View Single Post
Old 06-13-2009, 14:05   #22
exsquid
Quiet Professional

My $.02. First a little background. I spent 10 yrs in the USN & 3 yrs in the USNR. While in the USNR I contracted for BW. Now I am NG. So, I know a little about how other Services pay & about exploring options.

My EOD buds in the USN get monthly $375 SDAP (Master EOD Tech), $150 or $275 Jump (most @ the $275 rate), $150 Demo, & $215 Dive. Some also get FLPP, and their SRBs are in the $60K max range. SEALs are on par with this. The Navy definitely does a better job of compensating their personnel monetarily.

I loved contracting. I only worked 5 months during a year and made more money than I ever did in the USN. I saw going SF in the NG as a way to advance my career in contracting. The initial plan was to do both similtaneously, live well & prosper. Thing is, once I was back on AD I realized how much I missed the military. I have been Guard bumming ever since & am exploring my options for returning to AD or going AGR because my 20 is within reach.

I love SF & I believe wholeheartedly in our life of service, but once the retirement option is on the table, I am going to need some heavy persuation to continue sacraficing my time away from home. I am still on my first wife, & after all the BS she has tolerated over the years I want her to keep sticking around. I would also like to be around to keep my boy in line once he gets to that point in life where he needs firm supervision. We give & give to our nation. Our nation should give back to us.

X/S