View Single Post
Old 01-23-2022, 00:02   #8
Box
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailaviborita View Post
...to get at the intangible and subjective. You have to figure out values.
I love a good necro-post and this one is awesome. Quite some years ago I worked with a Marine and he talked about getting at the intangibles and the subjective as it related to the USMC recruiting approach and like you said - its all about the value system.

Ever since then, I've used this analogy:

For years, the US Army has appealed to the selfish side of recruits.
Join the Army - we'll give you money for college.
Join the Army - we'll teach you a skill that you can use when you get out.
Join the Army and travel the world.
Join the Army, we'll embrace your dysphoria.

The USMC doesn't have to pitch any of that shit.
Hey there Mr Gunnery Sergeant - the Army recruiter said he'll give me college money...
-Well, the Marines give you college money too. So do the Air Force and the Navy.
Well then Mr Gunnery Sergeant, why should I join the Marines if everyone gives out the same college money?
-Well, because you'll get to be a mother fucking Marine.

Look at those old commercials - Army commercials had people in the back of a commo van, learning how to talk on the radio.
Or a guy waving his canteen cup at the 1SG as if that shot would really go down that way.
Or one lone dude literally running the opposite way as everything going on behind him as we marched forward with an 'Army of One'.

The USMC had a commercial where a guy climbed up a mountain, picked up a fucking broad sword imbued with a lightning bolt, and killed a fucking dragon.
The Army drinks coffee - the fucking Marines Kill Dragons with electrified fuck swords.

The Army isn't the least bit interested in espousing a value system. Even now - our online recruiting campaigns address our acceptance of intersectionality and our commitment to helping the new generation recognize their true identity. We offer intersectional single parents a welcome home while the Marines fight a running gun battle.

"We" talk a good story, but our senior Army leaders are stuck using words like campus and enterprise instead of barracks and unit.
the light is fading folks - the sun is going down and the close of the day is getting closer.

(at this point, some of you should be hearing Rodney Dangerfields booming voice in your head, emotionally reciting the words from an old Dylan Thomas poem)

Quote:
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

Values are so 2000 and late.

These
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote