View Single Post
Old 06-14-2010, 00:02   #7
Mitch
Quiet Professional

I was the main dude on our team at Devens in 85 for 6 months. I never gave it any thought - it just took them a while to find a new O3 when ours was suddenly moved on up to Group HQ. I always felt, at the time, that I was just a caretaker commander. assuminmg that if anything came up that was really high priority, they would fill the slot, but nothing ever did.

But that was 85/86 - none of us in the WO posiiton really understood the expectations I don't believe - the most we ever discusssed was to become "split" team commanders from time to time. The guys on the team did not understand either. I was the first Warrant they ever had so they did not know what to expect from me at all. It was a mutual learning experiance then.

Heck - can you believe that was 25 years ago - sounds like the kinks have been worked out by now though.

I do remember one major disapointment that our team had of me back then, right after I first got there. I politely said no when they tried to pawn off the G-43 Generator on me. Being an ex commo man - I was not about to pick that thing back up again if I could help it. Traditionally given to the most unappreaciated position on the team - the LT-XO. I was not about to mark myself with that tag on day one. I didn't mind sharing it from time to time, but I was not going to make it my personal property.