View Single Post
Old 05-17-2004, 10:09   #8
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

I have served in the 5th, 7th, 8th, 10th and 46th C0. They are, in fact different because each had a distinctly different orientation and mission. To say one was "better" than another is like saying "Mine is bigger than yopurs". The 5th was in RVN and I served in C&C. The 7th (while I was there) really had no mission other than a holding company for rotating troops in and out of RVN. That has changed. The 8th was a Special Action Force with many MTTs going to Latin American Countries., the 10th (in Germany) was UW oriented to include "Stay Behind" which seems to be what the terrorists in Iraq are conducting. The 46th Company was primarily involved in training the Thai SF and BPP as well as other classified operations in Laos and and parts east.

I learned most of my SF Lore in the 10th; got my combat experience in the 5th;and hated the 7th in 69-70. I think they kept it screwed up so people would volunteer to go back to RVN. I served as a UWO and SAR instructor in the 8th and as an UWO instructor in Thailand.

One thing I learned: When you leave a unit it is the "worst" you have ever served in. When you arrive at your new assignment itsucks as compared to your last -- at least that's your story. When you arrive at a new unit you hear how good it "used to be" - just before you arrived and how it now sucks. Tends to give one a complex.

Perhaps it would be better to say that Groups differ in their missions rather than personality. If I had a choiuce I would pick the 10th in Germany of course neither that assignment nor I are available.

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote