View Single Post
Old 09-24-2010, 11:29   #163
Aubrey
Asset

I have read through this thread a couple of times as I have many of the threads in the Edged Weapons forum where I have been lurking for a while. I followed Mr. Harsey here from a link in his signature line on another forum IIRC. I have learned much here and know that my proper lane is one from which I should read much and post little. However, I'm curious about steels like H-1 that Spyderco is using for their maritime-application knives. It makes perfect sense that for such applications that one may need more than just "stainless" properties, i.e., real corrosion resistance. However, I've noticed that they are using H-1 on their incarnation of the Warrior and on a knife called the Jumpmaster.

My question to Bill, The Reaper, Sal, and other SMEs here is this: What are the pros and cons for using H-1 and similar alloys for general-purpose blades. What would one be giving up in exchange for "rust-proof"?

Many thanks in advance for your feedback and for being gentle with me as a first-time poster on this forum.

this from Spyderco's web page on the Aqua Salt:
"Whether sporting or laboring in saltwater two features rate highly in choosing a fixed blade utility knife, reliable cutting performance and the knife’s ability to remain rust free without maintenance. The knife industry toyed unsuccessfully with non-rusting steels for years until two years ago when Spyderco started manufacturing blades using an alloy called H-1. H1 is precipitation-hardened steel, utilizing .1% nitrogen instead of carbon. Carbon is the component in steel that makes the blade hard and allows it to hold an edge. Carbon also reacts to chloride, making rust. With nitrogen replacing the carbon; hardness and edge retention are realized but nitrogen doesn’t react to chloride so it physically cannot rust. "