View Single Post
Old 12-12-2013, 15:59   #49
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
If you where wanting to study what was going in a country and looking at how a population is using, communicating and the role of unified communications in their actives. What would you want to know? If SM was motivating a sect of population, what parts of the communication platforms would you be looking at.
I've been holding off posting on this thread for a bit as I just finished Kilcullen's Out of the Mountains.

His book includes aspects of SM as it relates to mobilizing, protest, and revolution in Tunisia, Egypt, and Libya.

Here's an interesting slice from the book:

http://www.fastcoexist.com/3019039/h...he-arab-spring

I'm guessing this is an example of offensive UW use of SM.

It identifies a group called "Takrizards" or "Taks" for short as a hacker group that had long opposed the Tunisian regime.

While their use of connectedness to better secure/defend their communication as well as attack the regime online was innovative, this "air war" as labeled by Kilcullen didn't gain traction until a "ground war" with boots on the ground could be established in the form of soccer/football team supporter hooligans called "Ultras".

So it would appear the Ultras had their political consciousness awakened by the Taks who leveraged their sports related violence and helped to shape them to direct that violence against the regime as well as to coordinate/focus their violence against the regime.

I like Kilcullen's labeling of "air war" for the online activity and "ground war" for the offline real world activity that relates to conventional military operations where seizing and holding ground is essential to victory.

Trusted online networks connected with and force multiplied trusted human networks. Which sounds strikingly like a near future SF mission.

But I wonder if the extreme difficulty in centrally coordinating such an offensive campaign voids such analogous "air war" and "ground war" labeling?

To me a contact/airborne virus in a healthy/unhealthy human body analogy or an analogy related to fire, dry/wet tinder, and accelerants feels more relevant.

While I am slowly starting to grasp the absolute enormity of SM and how many different facets, levels, and missions exist from both state and non-state actor perspectives, what interests me the most is:

W5H (Who, What, When, Where, Why, How) is it possible for a group like the Taks to connect with the Ultras?

And can that be replicated/templated/trained/TTP'd both offensive/defensive? (NOT fishing for details)

It's that connection point between online trusted and existing human trusted network crossover that interests me the most.

The leap from online to human.......like virus transmission from contact to airborne(or vice versa) or smoldering ember hit with an accelerant maybe?
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote