View Single Post
Old 09-14-2010, 14:28   #153
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyfox View Post
Mr. Harsey,

Like many people who have posted before me, I am intrigued by the material science and engineering aspects of knife manufacturing. Reading through my texts books and pages in this thread, I'm beginning to realize that I now know much less than previously realized.

After using the search button, I could not find any information located on this website about the matter; I am curious, if metallic glasses (or bulk metallic glasses in particular) have ever been a viable option for knife design?
greyfox,
Often I feel like I don't know enogh to have gotten this far and also ask a couple of good metallurgists, like the one who developed CPM S-30V, to review my writing here to make sure I'm not screwing up.

Haven't yet heard of metallic glasses being used for knifemaking. I know that there are ceramic blades, ruby, obsidian and glass with some modern applications.

If there is anything better than steel for making a knife out of, haven't heard about it yet.

Yes there are materials that get sharper than steel, like obsidian but obsidian has very little resistance to fracture or "toughness'.

Some good ceramics have much more fracture resistance than obsidian but are still subject to catastrophic failure when used hard.

Also of note, any material we use has to be relatively affordable. If something starts costing hundreds (or more) dollars per lb. Then we have another problem.

Some can take a broken glass window and make something that will open an animal and get to the food part. Here is one of mine...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36840_1514524464134_1265124334_1411709_2845360_n.jpg (103.2 KB, 61 views)
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote