Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2009, 13:07   #1
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)
 
greenberetTFS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Carriere,Ms.
Posts: 6,922
First Christmas away from home while in the service...........

Augsburg,Germany 1956......... It was Christmas eve and I was determined to not have my dinner on post..... Requested leave that evening and decided to go to a place where I could get a meal and sleep for the night... Found one out side of town and had a wiener schnitzel with a fried egg(?) on the top for dinner... The place was busy and I was the only American in the dining room,however the German people were very kind to me and smiled at me often during my dinner... They had a special event that evening,a choir of little kids about 8 years old up to a maybe 12 years old would stop by to sing some Christmas carols..... When they arrived I listened to several carols however when they broke into Silent Night in German of course, this big tough 18 year old bad ass paratrooper started to have moist eyes and got up quickly to leave the table......It was my first time away from home on Christmas,but of course not my last...... I'll never forget that Christmas for the rest of my life..... Any one else care to share there first Christmas away from home?

Big Teddy
__________________
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII

Last edited by greenberetTFS; 12-11-2009 at 13:28.
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 13:29   #2
Sdiver
Area Commander
 
Sdiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: The Black Hills of SD
Posts: 5,945
Standing in a tower at our site at Northpoint, scanning the sky with my spot light, searching for Santa....and yes, had he landed in our site, I would have opened up on him.

I realized it was worthless to fell sad or sorry for myself. I volunteered for the Army. I volunteered to come to Germany. I volunteered to be on a nuke site (strike 3), so why cry over spilled mike.
__________________
Non Sibi Sed Suis
_____________________________________________
It's Good To Be Da King !!!! Just ask NDD !!!!
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 13:53   #3
lksteve
Quiet Professional
 
lksteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Posts: 2,531
Enlisted 38 years ago, this month, right after Christmas...I swapped CQ Runner with a buddy who was married...spent most of the day in the playing spades with the 1SG (I was his driver) and a couple other guys...spent the next to last Christmas in the Army in Mogadishu...
__________________
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 14:03   #4
mojaveman
Area Commander
 
mojaveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Clay House Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 2,682
My first Christmas away from home was spent at Patch Barracks which is the home of HQUSEUCOM and located in Stuttgart/Vaihingen. It was '81 and I was all of 18 years old. My Platoon Sergeant let me have the 24th off so that afternoon I went downtown to the Weinachtsmarkt on the Schlossplatz to drink some gluwein and listen to Christmas carols being sung in a foreign language. I then went back to the Kaserne and that evening celebrated with some of my cohorts.

I sometimes wish that I could go back in time and do it all over again.

Last edited by mojaveman; 12-11-2009 at 21:59.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 14:14   #5
Richard
Quiet Professional
 
Richard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NorCal
Posts: 15,370
1973 - RTA Camp Nong Takoo - took some ammo boxes and made a fireplace -painted it red and used white to make it look like bricks - placed a small Xmas tree on top and hung an OD sock stuffed with a Playboy magazine - too busy 'working on the railroad' to be too lonely.

Richard
__________________
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 14:33   #6
Streck-Fu
Area Commander
 
Streck-Fu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 2,086
USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71) pier 12 Norfolk preparing for a Dec 26 departure to Desert Shield which became Desert Storm just after we transited the Suez Canal a matter of days later.
I was not 21 yet so no celebratory drinks for me...Those would come 48 days later and then again 45 days later.
__________________
Daniel
GM1 USNR (RET)

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 14:38   #7
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional
 
Ret10Echo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Occupied America....
Posts: 4,740
1985....Wonju Korea. Bitter cold...the chow hall served up a pretty good meal and the Platoon did what platoons do. We were a pretty tight bunch.
__________________
"There are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations"

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 13:56   #8
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional
 
Ambush Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: DFW Texas Area
Posts: 4,741
X-Mas:

1967, NMMI, made it home.

1968, USMA (Woo Poo) made it home and was assigned as the chaperone/escort for Fredrick and Edwin Borman, their dad (our neighbor) was entering Lunar Orbit and would read Scripture from that lofty perch as a part of our Mid-night Christmas Eve Church Service (St. Christopher's Episcopal Church, League City, Texas)!!

1969 Finished the then Phase I of The QC Pipeline and hitched a ride on a westbound Herc out of Pope. The Crew Bus took us from Dyes to the Abilene, Texas Airport and the 6 of us in-filled the facility!! When the Security Guard and Texas International Station Manager opened up, THERE WE WERE!!! We scared the crap out of them. Class A's, Bloused Boots, and Green Beret's (Without Flashes). The Manager GAVE US ALL, ROUND TRIP TICKETS to get home and back (Ya'just Gotta Love Texas!!)!!

1970 RVN, CCC (Kontum). My first Xmas away from home, I still have the Menu from the Huckleberry Inn Mess Hall, and I was just so few weeks away from this: http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...read.php?t=788
__________________
Martin sends.
Ambush Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 14:05   #9
Sdiver
Area Commander
 
Sdiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: The Black Hills of SD
Posts: 5,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush Master View Post
1968, USMA (Woo Poo) made it home and was assigned as the chaperone/escort for Fredrick and Edwin Borman, their dad (our neighbor) was entering Lunar Orbit and would read Scripture from that lofty perch as a part of our Mid-night Christmas Eve Church Service (St. Christopher's Episcopal Church, League City, Texas)!!
I always love reading this story, Martin.

Ohhh to have been a fly on the wall.
__________________
Non Sibi Sed Suis
_____________________________________________
It's Good To Be Da King !!!! Just ask NDD !!!!
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 14:03   #10
XJWoody
Auxiliary
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Carthage
Posts: 94
Ft Riley '85

Being the FNG, I got hung with guard duty @ the squadron motor pool. I recall it was one of those lovely "brass monkey" prairie winter days, also the guard uniform was wearing those old OD parkas & field pants w/ liner (in addition to the LBE & steel pot)

The oddest thing was at the dinner meal, our Division CO came in, and sat down for a meal - with little old me. I remember thinking that was a pretty squared away gesture, but sort of wished the old guy had spent the day with his kids instead... a little hard to relax being a PV1 with a MG sitting across the table.

What I don't recall was any melancholy or homesickness... I was a soldier, and I felt like I was doing what soldiers do. Shortly after the holidays, we went on a winter REFORGER, and then got to spend Thanksgiving '86 in balmy Fort Irwin.

Call me a fool, but I do miss that stuff.

Thank You!! to all our troops serving currently!
XJWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:53   #11
f50lrrp
BANNED USER
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Monterey California
Posts: 392
1st Christmas - 1964

It was my 1st Christmas in the service. I had arrived in Augsburg, Germany from six months TDY to RVN. One of the other guys in my platoon was surprised by his parents who had come to Germany and wanted to take him away for the weekend. The problem was that he had guard duty that night. He offered $250 if anyone would take his guard. I figured that if he wanted to pay it and if I could get away with it (I was a corporal and exempt from GD) that I’d take the money and pull his duty. The guy paid me the money and I began to prepare for guard mount.

As luck would have it I was selected at guard mount as the colonel’s orderly and relieved from duty and sent back to the barracks. Upon arriving back at the barracks, I was asked if I would pull KP for another guy in my platoon. He had a date with his German girl friend and was desperate. I agreed and charged the guy another $250 to pull his duty. I arrived at the mess hall at 0430 hours and discovered that I was the first to get there. That meant that I could chose the job that I wanted. When the mess sergeant arrived an 0445 hours I told him that I would like to be the head count and he gave me the job.

I counted those entering the mess hall for the breakfast meal and at 0700 hours the mess sergeant decided that he had more than enough KP’s and he sent four of us back to the barracks.

That night I took a Taxi (paid for with a Kennedy Half Dollar) to a good German Restaurant and had a Wiener Schnitzel that cost 4 Marks. All in all a great Christmas and profitable as well. ( A private was only being paid $77.10 per month).
f50lrrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:54.



Copyright 2004-2026 by Professional Soldiers ®
Site Designed, Maintained, & Hosted by Hilliker Technologies