Thread: BSN to 18D
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2018, 09:17   #4
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2theM View Post
I was a nonselect a few years ago, most likely due to the peer evaluation process, from my point of view it was a popularity contest,
Excuse -> Blame someone else, lack of personal responsibility

Quote:
(I’m a reserved guy) and lack of being a leader.

Excuse -> rationalizing your failure to meet the challenge

Quote:
Everyone is trying to be a leader at SFAS, I thought to myself why not just keep my mouth shut and get to grinding instead of adding my two cents in.

A team is made up of individuals working together for a common goal, not a bunch of individuals doing their own thing and looking out for themselves

Quote:
I ETSd and will be receiving my BSN next year.

Poor decision making -> Time effort and money went into your successful completion of a nursing degree, and for what? to give it up and be something else before you have even done that job.

Quote:
Now there’s no way I’ll be reenlisting with a nursing degree to be an 18x and possibly end up as an 11b. I’ve heard stories of officers giving up their officer status to be an SF NCO.
- You are not "re-enlisting", you are enlisting for a second time.
Poor situational awareness / trying to backdoor the system from non select status - Yes, there are officers (Physicians - not nurses) who have resigned their commission to become SF NCO's, but they still had to endure the entire process, front to back SFAS to GP assignment. No automatics, and being a nurse wouldn't get you an "auto conversion" to SF NCO. And when you are a non-select from SFAS or fail out of the pipeline after resigning your commission...you will be an 11B E-4 instead of a Nurse 2LT

Quote:
And if I remember correctly we got to pick MOS preferences, are these really looked at?

Yes they are...but they are your "wants"...not necessarily what you are going to get.

Quote:
But during team week you can tell who’s friends with who and who gets selected at the end. Regardless of who was more of a team player. If you can’t agree with that you’re lying or you had a team with integrity.
Tread carefully there STUD...you have no idea what the selection process or criteria is. If you think peer evals are the only block that needs to be checked a "go"...you have generated another excuse to rationalize your failure.
"Nobody likes me so I didn't get picked with the cool kids"
NO - YOU failed to meet the minimum standards and should accept personal responsibility for it, do some introspection, and either improve yourself i.e. BE A NURSE or consider that time wasted and move on to something else.

You will not be successful in Army Special Forces.

I have no need to validate my background to you but I will say I started my team time in 1990 and retired in 2014...including time as SFAS cadre and Phase 1/3 instructor while enlisted and I retired as the 5th SFG(A) PA.

You wanted an 18D to shed some insight....there you go.

Now, go be successful - as a nurse. You worked hard for it, enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote