View Single Post
Old 12-13-2010, 02:32   #14
jbour13
Area Commander

There are many books, reports, papers and resources. No one book will help you with it all, and all of the books available won't help you at the point you most need it.

Commit time to stop by and learn the local intel guys and who they know. Engage in a dialogue of what you expect of them, and what they should expect of you. Division of labor counts in the current operational environments and realistic expectations are a must.

Learn capabilities, shortcomings and develop an understanding of each other and their disciplines before SHTF. Common language and skills will prevail. I use the same tools as the 18F, and the same methodology. They report from the bottom up, I refine from the top down.

Accept the fact that rank does not equate to experience or level of understanding for an AO. Case in point, I'm the senior in my Bn for intel. I look at Operational level and Strategic Intel and only dip into the tactical where it is needed and to provide guidance and mentorship. My guys are in the weeds and tied to their AOB and ODAs.

I can say that a few here that know me and my guys, will tell you, we will never turn you away, nor will we tell you no.

Lastly, punch those in the face that tell you no. Pat those on the back that say "I don't know, but I'll see what I can do". Trust but verify, and above all else, educate one another on what it is that "YOU" do and how to make it better.

My humble contribution.

"Let the blood of the infantry flow through your veins,or the blood of the infantry will be on your hands."
- GEN John A. Wickham, Jr. speaking on the responsibilities of MI soldiers.
jbour13 is offline   Reply With Quote