View Single Post
Old 02-03-2014, 14:19   #66
Charlie1bear
Asset

I was assigned to ODA-022, got to Toelz in December 88 til Mar 90. I was one of the last of the 5th Group refugees to be fortunate to get an over seas assignment to Toelz while 5th Group moved to FCKY.
The selection process was truly unbiased in the respect that they selected people that had never had an overseas tour.
I had spent my entire career in "Airborne" units, so had never left Bragg for 13 consecutive years until then.
I had no idea what was going on. I was assigned to Mott Lake when I first got to 5th Group and then went to Ft Gordon for ANOC. When I got back my company had moved back to main post. The old "Delta" stock-aid compound and I got my orders for Bad Toelz. No one ever told me 5th Group was moving. It was old news by time I got back. I found out 2 years later when I walked into PERSTAT looking for my orders to go back to Bragg.
Toelz is where I meet Corky. Luckiest SOB I ever met. Don't play poker with that man. I married one of the local Krauts from Munich (Divorced now). I couldn't stand to see the place after the Regular Army ran us out and it was announced they were going to knock it down. I wanted to remember it the way it was. Absolutely BEATIFUL. even the Army couldn't mess that up.
ODA-022 had a great team room too. Nice bar with a Balcony looking at the Alps. The 2 years I spent there was just amazing. The absolute best time of life and my career. A real adventure from the moment I got there until I left.
Wonder what happened to Patton's desk? It was in the NCO School Commandants office.
Charlie1bear is offline   Reply With Quote