Thread: 18A Description
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2006, 18:30   #30
Warrior-Mentor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe111
I have read a lot on this site about the SF pipeline for enlisted guys going through the 18x program. I am currently in some ROTC classes and interested in the Army after graduation. I mentioned that SF was my goal to the NCO teaching my class. He recommended the officer corp to a guy with my educational background and thinks I would do quite well in it. He said if SF is my goal I can go for 18A. My question is what is the recommended pipeline for a guy in my situation if 18A is my goal? After getting a commission as an Infantry officer, on average how long is it before you are considered branch qualified and able to attend SFAS?
Hey Joe,
"Where you going with the gun in your hand?" - Hendrix...couldn't resist.

With your educational background...hope you got a couple of scholarships.
18A is the only option for SF officers. Recommended pipeline is to get you a combat arms branch, but not just combat arms, maneuver...ideally, Infantry. Second choice would be Armor...with Combat Engineer third (their secondary mission is Infantry).

Would recommend two years Platoon Leader time minimum. Will give you enough time to understand the basics of the Army before jumping into SF. Key will be staying in touch with the SF Branch Future Readiness Officer (the SF Officer Recruiter), to ensure you submit your SFAS packet as soon as your year group is eligible. Year groups are filling up quickly and he who hesitates is lost...but that's the job of an LT.

Best of Luck,
JM

Oh, and fill out your profile...
Warrior-Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote