View Single Post
Old 12-31-2013, 18:49   #61
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
FLAGG,

I think many parts of the Tunisian, Egyptian and Syrian Revolutions/Movements could differently be labeled as "offensive" use of SM.

The biggest issue with it is "selling" it as a means of employment. I differently think you could be using it as a form of analyzing what is happen inside a country.

I have pick up the book, thanks for the review.
No worries!

And I agree(from my amateur perspective).

Along the lines of the potential offensive role of SM, I've been reading about SM communication/transmission options that SM depend on in order to work.

Here's an interesting development from the "internet in a suitcase" crowd:

https://commotionwireless.net/blog

Their mesh network wireless router Commotion V1.0 "grumpy Cat" was just released.

And the warning label:

https://commotionwireless.net/unders...-warning-label

So I'm guessing this or something like it might be a potential tool for offensive UW, due to lack of anonymity in this version sounds like it comes with some potentially significant risks. But if used in a future urban slum that is semi-to-non permissive for the regime itself, it could have its uses if conventional/sanctioned networks are shut or present too high a risk of social movement compromise.

But I think some of the greatest opportunities might be for humanitarian response.

What I'd be interested in learning is:

Do cellular/wireless networks(which the vast majority of the planet rely on for communication) maintain resilience in the aftermath of major natural disasters?

If an area is leveled by natural disaster(and having been personally involved with the Christchurch Earthquakes where commercial coms were impacted heavily in the short-term), first response is to conduct recce and establish communication networks as well as other concurrent activity.

Military and law enforcement run their own robust and encrypted communications networks. At FOBs, Retrans stations, patrol bases, vehicle patrols, and foot patrols.

While I'm certainly no 18E, I wonder how hard it would be to parallel a separate public use(but state managed) mesh network capability such as a cellular/wireless mesh router(the battery burn on foot patrols may not make any sense).

Again, I'm not an 18E, but I would think it would be within reason to use robust "off the shelf" systems(language localized) to allow quick and easy viral dissemination.

It could include tools to collect disaster recovery intelligence as well as push disaster response communication disseminated to all cellular/wireless devices with the mesh network.

And throw in some universal device chargers partnered with potable water stations as well maybe like what was seen ad-hoc in response to Hurricane Sandy.

So I wonder if the "role of social media" discussion encompasses the role/use/abuse of the underlying network?

Same? Different? Somewhere in between?
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote