Thread: FID Iraq
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2007, 06:33   #14
Crue
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnremf View Post
Now that I'm done with my rant. FID is so much damn fun! Especially when DA is involved after their training cycle. When we do operations with our Iraqi counterparts it's the best time ever. They're all smiles, bouncing around, singing and dancing. Their motivation is infectious. We'll hop on the birds to go do a hit and they are fired up. It's everything I can muster to keep up with them to the door. They will breach the door and have a typical Iraqi house cleared in under 20 seconds. I don't think I'll ever be able to top my time here with this Iraqi unit. They love training and they love fighting.
Now that I have been back for awhile and have really been able to think about this last deployment I had I have really been thinking about some of things we could have done better, I have a few questions for the experts.
When you are doing FID what is your role, as an advisor, in the command structrue of the foreign unit? I have been reading a lot about Vietnam and it seems as if most of the advisors were the defacto unit leaders for the locals. Is this correct? From every echelon we were told that the Iraqi Army was in charge and we were only there to train, provide fire support/medevacs, and coordination with adjacent units.
Crue is offline   Reply With Quote