View Single Post
Old 03-29-2021, 18:39   #12
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer View Post
Overt. Mags, med kit, other items one might want if dropped into a hostile place.
What, like Compton?

I haven't spent much on my stuff. It's not made by a famous former SOF name but it serves well, with less dollar output. A mix of internet One Tigris, Condor, and some MILSURP stuff given to me when a unit un-assed the base I worked at. (I love guys that are too lazy to pack.) And more MILSURP stuff sent from a very good friend; it's all a Heinz 57 kinda thing. And while it's nostalgia-time, my old Alice stuff just hangs there. The new shit is much better.

This approach works for me, and that is to split it up, or think in terms of layers. I run a battle-belt/warbelt/nomme du jour that is in the truck and goes with me just walking around some hunting property to make sure a certain adjacent crew haven't setup a meth lab in a valley at the other end. Couple extra AR mags, a holster for pistola, IFAK in its own pouch (reachable either hand), and a small pouch in which I can stuff an h/t if someone's back at the house that might actually listen. Oh, yeah, a field knife stays there. A warbelt approach - for me - is quick to don, light and has what I'm likely to need. I work to resist the temptation to load too much on to it, filling up space on the belt as guys do. That way it stays light & "grabbable."

For ramping it up (Compton time) I additionally have a plate carrier that has a 3-panel mag carrier on the front and an admin pouch as well as an additional rip-away med pouch and a snivel gear pouch on the back. I don't make judgements about whether people go with open or closed mag carriers; mine are closed. I live in all 4-seasons sometimes triple-canopy deciduous, along with snow or mud Do whatever works.

If going with a chest-rig or plate carrier I'd recommend getting some MOLLE capability on the sides vs. just connecting straps/buckles front to back. There always seems to be one more thing you'd like to hang on the side where it's handy but out of the way more, even if it's just a place to stuff a water bottle, or route a radio or some other piece of gear. This particular setup also has the comms on-board linking with like-minded neighbors running same gear, same SOI, etc.

Good luck, er, uh, to your friend.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote