View Single Post
Old 05-12-2004, 13:16   #7
Bellerophon
Asset

This is my second post and I have refrained from posting because of my general ignorance. I am encountering a situation similar to that of Skipjack. I am asplenic and in the process of obtaining a waiver for this condition.
Quote:
Originally posted by Surgicalcric
Skipjack:
Having been thru what you are going thru, I can tell you there is a policy, though not adheared to by all MEPS, that anyone receiving a waiver to enlist cannot receive BAC in their initial contract. This means no 11X w/ airborne, option 40 (Ranger contract), or 18X for anyone receiving a waiver for anything medical.
You can play hardball or just wait your time like TR has suggested. I would doubt the hardball approach will get you far based on my experience and that of another board member here but anything is worth a shot. All they can say is no, and they have said that once already.
James D
Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
He may be right about airborne school, but we are getting quite a few guys with waivers into the 18X program.
Sounds like he is trying to fill his 11B quota, and save his 18X slot.
During a conversation with the recruiting station’s First Sergeant I was informed that I am disqualified from the 18X contract. After a few phone calls the First Sergeant assured me that Airborne would be available post waiver. In the context of the above quotes, am I being mislead?

I am confused because I had interpreted AR 40-501 as granting general waiver authority which applied across the board to conditions such as mine. Is the modifying language listed below a complete exception to the general authority?

5–13. Asplenic soldiers
a. Asplenic soldiers are disqualified from initial training and duty in military specialties involving significant
occupational exposure to dogs or cats.
b. Asplenic soldiers are disqualified from initial Special Forces training.
54 AR 40–501 • 19 February 2004

If AR 40-501 5-13 (b) is a complete exception to the general authority does “initial” only apply to the 18X pipeline or will I have additional problems later on?

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
If you get in, no matter what the MOS, as soon as you are an E-3(P), you can request and schedule for SFAS.
I was assured at the station that SFAS would still be available but only through the traditional approach because of the medical waiver. I will be entering as an E-4. My undergraduate degree is in Psychology and I am completing my Juris Doctor this summer. In the context of “no matter what the MOS” do the members of this forum have opinions or suggestions as to what specialties I should pursue or avoid? The word around the camp fire is that I should avoid UBF (Underwater Bulk Fuel) at all costs.

I am sorry if I am jumping the gun with any of these questions. When handing out assignments a professor of mine would always remind us that Proper Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance. With that in mind I do not under any circumstances want to be under prepared or under informed while pursuing my goal of serving in the Special Forces.

Hopefully my asking the above questions does not demonstrate or draw into question either my ability to be a self starter or my ability to operate in an ambiguous environment.

Thank you for your time, and thank you in advance for your thoughts and opinions.
I'm taking about the kind of fear that makes you think that should you ever want to attack the US and communicate this desire to a friend, by calling him or sending him an e-mail or even sending him a hand-written note via stealth donkey brigade, you would just cease to exist and never know why. The kind of fear that maks you afraid to do anything but keep everyone happy and on the same page. Jimbo 03-12-06

Last edited by Bellerophon; 05-12-2004 at 13:20.
Bellerophon is offline   Reply With Quote