Thread: 18A Description
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2006, 22:14   #28
Go For Broke
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornefox
I am currently heading to Benning for the Captains Career Course and then return to start the Special Forces Qualification Course.
This one caught my eye, and if I may offer my $0.02

To the future 18As:
Learn and absorb from IC3 or whatever Captains Career Course you attend. Mounted infantry company tactics...you'll probably see it again....dismounted infantry company tactics...you'll probably see it again.
Those courses which you might choose to (or have already chosen to) blow off as "insignifcant" such as IPB or MDMP...I'd be willing to bet a beer or two that you will see it again.
That 'boring' lecture on fire support... "Logistics? Who needs to pay attention in that class by the loggie guy...I could be PTing" Keep thinking that... If you search through some of these threads, you will find some references to the pre-Branch days, when an SF officer served as a INF BN staff officer...probably a good reason. Think you only need to pay attention to the Company level planning? What is the role of an 18D besides giving you a bandaid ? What is the role of an 18C besides making things go boom?

The second piece of advice I would offer is this. Special Forces means special training in a special form of warfare...not special privilages. Everyone in the military receives special training, how many 18As know how to manually calculate a gunnery firing solutions? How many 18As know how to pilot a helicopter? How many 18As know how many 463-L pallets can be loaded in a C-130?

Lastly, sell SF. How can we help the other branches / services to do their job better, easier, faster, simpler?
How can we (SF) support them? We may be the "tip of the spear" but without the rest of the spear... Just like D.I.M.E, Military is only one part of the whole.

V/R,
Go For Broke is offline   Reply With Quote