View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013, 18:05   #17
ghp95134
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
...[Thorne] joined the SS prior to the invasion of the USSR, ergo the anti Soviet deal doesn't wash....
That is correct, there was a pact with USSR; however, there is a deep history of distrust/resentment between Finland and Russia/USSR. Plus, in 1939 the USSR was playing naughty with Finland. So I think Torni had ample reason to be anti-Soviet.

Briefly from Wiki (yeah, I know...)
Quote:
In 1809, Russia conquered Finland from Sweden in the Finnish War. Finland entered a personal union with the Russian Empire as a grand duchy with extensive autonomy. During the period of Russian rule the country generally prospered. However, in the early 20th century Russia tightened its grip on Finland, causing widespread resentment. When revolution broke out in Russia in 1917, Finland declared independence. In 1918 the Finnish Civil War broke out between the generally right-wing government supporters and left-wing rebels. The war ended with the victory of the government forces, supported by Germany, and the expulsion of Russian troops.

During the inter-war period, the relationship between Finland and the Soviet Union was tense. Some elements in Finland maintained the dream of "Greater Finland" which included the Soviet-controlled part of Karelia. The proximity of the Finnish border to Leningrad (now Saint Petersburg) caused worry in the Soviet leadership.

On 24 August 1939 Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union signed the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact. In a secret clause of the agreement, Finland was part of the Soviet sphere of influence. On 12 October the Soviet Union started negotiations with Finland concerning parts of Finnish territory, Karelian Isthmus, the Gulf of Finland islands and Hanko. No agreement was reached. On 26 November the Soviet Union accused the Finnish army of shelling the village of Mainila. It was subsequently found that the Soviets had in fact shelled their own village to create an excuse to withdraw from their non-aggression pact with Finland. On 30 November the Soviet Union attacked Finland. The attack was judged illegal by the League of Nations and, as a result, the Soviet Union was expelled from that body on 14 December.[1]

source

------------
"And all this science, I don't understand. It's just my job five days a week" -- Rocket Man
ghp95134 is offline   Reply With Quote