View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 06:26   #11
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinT View Post
Just finished reading it. Thought it was a great book with many lessons throughout it, but it left me with the question of how to plan and prepare for every possible contingency. Even more; is it even possible to do so? In the book the officer had the luxury of trial and error, luckily he was only dreaming and was able to modify his plans to avoid in his next confrontation the errors of the previous. In reality from the viewpoint of somebody who doesn't yet have any formal officership experience or education (I'm starting ROTC in the fall) this is an unacceptably costly way to go about planning a mission. I'm glad I have this book and I'm gonna keep these questions in mind throughout my time in the ROTC.
Read it again. (and again, and again, and again, and again) They were a series of dreams. Dreams are just unconscious unconstrained thinking. Dufffer's Drift is literary stealth. To understand it you have to really read it many times. I recommend every years before school starts, at Christmas break, and at the start of summer. 12 more reads between now and commissioning. (Think "wax on, wax off") Sort of why ROTC is four years long, sort of why MSIV roll their eyes at MSI, sort of why PSGs roll their eyes at 2LT. good luck.

Last edited by Dozer523; 06-28-2010 at 21:53.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote