View Single Post
Old 05-02-2022, 20:37   #4
Box
Quiet Professional

The quickest way to become an 18 series is to go to the SFQC.

As far as your other options - I'm not sure why a recruiter would discourage an option 40 contract. If you are looking for high adventure, Ranger Regiment is a good place to start. PLUS - an option 40 contract means you will also go to airborne school on your way through the pipeline. An option 40 contract will test your guts because you will have to go to RASP (or whatever they call it these days) along your path. Hell, you may get to the backside of an option-40 enlistment and decide that you are happy right where you are at.

An airborne option sounds neat but you could end up anywhere - the Army is full of airborne qualified infantrymen that arent in an airborne unit. A regular 11 series contract could land you in a place that makes you doubt why you came to the party. My son loved Colorado - hated the 4th ID. The unit soured his attitude toward the Army and when his time is up, he's out.

The best way to become an SF guy is to go and be an SF guy - everything else is just a detour. Tell the recruiter to get you an SF waiver. That's what waivers are for.

Just my two cents
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote