Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

View Poll Results: Which positions would you fill, if you had to make the choice?
Maintain current members in an ODA for as long as possible 20 40.82%
Assign current members of an ODA to training billets 29 59.18%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2008, 11:11   #31
Warrior-Mentor
Quiet Professional
 
Warrior-Mentor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: America, the Beautiful
Posts: 3,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basenshukai View Post
It is a choice between short term and long term goals and vision.

Now, I have my own opinion and it is biased since I'm on an ODA. But, which would you choose and why?

A wise man I respect very much once told me:

"When faced with a choice between the short-term and the long-term,
there is no choice."
Warrior-Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:07   #32
uboat509
Quiet Professional
 
uboat509's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: CO
Posts: 333
While I aknowledge the value of having your best guys in the schoolhouse, I personally learned more the teams I was on than I did in the schoolhouse. Instructors can impart some of their knowledge and experience but they have POI that they must adhere to. On a team, the experienced guys can teach what needs to be taught the way it needs to be taught. I was an 18C and when I got to my first team, I discovered that I used probably less than 10% of what I was taught in the 18C course. I did do a lot of the stuff that the instructors told us that we would be doing but that was not in the POI. I am now back in the schoolhouse reclassing to 18D and it is still in a contstant state of flux here. The POI will never change fast enough to meet the current needs of the teams. That's why I think that the teams will need to retain a lot more of the experienced guys, because that is where the most pertinant learning occurs.

SFC W
uboat509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:09   #33
kawika
Auxiliary
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 86
I agree on the teams needed the manning. Now that we are "100% strength" most of that 100% is people right out of the course. Experienced guys are always needed on the teams. There are people getting out by the boatloads. An attractive option is more civlian instructors, although obviously more costly. As long as there is a POI at the end of the day someone whos been through 1-2 deployments or on a team for 2-3 years can teach at the schoolhouse and then get right back to the team afterwards.

The only way to learn combat lessons is by having been there. No amount of schooling or combat experienced instructors will fix that. Those guys need to be on the teams, especially the ones deploying that have like 1-2 guys that have been downrange before.
kawika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 13:46   #34
longrange1947
Quiet Professional
 
longrange1947's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Fayetteville NC
Posts: 3,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawika View Post
........ An attractive option is more civilian instructors, although obviously more costly.........
Actually, as many have found out, a GS-11 instructor makes less than an SFC on active duty in both take home and benefits. So it would be cheaper to go civilian. However you can not go entirely civilian as you need the fresh TTPs and experience to keep the course fresh. To also relate to the student what is occurring at that moment and what they can expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawika View Post
..................The only way to learn combat lessons is by having been there. No amount of schooling or combat experienced instructors will fix that. Those guys need to be on the teams, especially the ones deploying that have like 1-2 guys that have been downrange before.
This is true to a certain degree but combat experiences taught in the classroom will prevent the new guy from making some errors.

Bottom line, the new kids need someone that has been there and done that and give them the feeling of survival. It also gives them an important break from the ODA so they and their family can breathe.

Another 2 cents from the FOG.
__________________
Hold Hard guys

Rick B.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing it is great on a hamburger but not so great sticking one up your ass.

Author - Richard.

Experience is what you get right after you need it.

Author unknown.
longrange1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:56.



Copyright 2004-2026 by Professional Soldiers ®
Site Designed, Maintained, & Hosted by Hilliker Technologies