local Government.
FlagDayNCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 19:57   #10
frostfire
Area Commander

Thank you for the inputs, gents. I concur on the OST. I believe the qualifications for that is even more specialized than for SA positions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFA303 View Post
I've read about this including criticism in congressional reviews for the two to work better as a team. Good news is I spent a lot of time in active duty doing extra project for my superiors (project improvements, powerpoints, AAR) that made them look like superstars to their bosses. Never had a problem with it. I have learned a ton on quiet professionalism from this board

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 20:57   #11
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire View Post
IIRC, there are several members and QP's here who are federal agencies: air marshal, US marshal, border patrol, etc. What are your take on these agencies?
Hypothetically speaking, if one makes it to the last hiring step and is asked which one one would choose (have to disclose other applications), how would you compare them. I have perused each jurisdiction, mission, history, etc. Perhaps you would share your experience from personally interacting with each. Thanks in advance.

- The Bureau Special Agent

- The Bureau Intel analyst

- Secret Service Special Agent

- Diplomatic Security Service Special Agent

- DEA Special Agent
In regards to being a SA in the above listed agencies. I would say FBI. If you want to travel and work at embassy's and baby sit diplomats DSS. Both have their good and bad sides as does everything in life.

The FBI really takes care of their SAs better than any other agency.

Intel is also a good gig and is a rewarding job. Out of all the above agencies FBI would be my recommendation.

Oh I am not FBI..... One of the others listed above. I love my work but it has it's ups and downs and for someone starting out I would recommend what I did.

Good luck if you are applying.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:54   #12
CW3SF
Quiet Professional

Wow, tons of misinformation and inaccuracies in this thread.

"Special Agent" is an official title. It is in no way an LEO considering themselves above anyone else. That's like someone telling a Master Sergeant that you are in no way a "master".

With FBI or DEA you will have to move around. Factor that into your decision.

WitSec and Court Security are higher pay grade positions that are highly competitive and very sought after. Don't stay away from those in the USMS if you want to advance your career.

In general, the smaller the agency the better the working conditions. Larger agencies mean more complex office politics and more bureaucracy. You may see some idiots "looking down" on other employees, but that is the exception not the rule. And then only because you have that in any field, not because of this profession.

In reality, all of these positions are "extremely" difficult to secure. My advice would be to land any of the above just to get your foot in the door. It's way easier to lateral transfer to the agency of your choice once you are a qualified 1811, than it is to get hired initially.

Good luck.
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:04   #13
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
Wow, tons of misinformation and inaccuracies in this thread.

"Special Agent" is an official title. It is in no way an LEO considering themselves above anyone else. That's like someone telling a Master Sergeant that you are in no way a "master".

With FBI or DEA you will have to move around. Factor that into your decision.

WitSec and Court Security are higher pay grade positions that are highly competitive and very sought after. Don't stay away from those in the USMS if you want to advance your career.

In general, the smaller the agency the better the working conditions. Larger agencies mean more complex office politics and more bureaucracy. You may see some idiots "looking down" on other employees, but that is the exception not the rule. And then only because you have that in any field, not because of this profession.

In reality, all of these positions are "extremely" difficult to secure. My advice would be to land any of the above just to get your foot in the door. It's way easier to lateral transfer to the agency of your choice once you are a qualified 1811, than it is to get hired initially.

Good luck.
So "special agent" is a progression in skill and experience just like Master Sergeant? (cause you don't make Master Sergeant just by passing basic training....)

Having worked closely with DSS, I'd go TSA and become one of their "special agents" first. Less likely to get shot by one of your fellow special agents......
Old 10-07-2015, 10:07   #14
SF18C
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post

I wanna be a SECRET Agent!
"De Oppresso Liber"

Nomination for PS.com Quote of the Decade!
SF18C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:11   #15
Sdiver
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF18C View Post
I wanna be a SECRET Agent!
Be careful what you wish for ....

From what I understand, to become a SECRET Agent they give you a number and take away your name.
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote