View Single Post
Old 06-13-2009, 08:47   #17
Lmmsoat
Asset

Richard, I agree. If you are in it for the money you are in the wrong profession and I don't want you on my team. Though I don't believe anyone on this board is in it for the money. What I do feel is that most guys in group feel vastly under-appreciated. They have the feeling that no one in the chain of command cares about their sacrifices. I do enjoy the reality checks that you and the older generation provide for us. Last time I checked no group was doing year long tours, and back to back tours don't mean 2-3 years straight. I had the "opportunity" to chase down several knuckle heads through jungle-like terrain. It was the most puckering 5 hours of my life. I was literally on top of these fellas before I could engage them. I couldn't imagine doing it for a year straight.

The big difference between conflicts of past and the present are the availability of options. Private sector jobs are abundant on the outside for whoever wants them. The higher skill level you bring to the hiring table the higher your potential wages. I once bumped into a blackwater contractor making six figures. The guy was a former marine admin clerk whose only job was to ride on a helicopter as QRF. On top of the OCONUS contracts you have everyone and their brother building training sites, hiring former QP's for CONUS work.

I was offered the "big money" carrot many moons ago just prior to re-enlistment. I had my own personal reasons for not taking the bait and getting out. The next guy might have just as many reasons why he hates the military/the army/group/etc. and ETS.

I have more than a dozen friends who have gotten out for jobs on the outside. One had over 15 years in. They were all great guys and I never faulted them for doing so. But, almost to the man they regretted the decision (the only guy who doesn't, left with a huge chip on his shoulder). In the private sector (minus a few higher end jobs) no one has your back and it's every man for himself. That's the basic summary from 14 out of 15 former SF.

Incentive pay is cool and all if it ever does come down, but what will it change? You will still be going on the same deployments, you will still have the same chain of command you hate, and the same guys who want to get out will still get out. It's kind of like a civil lawsuit, "Your honor, I know I will never get my (fill in blank here) back, but 2 million dollars will make me feel better about it."

Now I will hide behind a rock in anticipation of stuff being thrown at me.
Lmmsoat is offline   Reply With Quote