Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2004, 08:58   #16
rubberneck
Area Commander
 
rubberneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Buckingham, Pa.
Posts: 1,746
Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
Trouble is getting deeper for the Gov every day. Now 2 of the 3 big Dem power brokers in the state want him gone so Corzine can run for Gov.

Frankly, I would rather see Corzine as Governor of NJ and someone a little further to the right in the Senate.

Like Kean.

Best of all worlds would be for Corzine to run for Gov, lose, and have a Repub take his Senate seat.

This is allegedly starting to pull numbers down for other Dems, including Kerry support in NJ.

Fox had a good article on it earlier.

TR
Bite your tounge. NJ is already anti gun enough as is and Corzine is more anti-gun than happy pants is. Besides if Corzine was to run and win the Governorship he would be able to appoint his successor which would be Congressman Mendez who is anything but conservative.
rubberneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 09:04   #17
rubberneck
Area Commander
 
rubberneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Buckingham, Pa.
Posts: 1,746
Quote:
Originally posted by Bravo1-3
Being raised in NJ, I can say this: If Tom Kean runs against Corzine, Corzie will lose big.

Corzine isn't even as popular in NJ as McGreevey currently is.
I couldn't disagree more. Popularity has very little to do with political success in New Jersey. Whoever has the full backing of the Democratic Party machine will win regardless of who the Republicans trot out there. Luckily for the Republicans the Democrats have had a pretty big split between norther and southern democrats for the past decade but they seem to be united behind Corzine.

Also, Corzine is a hell of a lot more popular with NJ voters than McGreevey. I don't know hwere you got that from considering McGreevey's job approval rating has never really got north of 40% and for the most part has hoovered in the mid 20"s whereas Corzine has been in the 50-60% range.

You are right that the Kean name is a powerful one in NJ but there is no way he can raise enough cash between now and November to compete with Corzine who is worth roughly $150 million.
rubberneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 14:38   #18
Penn
Area Commander
 
Penn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,486
Faux Pas

I know this thread is long dead, but in reference to the former governor and the current one, politics aside. Corzine was my next store neighbor for 20 years, our children went to grade and H.S. together in Summit, NJ. He’s a social liberal-financial conservative and a straight shooter. Unlike our former governor, who right before he resigned, visited my restaurant at the beach.

That restaurant (I had two then at the beach) sat 70 and had an open kitchen. The Chef table was right in front of the pass, 4 feet away. At any rate, the press has been screaming all over the tri-state area about his conduct and pending resignation. He had in fact cloistered himself away at the governor’s beach house in Seaside Heights, NJ. So on his first venture out, after the shit storm he created (no pun intended), he enters my restaurant with a party of six on a Saturday night. The place is packed, within two micro seconds its dead silent, escorted to the table across from me, I nod and turn to the range, thinking WTF Over!!!

The restaurant at some point resumes its buzz and I continue to cook, fully aware that at some point I have to go to the table and say hello. I’m thinking, what am I going to say to this guy? Finally, I come around the pass grab a plate and a magic maker, introducing myself, I explain that since the mid 70’s I’ve cooked for every governor and senator from the state and they have all signed plates for me, would he mind? I then notice that the restaurant is dead quite. He signs the plate, and I ever the diplomat say “thank you governor, and it’s nice to see you out and about”. Not realizing the implication of my words or understanding why he immediately ran for the door, I’m startled when one of his guests gets up from table approaches the me and says; “was that necessary”? It then clicks and I say “well at least I didn’t offer the chocolate cake with the molten center”!!! The clients go crazy on hearing all of this, my wife just looked at me with the WTF were you thinking look… we were packed solid after the word spread of that incident.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:34.



Copyright 2004-2026 by Professional Soldiers ®
Site Designed, Maintained, & Hosted by Hilliker Technologies