View Single Post
Old 06-15-2009, 06:50   #10
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Guys also sometimes feel that the leadership does not value them or is not looking out for their best interest.
This is a long-running thread in the history of the American military.

Two anecdotes from our country’s founding capture the independent thinking of the American soldier and the greatness of the Army officer who led them. During the Revolution, a man in civilian clothes rode past a redoubt being repaired. The commander was shouting orders but not helping.

When the rider asked why, the supervisor of the work detail retorted, “Sir, I am a corporal!”

The stranger apologized, dismounted, and helped repair the redoubt. When he was done, he turned toward the supervisor and said, “Mr. Corporal, next time you have a job like this and not enough men to do it, go to your Commander-in-Chief and I will come and help you again.”

Too late, the corporal recognized George Washington.

The power of example in leadership.

On another occasion, Washington was making his rounds and came across a Private John Brantley drinking some stolen wine. Brantley invited Washington to have a drink with him.

The general declined, saying, “My boy, you have no time for drinking wine.”

Brantley responded, “Damn your proud soul – you’re above drinking with soldiers.”

Washington turned back, dismounted and said, “Come, I will drink with you.”

The jug was passed around, and as the general re-mounted, Brantley said, “Now, I’ll be damned if I don’t spend the last drop of my heart’s blood for you.”

A lesson in the independence of the American soldier and his loyalty, when treated with respect.

http://elitestv.com/pub/2009/05/defe...cement-address

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote