View Single Post
Old 05-05-2012, 13:04   #10
Pete
Quiet Professional

August 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
.......Apparently it hadn't changed for you guys since the 50's either....... Didn't you go through in the early 70's?.............

Big Teddy
In August 1974 the Compound contained a number of GP Medium Tents over wood frames set on the large cement slab area. Bunks were a metal bed frame where the springs had been removed and replaced with a plywood slab. Just west of them by the fence was two large classroom tarpaper buildings used as class rooms.

In the back of one was the "kitchen". The "kitchen" was just a room with a stove and two large pots in it. For Breakfast and Supper a detail would remove the main meals from the C Rations, put them in the pots, fill with water and bring to a boil. To serve the class would file through, pick an upside down meal, be handed a hot can and file outside to eat at one of the standup tables. Lunch was a cold C.

We were supposed to have one hot A a week if we were in camp on Sunday Lunch. IIRC we got one hot A in Ph I and one in Ph III.

All the "shacks" were just south of this little area on both sides of the gravel parking lot we'd fall in at for colors in the morning. I remember at least the Office, TAC Shack, Med Shack, Commo, Weapons - and the Conex where the ammo/blanks etc was stored off in the SW corner that was one of the guard posts.

And then there was the little shower/shitter off in the NE corner of the compound. I really don't have too many memories of that other than a cold shower or two that felt damn good at the time.

The camp is really more NE/SW than N/S.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote