View Single Post
Old 09-17-2009, 16:06   #48
vcorpstac
Asset

Thumbs up 7th NCO at Flint

I was at the NCO March 1966. I have read with interest and humor some of the great posts here. When we were there the floors were polished with Good old "KIWI" black shoe polish.My most vivid memory of the place was the map reading course somewhere out towards the ALps. We had practiced for couple days prior to the actual test. The night before the test it snowed 2+feet and everything but everything was white and buried. What made the course most interesting was the central area of the course which is where the 10th Blew stuff up. We were told not to enter the area due to unexploded ordinance yet we had to transect the area in order to locate pre maked stakes in the ground which were now buried under snow. It was quite challenging but I made it. Mostly it was sleep deprivation bed at about 11 or 12 after all the studying and duties and up at 4am. 28 days of basic O.D. torture. Passed and got back to my unit and made E-5 about 2 weeks later. You didn't dare flunk out and embarass your unit! I still have the student guide which was issued to incoming "meat". I look at it now and can't imagine ever going through that again yet I somehow think I could still handle it. Best of luck to all vets.
vcorpstac is offline   Reply With Quote