View Single Post
Old 01-27-2022, 11:13   #19
abc_123
Quiet Professional

I did nothing to encourage my two boys to join. Both college athletes and would have been an asset.

One thought about West Point and I was shocked at the PC bullshit that permeated even the entrance application required essays and then athletics took him elsewhere. He then thought about doing the Marine Platoon Leader Course (or whatever it's called) as he was graduating another school, and my advice to him was to plan to do the minimum number of required years and then take his 401K money and get out.

As a retiree, I am very very thankful for what I have as far as pay and benefits and the new GI bill payed for one kids college. As a young man, I was smart, but a dumbass who had no life plan, so the Army was a good move for me. I was lucky that Afghanistan got me back in full time after left for civilian life and a stint as a traditional guardsman to make it a career (and fortunate that I only have what I would consider acceptable wear and tear all things considered). .

I would have felt 10' tall if either of my boys chose to serve, but I just couldn't bring myself to sell it to them. In a way, I kinda feel bad about that. But then I think about it, and don't.