View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 08:47   #7
11Ber
Quiet Professional

Several issues first (I know I am an asshole): 1. No introduction-I know some people are waived periodically to post without and intro. If you are one, my apologies. If not, fix it and you may find a lot more people reaching out with advice or general shit talking. 2. You call yourself a "NG medical sergeant". You are a Company Senior Medic. As far as I know and can find via Google, the only MOS with medical sergeant in it is 18D. You are not an 18D...yet. I know it's semantics but I busted my ass to earn the title.

Now, at 42 you aren't old at all. We have 46 year old guys in my company running teams and 50 mile races. Guys that did Ranger school in their 40's and then Best Ranger very soon after. But everyday you ponder the decision is a day older. If being a 18D on an ODA is your goal, nothing will stop you.

Being a PA as well would make you even more of an asset to the team. Not just for taking care of brothers on the team but having a PA on a VSO site taking care of locals and teaching/mentoring local medical personnel would be exponentially rewarding. But look at the time line, 2-2.5 yrs in the Q plus 2 years at PA school and you are now 46-47 with little to no real team time. So to echo what others have said, do what you want the most now. Remember, you can go to PA school at 55 but can your body survive the Q at 50? Good luck and stay safe over there.
11Ber is offline   Reply With Quote