Thread: Be Prepared
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2006, 18:17   #150
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire
if I may stretch this topic, how about in places where the 2nd amendment is not too popular. Since I'd assume one does not want to intentionally turn his/her living room to a warzone, what can provide the same deterrent effect as a racked shotgun?
Sound of a pair of rott scratching and growling behind the door? This will require the dogs be properly trained. How about a poster that says: this house is under divine protection of Chuck Norris?
This is an area I was waiting for someone to breach.

There is more to defense than buying a gun and some ammo. OTOH, there are very few places in this country where you cannot have a firearm in your residence. NYC and DC are the only two I am familiar with. Get the pump gun and go shoot some skeet or sporting clays. Now you have a reason to own a gun.

What is the threat? What are you preparing to defend yourself against? Be realistic. As mentioned, look at your residence (or wherever you plan to go) from a criminal's view. Eliminate blind spots, establish a perimeter, get some early warning, and harden your position as necessary. You don't necessarily need an alarm, in most cases, you just need the sign. Especially if the neighbors don't have one. Note: Do not steal the neighbors' alarm sign. They may have cameras, too. Pete is on target with his assessment. BTW, the cops will usually help you do this analysis through the crime prevention office.

I have friends ask me about buying a 1000 yard sniper rifle. I tell them to get their laser rangefinder, step outside their house and let me know how far they can see, much less shoot. Okay, maybe they can see a water tower 1000 yards in a specific direction. Why are they shooting someone at that range? Is someone at that range a threat? What do they have up there, a mortar? An M-2 HMG? Get real, this isn't Stalingrad. Try to keep all projectiles and impacts on your property.

What do you do when you are confronted by someone, but they are a Non-Lethal Threat (NLT)? Will you shoot someone for stealing from your garden? What if it is a hungry kid? Do what the cops do and have a range of force options. Get some OC spray and a baton (or an ASP, or the aforementioned bat). Bear in mind that if you are out of your home, it looks much better if you have a glove and ball in the same general area as the bat.

Are you really to kill another human being to protect yourself and your property? Think long and hard on this. If the answer is no, do us all a favor and do not get the gun. You will probably lose it.

BTW, dogs are great, but it is increasingly difficult to get liability insurance if you own a larger breed like a Rottie. Smaller (not tiny) ones can be nearly as effective. I see the dog as a deterrent when no one is home, a guard when the family is home without me, and as a warning device when I am. Just let me know they are outside, I'll take it from there.

I would start with the non-lethal, get some training, then get a shotgun, buy a pistol, and consider getting a rifle, if you have the range and inclination to get it. In an urban apartment, probably not a good idea. Many ranges rent firearms to shooters. Better to find out that the Dirty Harry hogleg is too much for you before you plunk down $600 and later find out how little trade they will give you back for it. Got kids? Teach them about guns (Eddie Eagle), take them shooting, and keep the guns and ammo not under your immediate control locked up.

Good discussion, keep it up.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote